Neil Peart (Rush) VS John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) VS Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

YYZumbi

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which drummer is your favorite (and why)?

• Neil Peart (Rush)
    • John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    • Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

Phil Collins.

sorry their should have been other on this poll cause that's my answer.

Mick

My number three, behind legend Peart and personal favorite Roger Taylor.

i love Roger. As far as Phil. he's the only drummer.......And i mean the ONLY drummer.......who's solos don't bore me to tears.. lol. i'm sorry that's just me.

Mick

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

I had to look him up. Therefore he can't be on the list.

You had to look up Jeff Porcaro?

Yes, I did. Turns out he's played on stuff I've heard before. But not really with anyone I'm a big fan of.

Sorry, I guess he's not the same level of fame as Bonham or Peart, but from my perspective he's a pretty normal mention in greatest drummer discussions.

Phil Collins.

Mick

i love Roger. As far as Phil. he's the only drummer.......And i mean the ONLY drummer.......who's solos don't bore me to tears.. lol. i'm sorry that's just me.

Mick

Drumming isn't really about solos anyway. :)

• Like 1

Phil Collins.

Mick

Mick

too true. i don't why it is i just love phil's Style as well. he's got some of the most distinct fills ever.

Mick

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

Yes, I did. Turns out he's played on stuff I've heard before. But not really with anyone I'm a big fan of.

Sorry, I guess he's not the same level of fame as Bonham or Peart, but from my perspective he's a pretty normal mention in greatest drummer discussions.

Is he? I guess I don't take part in reading too many greatest drummer discussions then.

Jeff Porcaro

Is he? I guess I don't take part in reading too many greatest drummer discussions then.

I mean, Rosanna is a pretty common mention for greatest grooves. I think he mainly gets mentions for that tbh. His drumming is consistently excellent, but that groove on that hit is the conversation starter.

Phil Collins.

Mick

Mick

too true. i don't why it is i just love phil's Style as well. he's got some of the most distinct fills ever.

Mick

I believe I saw somewhere Peart stole one of the fills in TSS from an unnamed Genesis record.

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro...... Toto!!!

doesn't even scrap my favs though, lol

Mick

Same. He's excellent, especially for that band, but he's too smooth for my taste. :haz:

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

I mean, Rosanna is a pretty common mention for greatest grooves. I think he mainly gets mentions for that tbh. His drumming is consistently excellent, but that groove on that hit is the conversation starter.

I will have to give that song another listen. All I remember about Toto's hits are the fantastic melodic hooks.

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

I will have to give that song another listen. All I remember about Toto's hits are the fantastic melodic hooks.

Rosanna has it all. Brilliant key and guitar solos, great singing from multiple members, unshakable hooks, unstoppable groove.

Mick

Same. He's excellent, especially for that band, but he's too smooth for my taste. :haz:

Jeff is really smooth and he's great.

but and Segue might shoot me. i feel he's doesn't have his own stand out sound. least not to my ears.

hence why he never enters my head,

he doesn't stand out as much some mentioned here.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Jeff is really smooth and he's great.

but and Segue might shoot me. i feel he's doesn't have his own stand out sound. least not to my ears.

hence why he never enters my head,

he doesn't stand out as much some mentioned here.

Mick

I feel like I could pick him out of a crowd, but (and maybe I just haven't listened to enough Toto), I don't hear him in my head aside from Rosanna. Taylor, Peart, Bonham, Collins, Ward, these guys are embedded in my brain.

• Like 1

Levon Helm for the Band is another Fav Singing drummer of mine.

to watch him is awesome. really gets down into a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnlU6rPfwY

Mick

Oh

I guess I have to listen to The Band now.

Well thank you kind bluefox.

• Like 1

Mick

Oh

First 2 records. Music From Big Pink and The Band.

Then if you enjoy seek out the live set the Last Waltz.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Oh

Mick

Got it!

Was it them who played on Blonde on Blonde with Dylan? That one I have listened to, and do love.

• Like 1

Mick

Oh

Mick

Got it!

Was it them who played on Blonde on Blonde with Dylan? That one I have listened to, and do love.

yup and planet Waves. they toured with him in like 66

Great great.......uh.....BAND, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

Rosanna has it all. Brilliant key and guitar solos, great singing from multiple members, unshakable hooks, unstoppable groove.

Just gave the song a listen and the drumming is... good. But I really don't hear anything that stands out with the playing. Certainly not at the same level of the three drummers this thread is about.

Jeff Porcaro

Just gave the song a listen and the drumming is... good. But I really don't hear anything that stands out with the playing. Certainly not at the same level of the three drummers this thread is about.

Hm, interesting. To me that's one of the top grooves in the books. Up there with When The Levee Breaks, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Walk This Way, and the like.

Oh also, Joey Kramer, especially when paired with Tom Hamilton on bass, one of the most underrated drummers in rock and roll. Those two are unstoppable together.

Jeff Porcaro

Hm, interesting. To me that's one of the top grooves in the books. Up there with When The Levee Breaks, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Walk This Way, and the like.

Oh also, Joey Kramer, especially when paired with Tom Hamilton on bass, one of the most underrated drummers in rock and roll. Those two are unstoppable together.

The groove in Levee absolutely drives that song and really stands out. I just don't hear that in the drumming on Roseanna. The vocal melodies carry that song all the way.

Jeff Porcaro

The groove in Levee absolutely drives that song and really stands out. I just don't hear that in the drumming on Roseanna. The vocal melodies carry that song all the way.

There are no melodies for the first few seconds and I've already fallen in love with the song by then. Says a lot about the groove to me.