Jump to content


Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Power Windows (1985)

Segue Myles

  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 tks95747

tks95747

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roseville, CALIFORNIA
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

.
I like this post....succinct and right to the point ;)

Sponsored Post

#22 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37094 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Also Big Money is a big stink. One of their worst singles.
Dang...Big Money is my number one or number two off that album (b/t that and Manhattan Project)...

That's ok, I love Tai Shan!

#23 tks95747

tks95747

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roseville, CALIFORNIA
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Also Big Money is a big stink. One of their worst singles.
Dang...Big Money is my number one or number two off that album (b/t that and Manhattan Project)...

That's ok, I love Tai Shan!
Touche' - - - :laughing guy: Lmao

#24 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37094 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:03 PM

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Also Big Money is a big stink. One of their worst singles.
Dang...Big Money is my number one or number two off that album (b/t that and Manhattan Project)...

That's ok, I love Tai Shan!
Touche' - - - :laughing guy: Lmao

You too?

#25 tks95747

tks95747

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roseville, CALIFORNIA
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Also Big Money is a big stink. One of their worst singles.
Dang...Big Money is my number one or number two off that album (b/t that and Manhattan Project)...

That's ok, I love Tai Shan!
Touche' - - - :laughing guy: Lmao

You too?
I have to admit that while I am not a huge fan of Tai Shan, I would take it over a bunch of songs they released post-CP...

#26 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2408 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

4. Marathon

One of my all time favourite Rush songs.

I love everything about it, it has the great melodies, great lyrics. The synths again dominate but the entire band play beautifully, leaving it sounding more like a dance of various players than a fight to have any one single instrument dominate. Alex has superb moments here.

Everything complements. Power Windows is an actual delight to listen too, I forgot how much this record pleased me!

Sandwiched between my beloved Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire, it seems I made a mistake putting this masterpiece to one side.

Beautiful.

The song builds and builds to a really enriching and transcendent finish. Just PERFECT, lush production values and faultless songwriting.

I am loving this.

Also the chorus:


From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light
That gets in your eyes
One moment's high
And glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades
In the summer sky

Beautiful!

10/10
The chorus is fantastic!!  One of my favorite set of lyrics in music.

#27 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2408 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

View PostNarps, on 05 December 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

This one is where it all ended. The first release I didn't run out and buy immediately or ever...
Too bad for you! :)  It's a great album.

#28 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2408 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Big Money 9.25
Grand Designs 10
Manhattan Project 9.25
Marathon 10
Territories 9.25
Middletown Dreams 10
Emotion Detector 9
Mystic Rhythms 9.75

76.5 total
9.5625 average

It's about my 6-7th favorite Rush album and that is mostly based on the big 3 for me of Grand Designs, Marathon and Middletown Dreams.

Edited by Mithrandir, 05 December 2018 - 12:12 PM.


#29 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 2050 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

4. Marathon

One of my all time favourite Rush songs.

I love everything about it, it has the great melodies, great lyrics. The synths again dominate but the entire band play beautifully, leaving it sounding more like a dance of various players than a fight to have any one single instrument dominate. Alex has superb moments here.

Everything complements. Power Windows is an actual delight to listen too, I forgot how much this record pleased me!

Sandwiched between my beloved Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire, it seems I made a mistake putting this masterpiece to one side.

Beautiful.

The song builds and builds to a really enriching and transcendent finish. Just PERFECT, lush production values and faultless songwriting.

I am loving this.

Also the chorus:


From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light
That gets in your eyes
One moment's high
And glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades
In the summer sky

Beautiful!

10/10

Great song!

#30 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 2050 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:09 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

So we come to the end of Power Windows. Am album that I think is by and large one of the more divisive Rush releases, I find for me the most frustrating thing about it is it has too many filler moments. The best songs could have made for a classic EP. And for all the praise I have given for the synth sounds, when reviewing songs individually it is easy to praise the positives. A sad weakness of Power Windows is that, when reviewed as a whole, it cannot be overlooked how much all the album blurs together.

