28 replies to this topic

#21 Syrinx

Syrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2173 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

The old Beatles vs Stones argument.  The Beatles are historic in their importance in music - not just rock.  They will be remembered a century from now, like the great composers of the past.  But for me personally, I will take the Stones any time over the Beatles.  Their music has always meant more to me and appealed to me more than the Beatles.  That being said I was a little too young to get caught up in Beatlemania and when they broke up I was just really getting into music, so I understand the devotion to the Beatles that so many have.

Sponsored Post

#22 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6286 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

Thought about buying Beggars Banquet at the record store today, but unfortunately only copy they had is the overpriced 50th anniversary edition with a bonus 12 inch of Sympathy For The Devil b/w Mick saying hello on Japanese radio or something. I mean, that's cool, but it's not 47 bucks cool. I'll be keeping an eye out for anything under 20 though. Great album.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo, 18 December 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#23 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3615 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostSyrinx, on 11 December 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

The old Beatles vs Stones argument.  The Beatles are historic in their importance in music - not just rock.  They will be remembered a century from now, like the great composers of the past.  But for me personally, I will take the Stones any time over the Beatles.  Their music has always meant more to me and appealed to me more than the Beatles.  That being said I was a little too young to get caught up in Beatlemania and when they broke up I was just really getting into music, so I understand the devotion to the Beatles that so many have.
Pretty well says it for me. There's only a couple of Beatles albums I'll listen to anymore, one of them incidentally a 1968 release. I was in high school during the early '80's during the Beatles revival and bought a stack of their records. I soon tired of most of them. The Stones just have more staying power with me.

#24 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19524 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:39 AM

Why is a thread entitled Happy 50th Beggars Banquet a Beatles vs. Stones topic?

#25 Syrinx

Syrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2173 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

hmm let me think.  Someone brought up the string of Beatles lps and said that output was better.  I and others disagree.  And so I brought up one of the oldest "rivalries" in music.  Hey sometimes these threads take a left turn.

#26 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19524 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

View PostSyrinx, on 19 December 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

hmm let me think.  Someone brought up the string of Beatles lps and said that output was better.  I and others disagree.  And so I brought up one of the oldest "rivalries" in music.  Hey sometimes these threads take a left turn.
For some I guess the comparison is inevitable

#27 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 65718 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

View Postozzy85, on 19 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Pretty well says it for me. There's only a couple of Beatles albums I'll listen to anymore,
The blue compilation is really good enough for me.  The rest I can take as singles.

#28 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3615 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

View PostReRushed, on 19 December 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostSyrinx, on 19 December 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

For some I guess the comparison is inevitable
It would be like a Chevy thread. Someone will say Ford.

#29 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3615 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

View Postgoose, on 10 January 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

View Postozzy85, on 19 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Pretty well says it for me. There's only a couple of Beatles albums I'll listen to anymore,
The blue compilation is really good enough for me.  The rest I can take as singles.
That's pretty good. Covers most of the territory I'd want. Strawberry Fields is just about the only thing released in '67 I find listenable. White album onward is decent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users