Jump to content


In Defense of Greta van Fleet


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 winter17

winter17

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tuscaloosa
  • Interests:Watching the Crimson Tide, playing guitar, and the occasional dive into American politics.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:28 AM

Most of the hate that goes towards Greta van Fleet is that their sound is too Led Zeppelin-esque, and some even accuse them of being poor attempts at a copy of Led Zeppelin. Honestly, I don't quite understand it. If the lead singer, Josh, didn't sound so much like Plant, and it isn't really his fault, then they would not sound like Led Zeppelin any more than a lot of other 70s bands did. I don't hear Page in their guitar, Jones in their bass, or Bonham in their drums. "Well that's because they aren't nearly as talented as Led Zeppelin!" Well no kidding! If we determined if a band was good or not based on whether they were as good or better than Led Zeppelin, then we wouldn't have very many good bands at all. I think Greta van Fleet has a sound not heard since the 70s, but with new flares that continue to develop the music of old while they find their own style. They've only produced one album (and a couple EPs), so I expect them to really come into their own if they continue on the trend I believe there are on now.

Just my two cents...

Sponsored Post

#2 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:02 AM

You think they have a sound we haven't heard since the 70s? You obviously haven't heard any of the bands that have come around over the last decade or so like Wolfmother, Rival Sons and a bunch more with the old school rock sound then.

#3 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:43 AM

Cum on guys,  everyone rips off everyone.  It's rock and roll.

I like this band but don't need hear them.

You guys should really rip and hate Kingdom Come then.  I love that band.  Stone Fury was before that band.  Lenny White.  A plagiarist?  Or a great rock and roller?

"Get It On" Bitches!

Saw Kingdom Come open for MONSTERS OF ROCK at Candlestick.

I think it was

SCORPIONS
VAN HAGAR
METALLICA
DOKKEN
KINGDOM COME

#4 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:45 AM

Rip Elvis Presley for ripping off Muddy or Robert Johnson.

Sell you soul to the Devil.

Doesn't matter about race, religion, politics or any other bullshit.

We are all on the same beautiful planet.

It's humanity that is so fukkked up.

SO ROCK OUT WITH YOUR COCK OUT!!!!

#5 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 06 December 2018 - 02:43 AM, said:

Cum on guys,  everyone rips off everyone.  It's rock and roll.

I like this band but don't need hear them.

You guys should really rip and hate Kingdom Come then.  I love that band.  Stone Fury was before that band.  Lenny White.  A plagiarist?  Or a great rock and roller?

"Get It On" Bitches!

Saw Kingdom Come open for MONSTERS OF ROCK at Candlestick.

I think it was

SCORPIONS
VAN HAGAR
METALLICA
DOKKEN
KINGDOM COME

I remember that Kingdom Come song. My brother and I both thought it was a Robert Plant song at first. His solo career was hot at the time with Tall Cool One getting played everywhere. So we just thought it was another song from that album when we heard it on the radio. We were dumb kids then. The kids have grown up but the some of the dumb might still be there lol.

#6 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 9836 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:49 AM

Its like they have Bruno mars take a hit of acid and forced him to watch the song remains the same...

Not my cup of tea but who gives a shit.

This is likely to be unpopular but the biggest zep ripoffs was heart. And i do like early heart fwiw

Edited by tangy, 06 December 2018 - 09:50 AM.


#7 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 19889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

They’re a breath of fresh air compared to EDM friendly “rock” bands like Maroon 5 and boring indie twee junk like Bon Iver. I’d be alright with GVF doing to them what Nirvana and Pearl Jam did to hair metal and what Strokes and White Stripes did to douchebag bro metal like Bizkit.

Edited by invisible airwave, 06 December 2018 - 10:40 AM.


#8 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17911 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:39 AM

i enjoyed the record but i don't play it anymore.  if i want zep.......i'll just play zep.  Nothings says they won't evolve.  but the debut is just an inferior copycat.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 06 December 2018 - 11:39 AM.


#9 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 28622 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

Bah, Greta Van Susteren...I liked it better when it was called Whitesnake.

#10 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32219 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

My dislike isn’t because they sound too Zeppelinesque, it’s because their vocalist sounds annoying as f**k. ;)

#11 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:36 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 06 December 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

i enjoyed the record but i don't play it anymore.  if i want zep.......i'll just play zep.  Nothings says they won't evolve.  but the debut is just an inferior copycat.

Mick

Exactly, if I want to hear something that sounds like Zeppelin then I'll listen to them. The same with Sabbath, Floyd or any other band from back then. I'll listen to the real thing thank you very much.

What I don't understand is this fascination some rock fans have about wanting modern bands to sound like something from decades ago. How about a modern band sounds modern like they belong in today's music scene instead of trying to sound like they want to be part of a time gone by.

#12 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 7227 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec 28
    The Musical Box - Mar 8
    Joe Russo's Almost Dead - Mar 15
    The Stones - 6/8,6/14,6/17
    Dead & Co - 6/23

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 December 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

My dislike isn’t because they sound too Zeppelinesque, it’s because their vocalist sounds annoying as f**k. ;)

I don't think the singer is trying to sound like Plant but he does, and along with the band's sound, ugh.  NEXT

#13 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

View Postcustom55, on 06 December 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 December 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

My dislike isn’t because they sound too Zeppelinesque, it’s because their vocalist sounds annoying as f**k. ;)

I don't think the singer is trying to sound like Plant but he does, and along with the band's sound, ugh.  NEXT

Yes please!  Give me "NEXT" all day.

Love,

JOURNEY

#14 greyfriar

greyfriar

    River Rhine BurgerMeister

  • Members
  • 8496 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rheinsheim
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:32 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 06 December 2018 - 11:19 PM, said:

View Postcustom55, on 06 December 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 December 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

My dislike isn’t because they sound too Zeppelinesque, it’s because their vocalist sounds annoying as f**k. ;)

I don't think the singer is trying to sound like Plant but he does, and along with the band's sound, ugh.  NEXT

Yes please!  Give me "NEXT" all day.

Love,

JOURNEY


#15 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1894 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm always here.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:50 AM

Inspiration or emulation can't be stopped. Rush would have finished after their debut if true, its full of Zeppelin flavour. Mmm!

I think Greta were inspire by early Riotgod. The Riotgod's vocals sound like Plant, but aren't as irritating






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users