Neil Peart (Rush) VS John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) VS Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

YYZumbi

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which drummer is your favorite (and why)?

• Neil Peart (Rush)
    • John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    • Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

Phil Collins.

sorry their should have been other on this poll cause that's my answer.

Mick

My number three, behind legend Peart and personal favorite Roger Taylor.

As you may or may not know, Queen to me, is one of the greatest bands in the world, and I love them. But Roger Taylor is not the best drummer, he is in fact kinda boring as a drummer in my opinion (except for in the early 70s, then he was more fun as a drummer).

I’d argue a great drummer knows what’s best to play for what song, and SHA or ANATO alone are proof of Roger’s mastery of this concept.

I have seen Queen+ 3 times in my life, and seen Roger do 3 different drum solos, and no, I am not impressed with his drum skills. But he is still perfect for Queen! But in my opinion it is Brian and Freddie that is the strong part in Queen.

Oh well, I think he’s a master. And he has a very distinct backbeat that suits Queen’s pomp perfectly. The little clips of open high hat with the snare on 2 and 4 give me so much joy!

Don't get me wrong tho, I love the guy, and I would not want to trade him away for someone else in the band. It's just that I think, when I am listening to Queen, the drums is not something I go "wow" for, at least not on the albums made in the 80s and forward. But I do go "wow" for Brian's guitar and Freddie's voice.

Taylor is also really important for his backing vocals as well as drums, especially live. Watch a Queen concert and he does almost as much singing as Freddie. You won't find many drummers who can sing as well as him throughout a performance while playing drums at the same time. Plus he sang lead vocals and wrote a few great songs as well.

• Like 1

I voted for Bonzo because I like hard drummers. Neil used to drum like that before he became involved with the ballet slipper man whose name escapes me at the moment. That's when his drumming changed. I think Neil is an excellent drummer, but I like Bonzo's style much better.

Lorraine, the drummer, who I'm thinking of you do mean, and helped Neil, revamp his playing style by incorporating jazz, and swing components is "Freddie Gruber".

I'm not able to answer the question because there are quite a few great, and different ones.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I voted for Bonzo because I like hard drummers. Neil used to drum like that before he became involved with the ballet slipper man whose name escapes me at the moment. That's when his drumming changed. I think Neil is an excellent drummer, but I like Bonzo's style much better.

Lorraine, the drummer, who I'm thinking of you do mean, and helped Neil, revamp his playing style by incorporating jazz, and swing components is "Freddie Gruber".

I'm not able to answer the question because there are quite a few great, and different ones.

That's right, Derek. It's Freddie Gruber. Thank you. :)

• Like 1

That's right, Derek. It's Freddie Gruber. Thank you. :)

You're welcome, and anytime, Lorraine :)

• Like 1

Peart, then Ward, then Bonzo.

Do you think Bonzo is overrated Pat? John is a Legend and a drumming stud but he's not even near my top ten. Hell I would put a young and fiery Leonard Haze back in the Yesterday & Today Daze above Bonzo!

Both Leonard and John had that special "flutter" foot gift. Amazing shit. I was lucky to know Leonard for many years before he passed. There was a story out that back in the early 70's Leonard went skiing and broke his right leg. So even though he was in a cast he still was able to practice his drumming, hence the cast forced him to learn the "flutter" foot technique.

So many years ago when I first met him before one of his solo gigs I went up to him and said, "Hey Leonard, is it true you learned how to do that flutter foot bass drum deal because you broke your leg skiing?"

He shook my hand and said, "yes that is a true story!" Then he bolted to the stage.

Peart, then Ward, then Bonzo.

Do you think Bonzo is overrated Pat? John is a Legend and a drumming stud but he's not even near my top ten. Hell I would put a young and fiery Leonard Haze back in the Yesterday & Today Daze above Bonzo!

Both Leonard and John had that special "flutter" foot gift. Amazing shit. I was lucky to know Leonard for many years before he passed. There was a story out that back in the early 70's Leonard went skiing and broke his right leg. So even though he was in a cast he still was able to practice his drumming, hence the cast forced him to learn the "flutter" foot technique.

So many years ago when I first met him before one of his solo gigs I went up to him and said, "Hey Leonard, is it true you learned how to do that flutter foot bass drum deal because you broke your leg skiing?"

He shook my hand and said, "yes that is a true story!" Then he bolted to the stage.

I don't know if he's overrated. He's good, very, very solid and powerful but he's not really a technical wizard or anything.

Jeff Porcaro

I had to look him up. Therefore he can't be on the list.

You had to look up Jeff Porcaro?

Yes, I did. Turns out he's played on stuff I've heard before. But not really with anyone I'm a big fan of.

Sorry, I guess he's not the same level of fame as Bonham or Peart, but from my perspective he's a pretty normal mention in greatest drummer discussions.

Is he? I guess I don't take part in reading too many greatest drummer discussions then.

I mean, Rosanna is a pretty common mention for greatest grooves. I think he mainly gets mentions for that tbh. His drumming is consistently excellent, but that groove on that hit is the conversation starter.

I will have to give that song another listen. All I remember about Toto's hits are the fantastic melodic hooks.

Rosanna has it all. Brilliant key and guitar solos, great singing from multiple members, unshakable hooks, unstoppable groove.

Just gave the song a listen and the drumming is... good. But I really don't hear anything that stands out with the playing. Certainly not at the same level of the three drummers this thread is about.

Hm, interesting. To me that's one of the top grooves in the books. Up there with When The Levee Breaks, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Walk This Way, and the like.

Oh also, Joey Kramer, especially when paired with Tom Hamilton on bass, one of the most underrated drummers in rock and roll. Those two are unstoppable together.

The groove in Levee absolutely drives that song and really stands out. I just don't hear that in the drumming on Roseanna.

:huh:

That Purdie shuffle is iconic.

The groove in Levee absolutely drives that song and really stands out. I just don't hear that in the drumming on Roseanna.

:huh:

That Purdie shuffle is iconic.

:eyeroll: