Underrated Under The Radar Classic Rock Albums

RushFanForever

How under the radar is Traffic's debut, Mr. Fantasy? Because it was very under the radar for me until recently, and I think it's fantastic!

For a band with very talented musicians, I think that this album is under the radar. Other than the title cut, I have never heard any of the other songs on the radio. I love the album.

It’s so eclectic. I love eclectic.

• Like 1

How under the radar is Traffic's debut, Mr. Fantasy? Because it was very under the radar for me until recently, and I think it's fantastic!

For a band with very talented musicians, I think that this album is under the radar. Other than the title cut, I have never heard any of the other songs on the radio. I love the album.

Shoot out at the fantasy factory, is another brilliant traffic alum.
  • Like 1

Family - Bandstand

The second to last album, very strong. John Wetton plays bass on the whole thing. Roger Chapmans vocal is a bit of an acquired taste, but he still manages to come across very strong, reminiscent of Joe Cocker mixed with early Peter Gabriel.

Most of the stuff before this album is a bit more soulful and folky, but the blues influence is starting to come out stronger, and after the next album Chapman and co-leader Charlie Whitney would break Family up and form the more blues based Streetwalkers.

Family - Bandstand

http://youtu.be/23VdAJuEU1Y

The second to last album, very strong. John Wetton plays bass on the whole thing. Roger Chapmans vocal is a bit of an acquired taste, but he still manages to come across very strong, reminiscent of Joe Cocker mixed with early Peter Gabriel.

Most of the stuff before this album is a bit more soulful and folky, but the blues influence is starting to come out stronger, and after the next album Chapman and co-leader Charlie Whitney would break Family up and form the more blues based Streetwalkers.

Outstanding tune, been awhile since i listened to this--------thanks.
  • Like 1

Utterly Simple is so cool!
  • Like 1

Roger Taylor's Fun in Space. His first solo album. I think me and his mother were the only people that noticed, from what I can tell. Have always really loved the album though. My favorite voice in rock. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Roger Taylor's Fun in Space. His first solo album. I think me and his mother were the only people that noticed, from what I can tell. Have always really loved the album though. My favorite voice in rock.

I am spinning this as I write this. It's a fantastic album. If Mr. Taylor committed himself to a solo only career I believe he would have reached Bowie like success and status. Bowie's influence is all over the album (or is it the other way around?). Fun in Space is a wonderful, eclectic and fabulously enjoyable album.

• Like 2

another album that has great tunes

http://youtu.be/I6isHs8zLgE

Really hear Queen were influenced by Procol Harum...big time. Dynamics solos, classical bombast et cetera. Its not as simple as this but Queen were essentially a more poppy Procol with better hooks and more accessible. I can't think of two bands who melded Classical elements into rock as well as they did, making a very palatable sound.

Roger Taylor played on Procols later release - The Well's On Fire on the track Shadowboxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF31ReBmZ7o

Brian May-

• Like 1

Really hear Queen were influenced by Procol Harum...big time. Dynamics solos, classical bombast et cetera. Its not as simple as this but Queen were essentially a more poppy Procol with better hooks and more accessible. I can't think of two bands who melded Classical elements into rock as well as they did, making a very palatable sound.

Roger Taylor played on Procols later release - The Well's On Fire on the track Shadowboxed.

Brian May-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccd6pKlOueI

Gary Brooker, what a voice, one of the best.

this classic album from 1975 features Keith Relf from the Yardbirds on vocals. He unfortunately was electrocuted shortly after its release

R-2971463-1495383912-1206.jpeg.jpg

Armageddon was the last band to feature The Yardbirds' (the band that launched Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page) vocalist Keith Relf. He had founded Renaissance after the dissolution of The Yardbirds in 1968, and left Renaissance after two albums (actually half way through the second album) - to produce bands like Medicine Head (for whom he also played bass), Hunter Muskett and Saturnalia.[2]

Pugh and Cennamo had broken up Steamhammer in 1973 - they then decided, with Relf (who had assisted them in the production of the final Steamhammer LP), to leave England for L.A. They tried out a few drummers in California, and decided upon drummer Bobby Caldwell to complete the Armageddon lineup.[3]

According to the booklet in the Repertoire Records CD reissue of the album in 2001, Frampton and Dee Anthony recommended Armageddon to A&M Records, and it is likely that because he was their top selling artist at the time, they agreed to sign the band.[4]

Although the group's self-titled album was well received by critics and fans, the band did not tour to support it - consequently, sales suffered,[5] and Relf returned to England due to poor health shortly after the album was released. He died shortly after returning to England, when he was electrocuted while playing guitar,[6] although he did record one more song "All the Falling Angels" that is included on an album by Illusion called Enchanted Caress. (Illusion was the name the original members of Renaissance chose when they reunited, as the Annie Haslam incarnation of that band was still active at that time). After Armageddon folded, bassist Cennamo reunited with his Renaissance bandmates (the aforementioned Illusion), and later worked with Jim McCarty in the bands Stairway and Renaissance Illusion. Drummer Caldwell returned to Captain Beyond for an album and tour[7] - and although guitarist Pugh appears to have retired from music after 1975, he did emerge to play guitar on sessions alongside legendary American rock guitarist Geoff Thorpe[8] of Vicious Rumors in American rock & roll band, 7th Order[9] on their debut CD, The Lake of Memory - released on the Big Island Sounds label in 2007.[10]

I have the Armageddon cd out of Japan, took me a while to track it down. What a great album.

Me too.

• Like 1

Roger Taylor's Fun in Space. His first solo album. I think me and his mother were the only people that noticed, from what I can tell. Have always really loved the album though. My favorite voice in rock.

I am spinning this as I write this. It's a fantastic album. If Mr. Taylor committed himself to a solo only career I believe he would have reached Bowie like success and status. Bowie's influence is all over the album (or is it the other way around?). Fun in Space is a wonderful, eclectic and fabulously enjoyable album.

Roger Taylor's first solo album is a gem.

Speaking of Taylors, I'm going with "The Power Station."

• Like 2

Just listened to that and Living in Fear (the 1996 follow up) a week or so ago. Phenomenal. As is Palmer’s Riptide released In 1985 as well..

• Like 1

Just listened to that and Living in Fear (the 1996 follow up) a week or so ago. Phenomenal. As is Palmer’s Riptide released In 1985 as well..

Excellent Rick! Love that follow up disc too! Love "Riptide" as well!

Give me Living Colour's "Vivid" all night long.

Starz - Violation.

One of THE great 70s rock albums. Sank without trace.

Jonny you kill me.

You come out of nowhere and drop the fuckking love of real rock and roll.

I LOVE STARZ!!!!!!!!

Not to be confused with HEAR N AID which is actually a real CLASSIC!

RIP RONNIE JAMES DIO!

WE'RE STARZ!!!!!!

• Like 1

Brian May-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccd6pKlOueI

Gary Brooker, what a voice, one of the best.

Had front row for Tull in San Diego in 1993 and Procol Harum opened. Booker sounded fantastic

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2