If Caress Of Steel wasn't nerdy enough for you...

MalformedEarthborn

This is a bit off topic, but live with it... I just DON'T UNDERSTAND how or why the intellectual property of artists (musicians in this case) is being copied, played publicly, altered (in this case above, which is really stupid) without any repercussions of any kind. The Internet has basically killed album sales... even U2 or the Stones don't sell many these days... Why would someone actually pay money for something they can have for free by going to Youtube or something similar? And, why do BUSINESSES, which are for-profit corporations, allowing this to continue? If I were an artist, it would infuriate me to see my album on the Internet for free... when I spent time and money making it. This is like walking into a restaurant, eating a meal and walking out... without paying.

This is a bit off topic, but live with it... I just DON'T UNDERSTAND how or why the intellectual property of artists (musicians in this case) is being copied, played publicly, altered (in this case above, which is really stupid) without any repercussions of any kind. The Internet has basically killed album sales... even U2 or the Stones don't sell many these days... Why would someone actually pay money for something they can have for free by going to Youtube or something similar? And, why do BUSINESSES, which are for-profit corporations, allowing this to continue? If I were an artist, it would infuriate me to see my album on the Internet for free... when I spent time and money making it. This is like walking into a restaurant, eating a meal and walking out... without paying.

The economics and statistics of the decline of album sales and rise of online downloading is discussed very interestingly in the book How Music Works by David Byrne (from Talking Heads). It was a very eye opening book in every way. I remember him saying that if a Talking Heads song sells for $1.95 on iTunes, as 1/4th of the band, he sees like 10 cents

The technology just got too far out ahead of the industry too quickly. They shut down Napster and while they were high fiving Lars Megaupload blew them up.

• Like 1

I'll have to pick up that book by David Byrne. And, I'll actually buy it... But, I remember not being allowed to have cameras in the concert venue, or any video or audio recording device period. These days, after day one of a tour by any band, the world already sees the show. Not in great format mind you, but still... I would hate to be a stand up comic. After your first show at the theater, everyone who was thinking of going to see you has already seen and heard your jokes. Hard to funny twice with the same jokes.

I recall some years ago, Ted Nugent saying in the media, "Hey, Napster, get your greasy paws OFF my intellectual property!" Not sure why this way of thinking seems to no longer exist. Seems that nobody gives a shit anymore. ??????????????????????????????????????????? I have bought of course, but even still, I can listen to every single Rush album (and download) for FREE on Youtube. Hey, Mr. Daniels???????????????????????? You're losing money and so are the boys.