alpineholydog

Freeze is a song that I love but has made me wonder why the band made the choice to go with Geddy singing the "Do do do do do" part of what I would call the pre-chorus or bridge to the chorus. It seems they could have combined the 2 versions to have less of the melodic "do do do' part. also maybe take out some of the "like"s

It would read:

Coiled for the spring

Or caught like a creature in the headlights

(Thrown) Into a desperate panic or a tempest of blind fury

Blood running cold

Mind going down into a dark night

(Am I the) cornered beast or a conquering hero?

Give it a try in your mind. Here's the whole thing...

The city crouches, steaming

In the early morning half-light

The sun is still a rumor

And the night is still a threat

Slipping through the dark streets

And the echoes and the shadows

Something stirs behind me

And my palms begin to sweat

Sometimes I freeze, until the light comes

Sometimes I fly, into the night

Sometimes I fight, against the darkness

Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes I'm right

Coiled for the spring

Thrown Into a desperate panic

Or a tempest of blind fury

Blood running cold

Am I a cornered beast

Or a conquering hero?

The menace threatens, closing

And I'm frozen in the shadows

I'm not prepared to run away

And I'm not prepared to fight

I can't stand to reason

Or surrender to a reflex

I will trust my instincts

Or surrender to my fright

Sometimes we freeze, until the light comes

Sometimes we're wrong, and sometimes we're right

Sometimes we fight, against the darkness

Sometimes we fly, into the night

Coiled for the spring

Thrown Into a desperate panic

Or a tempest of blind fury

Blood running cold

Am I a cornered beast

Or a conquering hero?

Sometimes I freeze

Sometimes I fight

Sometimes I fly

Into the night

i clearly have too much time on my hands.

Edited by alpineholydog
  • Like 4

Well, I suppose you could have spent your time wasted on some other worthless endeavor... At least yours has merit... Anyway, I just listened to the song and I think your revision makes perfect sense.

There are some who might think it sacrilegious to second guess the band on how they crafted any particular song. I am not one of them. I have also given thought to how the band might have improved on, not so much the lyrics, but particular parts of the musical structure of some of their songs.

For example, at 3:00 minutes into "Different Strings", Alex starts a solo that lasts about 00:42 seconds... It just starts picking up steam right at the very end and I always wished that they would have cut Alex loose to burn through another one of his eclectic solos for another 00:20 or 00:30 seconds. I can only imagine what he might have come up with... Just my .02... :rush:

Edited by tks95747
  • Like 2

The do do do's are f***ing retarded, but unfortunately only one reason why I hate this POS, so whilst it would be a step in the right direction, that turd would require a great deal more polishing to get it listenable....
  • Like 1

Would have been better as a five second song with the single line "sometimes I cease" followed by a hard stop and that being the end of the CD.
  • Like 2

Would have been better as a five second song with the single line "sometimes I cease" followed by a hard stop and that being the end of the CD.

:LOL:

And that would be exactly five seconds more than Madrigal deserves.

Haters gonna hate! :cheers:

• Like 1

The do do do's are f***ing retarded, but unfortunately only one reason why I hate this POS, so whilst it would be a step in the right direction, that turd would require a great deal more polishing to get it listenable....

I'm not certain that I fully understand your position on this song... Perhaps you could be a bit more pointed~ ;)

:LOL:

And that would be exactly five seconds more than Madrigal deserves.

Haters gonna hate! :cheers:

Good one :laughing guy:

Can't listen to the original, musical equivalent of scratching nails on a blackboard

Remix version one of few good things about that particular album though

I like the do do do's by the way

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

That's one of the three or four songs that should've been left off the final album...Nocturne , Out Of The Cradle too. Not only are they not very good but lyrically don't really fit in with the rest of the album. VT should've ended with Secret Touch or maybe Sweet Miracle
  • Like 1

That's one of the three or four songs that should've been left off the final album...Nocturne , Out Of The Cradle too. Not only are they not very good but lyrically don't really fit in with the rest of the album. VT should've ended with Secret Touch or maybe Sweet Miracle

Nocturne, despite the lame opening lines, is musically outstanding. It's one of the three or four best songs on a very good album.

