In Defense of Greta van Fleet

winter17

Most of the hate that goes towards Greta van Fleet is that their sound is too Led Zeppelin-esque, and some even accuse them of being poor attempts at a copy of Led Zeppelin. Honestly, I don't quite understand it. If the lead singer, Josh, didn't sound so much like Plant, and it isn't really his fault, then they would not sound like Led Zeppelin any more than a lot of other 70s bands did. I don't hear Page in their guitar, Jones in their bass, or Bonham in their drums. "Well that's because they aren't nearly as talented as Led Zeppelin!" Well no kidding! If we determined if a band was good or not based on whether they were as good or better than Led Zeppelin, then we wouldn't have very many good bands at all. I think Greta van Fleet has a sound not heard since the 70s, but with new flares that continue to develop the music of old while they find their own style. They've only produced one album (and a couple EPs), so I expect them to really come into their own if they continue on the trend I believe there are on now.

Just my two cents...

You think they have a sound we haven't heard since the 70s? You obviously haven't heard any of the bands that have come around over the last decade or so like Wolfmother, Rival Sons and a bunch more with the old school rock sound then.
  • Like 1

Cum on guys, everyone rips off everyone. It's rock and roll.

I like this band but don't need hear them.

You guys should really rip and hate Kingdom Come then. I love that band. Stone Fury was before that band. Lenny White. A plagiarist? Or a great rock and roller?

"Get It On" Bitches!

Saw Kingdom Come open for MONSTERS OF ROCK at Candlestick.

I think it was

SCORPIONS

VAN HAGAR

METALLICA

DOKKEN

KINGDOM COME

Rip Elvis Presley for ripping off Muddy or Robert Johnson.

Sell you soul to the Devil.

Doesn't matter about race, religion, politics or any other bullshit.

We are all on the same beautiful planet.

It's humanity that is so fukkked up.

SO ROCK OUT WITH YOUR COCK OUT!!!!

Cum on guys, everyone rips off everyone. It's rock and roll.

I like this band but don't need hear them.

You guys should really rip and hate Kingdom Come then. I love that band. Stone Fury was before that band. Lenny White. A plagiarist? Or a great rock and roller?

"Get It On" Bitches!

Saw Kingdom Come open for MONSTERS OF ROCK at Candlestick.

I think it was

SCORPIONS

VAN HAGAR

METALLICA

DOKKEN

KINGDOM COME

I remember that Kingdom Come song. My brother and I both thought it was a Robert Plant song at first. His solo career was hot at the time with Tall Cool One getting played everywhere. So we just thought it was another song from that album when we heard it on the radio. We were dumb kids then. The kids have grown up but the some of the dumb might still be there lol.

Its like they have Bruno mars take a hit of acid and forced him to watch the song remains the same...

Not my cup of tea but who gives a shit.

This is likely to be unpopular but the biggest zep ripoffs was heart. And i do like early heart fwiw

Edited by tangy

They’re a breath of fresh air compared to EDM friendly “rock” bands like Maroon 5 and boring indie twee junk like Bon Iver. I’d be alright with GVF doing to them what Nirvana and Pearl Jam did to hair metal and what Strokes and White Stripes did to douchebag bro metal like Bizkit. Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

i enjoyed the record but i don't play it anymore. if i want zep.......i'll just play zep. Nothings says they won't evolve. but the debut is just an inferior copycat.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

i enjoyed the record but i don't play it anymore. if i want zep.......i'll just play zep. Nothings says they won't evolve. but the debut is just an inferior copycat.

Mick

Exactly, if I want to hear something that sounds like Zeppelin then I'll listen to them. The same with Sabbath, Floyd or any other band from back then. I'll listen to the real thing thank you very much.

What I don't understand is this fascination some rock fans have about wanting modern bands to sound like something from decades ago. How about a modern band sounds modern like they belong in today's music scene instead of trying to sound like they want to be part of a time gone by.

• Like 1

My dislike isn’t because they sound too Zeppelinesque, it’s because their vocalist sounds annoying as f**k. ;)

I don't think the singer is trying to sound like Plant but he does, and along with the band's sound, ugh. NEXT

• Like 3

My dislike isn’t because they sound too Zeppelinesque, it’s because their vocalist sounds annoying as f**k. ;)

I don't think the singer is trying to sound like Plant but he does, and along with the band's sound, ugh. NEXT

Yes please! Give me "NEXT" all day.

Love,

JOURNEY

• Like 1

Yes please! Give me "NEXT" all day.

Love,

JOURNEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E8bHdJ9_4k

Inspiration or emulation can't be stopped. Rush would have finished after their debut if true, its full of Zeppelin flavour. Mmm!

I think Greta were inspire by early Riotgod. The Riotgod's vocals sound like Plant, but aren't as irritating

A little late coming to the party, I just found out about this band last week. UNREAL band! So young and talented. I also happen to like the fact they aren't covered in ink and piercings just to try to look cool. Clean cut kids, who just like to play honest rock. And, who cares if they sound a bit like Zepp or any other band. Rush did at first... They sold out two nights in Toronto (their first time there and with only two EPs, no full album at that time out yet) with 7500 per show. Mark my words, they will be one of the world's biggest bands in three years if not sooner. They're up for FOUR Grammys... holy shit!
  • Like 2

They don't do a whole lot for me (if I want to hear that kind of music I'll just put on a Zeppelin record) but it's a good thing that a band making this kind of music is getting legitimate mainstream attention. There's going to be a generation of kids who get into Zeppelin and Rush and other 70s rock bands who got started on GVF, which wouldn't happen if they weren't getting played on mainstream top 40 radio. That's a positive IMO. I wish them success even though I don't listen to them.
  • Like 2

Inspiration or emulation can't be stopped. Rush would have finished after their debut if true, its full of Zeppelin flavour. Mmm!

I think Greta were inspire by early Riotgod. The Riotgod's vocals sound like Plant, but aren't as irritating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1totl5l3ofM&list=RDEMqx4ovyadH89LAS_8aevDUw

I liked Riotgod when they were Soundgarden.

If you don't think these kids are good, check this out. It's one song live... a jam of 26 minutes. The guitar player will freak you out.
Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

If you don't think these kids are good, check this out. It's one song live... a jam of 26 minutes. The guitar player will freak you out.

Yeah they can play it just seems so formulated thats its ridiculous.

Nothing wrong trying to imitate the coolest band ever ....

I don't think they are trying to imitate anyone. It's not the singer's fault if he sometimes sounds like Plante, or the guitar player like Page. They have drawn from many bands of the late 60s and very early 70s... and who the hell hasn't? These kids are SO young and look how good they are already. I hate to say it, but when the guys in Rush were 19 - 21... they weren't very good at all. I just watched a youtube of a Greta concert that was played just two weeks ago and in comparison to their early shows of one year ago, they have matured their stage craft and live sound beyond words. This is the real deal. I just hope they stay out of drugs, booze and stupidity because there will be a ton of pressure on them this year to be "cool rock stars."