The Orville: the Thread

KenJennings

Season two kicks off next week, so I just re-watched season one. If you liked Star Trek in the 90s, give it a shot. I know a lot of folks who were hesitant to try it out because it has a lot of comedy, but it's definitely not "Family Guy in Space". It's much more like Star Trek The Next Generation with a little ironic self-awareness. While it can fall into all the cliches and hammy writing that plague that kind of show; speaking a TNG die-hard, it is probably my single favorite running TV show. It's created with a lot of sincerity and honor for it's genre. I think the Orville is carrying the torch for Star Trek; and while Star Trek Discovery's second season shows promise, it let me down with its first.

I can't wait to see what they've got in store for next year. It sounds like they've got a few cast changes coming. I enjoy the Orville's ensemble and there isn't one bad character in the bunch, so I'll be disappointed if we have to lose anyone. UItimately, everyone involved has sounded positive about it, and the first season was awesome; so I expect a lot out of Seth and crew for this year.

Anyone else excited for season 2?

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Last week's was a strange episode for sure, but at it's heart, had a good story. Uncomfortable as it got, it served the characters well and moved the ball forward.

As far as I know, this episode was a holdover from the previous season. This week should mark the real tonal debut for season two.

Really, really loved tonight's episode. That ending was exactly what I need from TV now.

For a show to commit to its principles- for the characters to do the right thing, overwhelmingly against the odds... it's really inspiring. Where every other show on TV seems to be running toward pragmatic, glum anti-heroism (at best), the Orville is standing its ground with a message of hope and optimism.

10/10, and The Orville is back in its groove.

• Like 1

Answer me one thing.....is the series better than the trailer?....because that was about as funny as throat cancer.

Yes, if you're talking about the original trailer for the first season from last year. They portrayed it as being too funny. I guess with Seth MacFarlane being on it they wanted to make it look like Family Guy in space since he's so well known for that show. Even he didn't like the original trailers for it. There is humor on the show but it's put in the right spots. Overall, it's a very well written show with solid performances. It's much more serious than funny.

Seth loves Star Trek and it shows. There's very little comedy, and I think the comedy is only there because it's how he got the thing green lit. It's obvious he'd rather do the whole show straight. Do NOT watch this for comedy. As a comedy it sucks. As SF in the spirit of Star Trek it is excellent. Seth's not even a good actor. But his respect for Trek had made The Orville a winner.
  • Like 1

Tonight's episode had a really interesting premise, but felt a little overambitious. I didn't care for the out and out shootout toward the end, which apparently resulted in zero consequences. It all felt rushed to it's conclusion. Not a bad episode, by any means; but it was structurally one of The Orville's weaker entries.

Ok, watched a couple of episodes of this and have to say I was pleasantly surprised

It makes it all the more puzzling why they shot that Godawful trailer which wasn't representative of the show at all.

Saying that, it's average at best, and I'll be in no hurry to watch more.

Can't see what's so good about it? My SIL raved about it so we watched an episode right before New Year's at her house. It is obvious they like Star Trek but it is a pale imitation and the cast is Meh for me. Guess it might be time for a binge watch of B5.

Ok, that was probably the funniest episode of The Orville to date. It was silly, yet still carried weight for the development of the characters. Excellent use of the actors, and top notch writing this week. A total callback to the TNG episode "In Theory", but maybe even more well done.

And one of my favorite people was seen in it... not just heard.

Edited by KenJennings

Great Conclusion. The Orville's "Best of Both World's" moment.

The stakes were high, everything was pretty much predictable, and everything was well executed. Nothing is lost in the predictable moments of this show. You know exactly where it's going, and when you get there, it's entirely fulfilling. It's like a perfectly balanced Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. Nothing is going to shake you to your core, but it never lets you down.

I love the way the Orville is remaining focused on the characters. The subplot last night with Bortus and Klyden taking up smoking had me rolling. These characters are really whole, and they're entirely relatable. Seth has done an incredible job creating such a welcoming and comfortable universe.

The longer Orville lasts the more Seth's obvious intention to create another Trek series bears out. I honestly believe that he'd scrap the stupid humor entirely if the channel would let him. It's at its best when it is serious.

The acting is fairly poor on the whole, but the stories are pure Trek.

• Like 1

Never heard of it.

pcG2tzV.gif

And now you have. It's currently in its second season. Do you know the cartoon Family Guy? The creator of that, Seth MacFarlane, created The Orville. Just a very good but different take on the Star Trek theme. It has some humor in it but its not overdone and is put in the right spots.

This show is so good. There is nothing like it on modern TV. It's thoughtful, lovable, vivid, funny and it looks just great. Tonight's episode was an absolute chicken dinner in my book. Edited by KenJennings

I almost posted this in Star Trek since we have been talking New Horizons there. Some thing felt off for me with season 3 a.k.a. New Horizons, I find some of the criticism a bit harsh but on point quite a bit. Warning: the source is a conservative website so if you're quick to soil your panties skip it. 

https://thefederalist.com/2022/08/25/the-orvilles-sanctimony-switch-up-in-new-horizons-falls-flat/