Emotion Detector

PermanentMovingSignals

By coincidence I was thinking just this today. Perhaps the guitar solo?

The guitar solo section is the only part of the song I like. You don't think they could have replicated it live?

It's one of his better solos from that era.

Shame it's in such a shit song though.

Which is more annoying to you: a good solo in a bad song or a bad solo in a good song?

Definitely the former... that is just a waste whereas a bad solo will not ruin a good song.

Then I'm safe to work on your material!

Hang on!...that could be taken either way ;-)

:LOL:

The bigger issue is why was Cut To The Chase never played live? Seems like an obvious pick off CP for inclusion in at least that tours setlist. I think I read something about the solo being hard to duplicate live. Maybe I'm thinking of some other song.

YYZ is hard to duplicate live but Geddy and Neil nail that f***er every time.

Alex is such a diva sometimes :P

• Like 1

It's not that they didn't want to, it's that their lawyers warned them that the risk from 20,000 fans all running to the bathroom at the same time and someone getting trampled was too high. In the end, Neil's pocketbook concerns outweighed his misanthropy.

You are my new best friend...
  • Like 1

I like Emotion Detector tbh but give me some R.E.M. or somethin instead.

I remember when REM were actually good....about 30 years ago......

Around about when Emotion Detector came out then...

:(

I think REM formed in 1980... I remember when they were good .... Right around 1978...

Around about when Emotion Detector came out then...

:(

I think REM formed in 1980... I remember when they were good .... Right around 1978...

Hey come on

• Like 1

By coincidence I was thinking just this today. Perhaps the guitar solo?

The guitar solo section is the only part of the song I like. You don't think they could have replicated it live?

Not quite sure, to be honest

I honestly get that for many they lost their magic. For me, the run of albums up to and including Monster was amazing. After that, patchy but still terrific.

I think to slate REM to an established REM fan is a little cheap. She is young and I also personally would rather listen to REM than Emotion Detector.

• Like 3

I honestly get that for many they lost their magic. For me, the run of albums up to and including Monster was amazing. After that, patchy but still terrific.

I think to slate REM to an established REM fan is a little cheap. She is young and I also personally would rather listen to REM than Emotion Detector.

Stipe is a master lyricist.
  • Like 2

Stipe is a master lyricist.

The whole band are tbh, they all helped write the songs too.

WTF?

I'll give an opinion about any band I choose to whoever I choose, ok?

And I agree with you, I'd rather listen to REM than Emotion Detector as well, but that's nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

WTF?

And I agree with you, I'd rather listen to REM than Emotion Detector as well, but that's nothing to do with it.

Ok.

Let me explain why I posted that.

Was hoping someone being nice might help this avoid becoming another one of her ranty threads haha

• Like 2

WTF?

Ok.

Let me explain why I posted that.

Was hoping someone being nice might help this avoid becoming another one of her ranty threads haha

Ah.......

(Vicky Pollard) Bovvered? (Vicky Pollard)

• Like 2

Wasn't there some disagreement within the band when writing this song? If I remember correctly, Alex was very happy with a solo he came up with, but everyone else disagreed and said it didn't suit the song and forced him to re-record it. Maybe that general negative vibe just made them sour on the song.

Also, it's not like it was a particular fan favorite demanding to be played. Not that I'm saying it's bad. It's one that's grown on me over the years for sure, but it's not a big single or a culty favorite.

So played this song yesterday because of this thread. Barely recognised it. I have to say, I still cannot recall it. The people who criticise the synth era, I can't help but think songs like this make it easy for them to defend themselves.

Weak.

Mystic Rhythms, on the other hand, is sublime.

Power Windows is my next album to do a thread review about. I know the highs on that album. Still looking forward to it!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1