Learning from music

Fordgalaxy

I was putting up the Christmas lights today, listening to my mp3 player, and "Carve Away The Stone" started. When I heard the faint, "Sisyphus", I remembered the first time I'd heard that, and had to look it up to find out what it meant which got me to thinking all the other words I'd learned from music I listen to. Rush has had their share, but for me, the band that stands out as "teaching" me the most is Clutch. What band is in that spot for you?
  • Like 2

I was putting up the Christmas lights today, listening to my mp3 player, and "Carve Away The Stone" started. When I heard the faint, "Sisyphus", I remembered the first time I'd heard that, and had to look it up to find out what it meant which got me to thinking all the other words I'd learned from music I listen to. Rush has had their share, but for me, the band that stands out as "teaching" me the most is Clutch. What band is in that spot for you?

Great topic! Lot's of bands to be honest. Its a really interesting and valid aspect of music for me. As music is generally soundbites in it's succinct lyrical summary of much larger grandiose subjects.Certain bands can provide a great introduction for enquiring minds. Rush is a perfect example. Mr Peart's lyrics have really shown a lot of doors to other subjects, philosophies and perspectives. Other favorite bands have done this in differing ways.

Edit - everyone has something to offer...Lick My Love Pump?

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

I mean, I've certainly gathered a lot of trivia question answers from songs and bands over time, mostly to do with the stories behind the music, and sometimes to do with lyrical references to things I didn't know. However, I feel I've learned more meaningful things from discussing, studying, practicing, and performing music more than listening to it. If listening to it consistently teaches me anything it's more to do with how the music and lyrics impact the way I feel and perceive the world rather than who Ayn Rand was or something trivial like that. Music has influenced my worldview massively, but it hasn't made me much more booksmart than I'd already have been.

I realized today that I have learned things from Queen! Seriously, I don't think I had ever heard the word Beelzebub before Bohemian Rhapsody and I remember having to look it up. Although I had seen old Marx brothers movies, I didn't realize the significance of the album titles of Night at the Opera and Day at the Races for awhile. I guess that would be learning cultural appreciation ( or something! :LOL:)
  • Like 2

Interesting topic, Fordgalaxy. Here's what I got:

I found out about Sisyphus from Pink Floyd's Ummagumma (and also quickly learned that it's not spelled "Sysyphus").

I read some Rabelais because of Gentle Giant. Ditto RD Laing (no relation to kd).

Read Dylan Thomas' "Under Milk Wood" because of the Kinks Village Green Preservation Society. Both are kick-ass.

And because of Rush, I learned that Clockwork Angels was a shitty book. :yes:

I also picked up a book of short stories called "Diary of a Madman" because of the title. Never got into Ozzy, but sure got into Gogol!

http://www.communiteabooks.com/uploads/1/0/9/7/109749855/s282625664890792086_p2050_i1_w640.jpeg

• Like 3

I mean, I've certainly gathered a lot of trivia question answers from songs and bands over time, mostly to do with the stories behind the music, and sometimes to do with lyrical references to things I didn't know. However, I feel I've learned more meaningful things from discussing, studying, practicing, and performing music more than listening to it. If listening to it consistently teaches me anything it's more to do with how the music and lyrics impact the way I feel and perceive the world rather than who Ayn Rand was or something trivial like that. Music has influenced my worldview massively, but it hasn't made me much more booksmart than I'd already have been.

You haven't looked up Richard Dadd re: Queen II? :o

Here ya go!

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/image-dadd_-_fairy_fellers.jpg

The Fairy Feller's Masterstroke [detail]

• Like 1

Manic Street Preachers without a doubt....the early stuff especially.

This one song is a tour de force of political meaning:

Revol

Mr. Lenin - awaken the boy

Mr. Stalin - bisexual epoch

Kruschev - self love in his mirrors

Brezhnev - married into group sex

Gorbachev - celibate self importance

Yeltsin - failure is his own impotence

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Lebensraum - Kulturkampf - raus, raus - fila, fila

Napoleon - childhood sweethearts

Chamberlain - you see God in you

Trotsky - honeymoon, serenade the naked

Che Guevara - you're all target now

Pol Pot - withdrawn traces, bye bye

Farrakhan - alimony alimony

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

You haven't looked up Richard Dadd re: Queen II? :o

Here ya go!

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/image-dadd_-_fairy_fellers.jpg

The Fairy Feller's Masterstroke [detail]

Oh I’m quite well aware of the story about the painting behind the song. Haven’t looked at it in quite a while though, thx!

• Like 1

I learned that if a pig says oink and a sheep says baaah and a rooster says cockadoodledoo... the devil says

.....aaaaaaaaAaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIAIAIAJAIAHAJAIAJAHAIAHAHAIAH!!!!!!!!

I always find my horizons broadened by listening to David Coverdale’s late 80s output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnH4yNqL8E

His musings on the transcendent metaphysical nature regarding the deepest eternal question, regarding the nature of love, are unparalleled.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I always find my horizons broadened by listening to David Coverdale’s late 80s output.

His musings on the transcendent metaphysical nature regarding the deepest eternal question, regarding the nature of love, are unparalleled.

I was thinking more along the lines of his penchant for subtle double entendres, like Slide It In.

I was thinking more along the lines of his penchant for subtle double entendres, like Slide It In.

What's the second entendre?

He could also be talking about sex.

He could also be talking about sex.

Not sure where you're getting that from... :huh:

Edited by laughedatbytime

Manic Street Preachers without a doubt....the early stuff especially.

This one song is a tour de force of political meaning:

Revol

Mr. Lenin - awaken the boy

Mr. Stalin - bisexual epoch

Kruschev - self love in his mirrors

Brezhnev - married into group sex

Gorbachev - celibate self importance

Yeltsin - failure is his own impotence

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Napoleon - childhood sweethearts

Chamberlain - you see God in you

Trotsky - honeymoon, serenade the naked

Che Guevara - you're all target now

Pol Pot - withdrawn traces, bye bye

Farrakhan - alimony alimony

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

Revol - revol

I could talk about MSP all day, some bands make me Google words or names but MSP makes me go to the library haha

• Like 1