• Like 3

Nocturne, despite the lame opening lines, is musically outstanding. It's one of the three or four best songs on a very good album.

It's a heavy metal smorgasbord!

:haz:

• Like 2

I don’t dislike anything on Vapor Trails but this is all I need:

1. OLV

2. Ceiling Unlimited

3. Ghost Rider

4. Peaceable Kingdom

5. Vapor Trail

6. Secret Touch

7. Earthshine

• Like 2

1. OLV

2. Ceiling Unlimited

3. Ghost Rider

4. Peaceable Kingdom

5. Vapor Trail

6. Secret Touch

7. Earthshine

All that is really needed from VT would be the first letters from 4. 1. and 6. in that order~ Edited by tks95747

1. OLV

2. Ceiling Unlimited

3. Ghost Rider

4. Peaceable Kingdom

5. Vapor Trail

6. Secret Touch

7. Earthshine

All that is really needed from VT would be the first letters from 4. 1. and 6. in that order~

13 minutes...longer than I expected. ;)

• Like 1

1. OLV

2. Ceiling Unlimited

3. Ghost Rider

4. Peaceable Kingdom

5. Vapor Trail

6. Secret Touch

7. Earthshine

All that is really needed from VT would be the first letters from 4. 1. and 6. in that order~

13 minutes...longer than I expected. ;)

Touche' sir
  • Like 1

I agree! To me "Nocturne" is one of the highlights of the album! The two songs I have doubts about on "Vapor Trails" are "Out of the Cradle" and "The Stars Look Down". The rest of the album is great in all its rawness imo!

On, and from "Vapor Trails", I've liked "Nocturne" as it's one of my favorites. To me, the songs "Out of the Cradle", and "Freeze (Part IV of Fear)" are standouts on it, too, as they aren't bad. Overall, I think, and find that "Vapor Trails (Remixed)" is a lot more listenable, and better, then it was before getting remixed.
  • Like 1

Stars Look Down and Sweet Miracle are my least favorite tunes. I have removed them form my album on phone. The album is pretty strong without them. I like how How It is gives a little breath to the album after Peaceable Kingdom. Secret Touch through Out of the Cradle is one hell of a string of songs (without Sweet Miracle blech!)

I think the band was very experimental on this album due to what was happening with Neil. Clearly they were a tad lost when it came to how to bring all the ideas forward in the final production. I would love to have this album broken down on a soundboard to hear the different components isolated out. Lifeson must have 20 tracks of guitar on some songs.

I think Peart's Lyrics are great here as sometimes great art is unfortunately generated by great pain.

I am very happy that the band re-released this with the remix. Oddly there are components that sound better on one version over the other. Overall I prefer the remix. I was one of those guys who downloaded about 4 versions of remixes online.

Does anyone recall a band that re released an album in this way. Not just remastered but literally remixed on such a big scale?

Edited by alpineholydog

Stars Look Down and Sweet Miracle are my least favorite tunes. I have removed them form my album on phone. The album is pretty strong without them. I like how How It is gives a little breath to the album after Peaceable Kingdom. Secret Touch through Out of the Cradle is one hell of a string of songs (without Sweet Miracle blech!)

I think the band was very experimental on this album due to what was happening with Neil. Clearly they were a tad lost when it came to how to bring all the ideas forward in the final production. I would love to have this album broken down on a soundboard to hear the different components isolated out. Lifeson must have 20 tracks of guitar on some songs.

I think Peart's Lyrics are great here as sometimes great art is unfortunately generated by great pain.

I am very happy that the band re-released this with the remix. Oddly there are components that sound better on one version over the other. Overall I prefer the remix. I was one of those guys who downloaded about 4 versions of remixes online.

Does anyone recall a band that re released an album in this way. Not just remastered but literally remixed on such a big scale?

The Beatles Let It Be Naked probably.

• Like 2