Lee's amazing book...

toymaker

My copy just got delivered - I've spent the last 45 minutes or so just flipping through and being blown away. This truly is an amazing piece of work, and I'm glad I have a couple of weeks off to spend some time with it.

Seriously, seriously impressed.

• Like 6

My copy just got delivered - I've spent the last 45 minutes or so just flipping through and being blown away. This truly is an amazing piece of work, and I'm glad I have a couple of weeks off to spend some time with it.

Seriously, seriously impressed.

I'm glad to hear that! It was going to be on my Christmas list, but I asked Santa to hold off- I'm hoping to get one at a book signing in the New Year. The excerpts I've seen look very interesting and I really want to read the interviews with the different bassists.

• Like 2

It’s perfect for gear fetishists—he gets into some of the real minituiae and covers a fairly amazing spread of brands I’d never heard of in addition to the usual suspects. Occasionally, though he just throws a few photos and not much history, like with Steinberger—he doesn’t get into any of that company’s history or into any real detail about the instrument even, except that he was at the point of having so many synths and pedals and mics that every time he’d turn, his headstock would smack into a mic, so he gave the Steiberger a try and then got tired of it after a couple of years. Clearly that was only included because it was one of his tour basses, and he does a rundown of pretty much every bass he used in Rush near the end of the book. The interviews are often cool reads. I posted in another thread about the Bill Wyman interview—he really was not shy about letting Geddy have it a couple of times over how much rougher Bill had it as a kid/early on. Geddy did a great job of getting their personalities captured without it consuming the whole book. That said there were a couple where I was left wishing he had more room for another page or two.
  • Like 4

I always thought his tone on Madrigal was just his regular Ric bass with a chorus effect on it

He admits he might be misremembering: (re: Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo fretless): "Obviously the most strking aspect of this instrument is the continuous, fret-free length of bubinga fingerboard. I didn't have the heart to put roundwounds on it. I've used this bass sparingly and for recording only--in the late 1970s on 'Madrigal,' if memory serves (which it usually doesn't)."

Kind of a shame that he didn't interview Paul McCartney. Was there a more popular bassist at that time? Probably not... and his Hofner bass and Vox amp were seen on many stages after he became famous in 1964. Love the bass line "baby, you can drive my car." And, in Hey, Bulldog.

Kind of a shame that he didn't interview Paul McCartney. Was there a more popular bassist at that time? Probably not... and his Hofner bass and Vox amp were seen on many stages after he became famous in 1964. Love the bass line "baby, you can drive my car." And, in Hey, Bulldog.

Actually, I'm not too disappointed that 'Sir Paul' wasn't included. He's kind of wrapped up in his own legend and gear is probably too trivial to discuss at this point. I think someone like Stanley Clarke would have been an interesting interview, but perhaps Geddy wanted to stick with people he was more familiar with.

It’s perfect for gear fetishists—he gets into some of the real minituiae and covers a fairly amazing spread of brands I’d never heard of in addition to the usual suspects. Occasionally, though he just throws a few photos and not much history, like with Steinberger—he doesn’t get into any of that company’s history or into any real detail about the instrument even, except that he was at the point of having so many synths and pedals and mics that every time he’d turn, his headstock would smack into a mic, so he gave the Steiberger a try and then got tired of it after a couple of years. Clearly that was only included because it was one of his tour basses, and he does a rundown of pretty much every bass he used in Rush near the end of the book. The interviews are often cool reads. I posted in another thread about the Bill Wyman interview—he really was not shy about letting Geddy have it a couple of times over how much rougher Bill had it as a kid/early on. Geddy did a great job of getting their personalities captured without it consuming the whole book. That said there were a couple where I was left wishing he had more room for another page or two.

Being the son of a Holocaust victim is nothing to sneeze at

• Like 1

I still want to read the original 845 page manuscript! Taking my time with this. Only just got to the Precision Bass chapter. Learning a lot too.

• Like 2

I spent all last week recovering from the flu I had started having the day before the signing, so I had plenty of time to read. I find that kind of stuff fascinating. If I were rich, I’d have a bunch of vintage instruments. As it stands, the best I’ve managed to accumulate is a 1967 Gretsch student snare drum, an ‘87 Ludwig Coliseum snare, a 3 piece clear blue mid 70s Ludwig vistalite kit, a DW 3 piece kit (used on Monster Magnet’s Superjudge tour), a Gibson art custom & historic ‘57 LP custom reissue from around 2000 I think, and a super rare Dean guitar that was a gift. I traded away a 1971 Gibson SB bass (blonde)—the cheapy version of the EB3–in exchange for the Gretsch snare (at the time a totally even swap value-wise). At one point I had a monsterous custom Ludwig kit from around 1987 that my Coliseum snare came with—sold the rest of that kit. I also had a beautiful Gibson ‘57 goldtop reissue from a little earlier than the custom—same art custom and historic type of reissue, but it was stolen (still heartbroken over that one).

Edit—Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I still hung onto my mid 80s yamaha bronze piccolo snare and a decent pork pie snare drum that is a higher end “black beauty” knock off.

Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 2

Agreed, that slinky thing he does during the chorus in particular.

A friend got me a copy at the Bookends book signing. Great book. I will eventually look at every page, then I’ll start reading it. My only issue is the book is so heavy! Because of my MS, I’ve lost the use of my left arm. The book is kind of hard to handle with one hand! I’m sure I’ll make due though.
  • Like 3

A friend got me a copy at the Bookends book signing. Great book. I will eventually look at every page, then I’ll start reading it. My only issue is the book is so heavy! Because of my MS, I’ve lost the use of my left arm. The book is kind of hard to handle with one hand! I’m sure I’ll make due though.

Yeah, I've found the most comfortable reading position is to actually put it on a coffee table.

Yeah, I've found the most comfortable reading position is to actually put it on a coffee table.

Agreed. I’m using a large leather ottoman.

I kind of wish the book would have included some kind of book cover.

Edited by Mr. JD

When I read it it's sitting on my lap. When I'm not, the best place I've found so far is in the stereo cabinet with my programs and other odd sized things. Need to make some room in there though. Dust cover would be nice though.

• Like 1

Update to this post. I bought the electronic version of the book from the Apple book store. It was $13.00. Much easier to handle. I have a 12.9 inch iPad and it looks great. One great benefit is that you can zoom in on the pictures and see a lot more detail. I would buy this as a companion to the physical book even without my physical limitations. Highly recommend.

• Like 3

Update to this post. I bought the electronic version of the book from the Apple book store. It was $13.00. Much easier to handle. I have a 12.9 inch iPad and it looks great. One great benefit is that you can zoom in on the pictures and see a lot more detail. I would buy this as a companion to the physical book even without my physical limitations. Highly recommend.

This is great news for anyone who paid a ton for a signed luxe edition and doesn’t want to take it out of the shrinkwrap. The uber deluxe comes with an extra regular edition book. Is the Art Of Rush book available digitally?

Ordered: 23.12.2018

Anxiously expected delivery: 13.02.2019

Next Wednesday, folks!

Technology - high, on the leading edge of life...

• Like 2