I would say I enjoyed this album more than Signals, but I am not sure it deserves a rating much higher than the one I gave that.

6/10

Favourite song: Marathon
Least Favourite: The Big Money

Agree on fave song; disagree on least fave. For me that (dis)honor belongs to Emotion Detector.

#31 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27935 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 05 December 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 05 December 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

This one is where it all ended. The first release I didn't run out and buy immediately or ever...
Too bad for you! :)  It's a great album.
Great is a relative term. When you were born in 60' and ATWAS is your first album(as a pimpled faced 16 year old) it's far from great. Grace Under Pressure was very good but this one not so much. I like about half of it...

#32 grasbo

grasbo

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:australia
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

I can see why some fans were jumping ship after Signals and by the time of Power Windows they were truly gone.Why?Because everything had changed completely.Alex's tone (single coil pickup guitars and no Marshalls)and style had changed as had Geds,synths,electric drums,haircuts,trendy clothes and above all tightly arranged almost pop songs.By Tor and the Snowdog it wasn't.But i loved Power Windows and wore the vinyl out as i did with Grace because this was a band that wasn't standing still and making Son of Moving Pictures.I love every song on PW but Marathon is the pick.I can quite easily play Xanadu,La Villa,Natural Science,Red Barchetta,Countdown,Afterimage,Middletown Dreams all in row and not get fidgety and give up like my heavy/prog mates do.

#33 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7419 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

I love this album. I find it very cohesive, where the previous two albums are more lopsided for me. I definitely agree that Marathon is the best song though.

#34 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 78748 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

It's hard to take seriously any lyric that argues that the peak is never passed by a band whose peak had long passed, and is at full avalanche speed down the side of Everest.

#35 tks95747

tks95747

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roseville, CALIFORNIA
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:08 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 December 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

It's hard to take seriously any lyric that argues that the peak is never passed by a band whose peak had long passed, and is at full avalanche speed down the side of Everest.
They didn't reach avalanche speed for me until they released Test 4 Music...

#36 greyfriar

greyfriar

    River Rhine BurgerMeister

  • Members
  • 9150 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rheinsheim
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

These threads are pure gold, Mr. Myles! Hats off!
Love reading through all your observations, even if I don't agree with all of them.
Keep 'em coming, cause I can't wait for the lovefest that HYF will bring. :cheers:

#37 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27935 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:02 PM

View Posttks95747, on 05 December 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 December 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

.
I like this post....succinct and right to the point ;)
:lol: I enjoyed it...

#38 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27935 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 05 December 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

I can see why some fans were jumping ship after Signals and by the time of Power Windows they were truly gone.Why?Because everything had changed completely.Alex's tone (single coil pickup guitars and no Marshalls)and style had changed as had Geds,synths,electric drums,haircuts,trendy clothes and above all tightly arranged almost pop songs.By Tor and the Snowdog it wasn't.But i loved Power Windows and wore the vinyl out as i did with Grace because this was a band that wasn't standing still and making Son of Moving Pictures.I love every song on PW but Marathon is the pick.I can quite easily play Xanadu,La Villa,Natural Science,Red Barchetta,Countdown,Afterimage,Middletown Dreams all in row and not get fidgety and give up like my heavy/prog mates do.
The single guitar coil pick ups really was the last straw for me... :)


#39 pxr5

pxr5

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Location:Blackpool, England

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:31 AM

This was the album that switched me off to Rush. I persevered and was bought HYF as a gift, but didn't get passed Force Ten. When I did come back to Rush a few years ago, I had some catching up to do. But I still dislike this album and HYF as the major low points IMO. Big Money is a horrible opener, though I do like some of the other tracks now - notably Middletown Dreams.

#40 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12229 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:09 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 December 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

It's hard to take seriously any lyric that argues that the peak is never passed by a band whose peak had long passed, and is at full avalanche speed down the side of Everest.

So you don't like anything from Power Windows onward?





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segue Myles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users