Jump to content


TVs: OLED vs LED


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30587 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

View PostThat One Guy, on 24 February 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

Still holding out for OLED myself. 4k LED doesn't seem like quite enough to justify dumping a perfectly functional 1080p television.
I watch a lot of HiDef videos of sexy young people driving Miatas topless. So I felt necessary to upgrade.

Sponsored Post

#22 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7128 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 24 February 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostThat One Guy, on 24 February 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

Still holding out for OLED myself. 4k LED doesn't seem like quite enough to justify dumping a perfectly functional 1080p television.
I watch a lot of HiDef videos of sexy young people driving Miatas topless. So I felt necessary to upgrade.

Nothing like driving around with the top down, feeling the wind in your hair.

#23 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30587 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

The picture is so different. I feel I need to immerse my self into understanding the various picture settings and when to adjust them. Last night I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica '78. The series was remastered for BluRay. The space scenes with models and FX look great. The scenes with people on set looked almost live, like video tape, soap opera like. Set pieces are seen in detail unknown to me before, "oh my that is made out of wood"?

#24 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 66371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:17 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

... scenes with people on set looked almost live
For some reason I find that kind of clarity unsettling when  I watch it.  

:huh:

#25 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7128 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:34 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

The picture is so different. I feel I need to immerse my self into understanding the various picture settings and when to adjust them. Last night I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica '78. The series was remastered for BluRay. The space scenes with models and FX look great. The scenes with people on set looked almost live, like video tape, soap opera like. Set pieces are seen in detail unknown to me before, "oh my that is made out of wood"?

I found I had to adjust each input individually. The first time I watched a DVD it was crazy bright and ultra colorful. I like the "cinema" type settings for low eye strain and longer pixel life.

#26 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 26097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:33 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

The picture is so different. I feel I need to immerse my self into understanding the various picture settings and when to adjust them. Last night I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica '78. The series was remastered for BluRay. The space scenes with models and FX look great. The scenes with people on set looked almost live, like video tape, soap opera like. Set pieces are seen in detail unknown to me before, "oh my that is made out of wood"?

You have to turn off the motion smoothing.  Type in "how to turn off soap opera effect for" and then whatever your TV model is and you'll have plenty of results.  You might want motion smoothing for sports or big action movies, but never for anything where humans are just standing/walking and talking.  I never use it, personally.

#27 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30587 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

View PostLedRush, on 04 March 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

The picture is so different. I feel I need to immerse my self into understanding the various picture settings and when to adjust them. Last night I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica '78. The series was remastered for BluRay. The space scenes with models and FX look great. The scenes with people on set looked almost live, like video tape, soap opera like. Set pieces are seen in detail unknown to me before, "oh my that is made out of wood"?

You have to turn off the motion smoothing.  Type in "how to turn off soap opera effect for" and then whatever your TV model is and you'll have plenty of results.  You might want motion smoothing for sports or big action movies, but never for anything where humans are just standing/walking and talking.  I never use it, personally.
There are often times in life where I need to hear something many times by different sources. Motion Smoothing is the latest. I need to dig into the settings to turn it off. Thanks.

#28 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 26097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 04 March 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 04 March 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

The picture is so different. I feel I need to immerse my self into understanding the various picture settings and when to adjust them. Last night I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica '78. The series was remastered for BluRay. The space scenes with models and FX look great. The scenes with people on set looked almost live, like video tape, soap opera like. Set pieces are seen in detail unknown to me before, "oh my that is made out of wood"?

You have to turn off the motion smoothing.  Type in "how to turn off soap opera effect for" and then whatever your TV model is and you'll have plenty of results.  You might want motion smoothing for sports or big action movies, but never for anything where humans are just standing/walking and talking.  I never use it, personally.
There are often times in life where I need to hear something many times by different sources. Motion Smoothing is the latest. I need to dig into the settings to turn it off. Thanks.

You're welcome.  Every company uses a different term for "motion smoothing", so that's why I suggested the google search above....users all know the problem of the soap opera effect.

#29 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

    The Camera Guy

  • Moderator
  • 27112 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Markhong, Ontario

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

Someone needs to make a Zeppelin cover band called OLED Zeppelin.

#30 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7128 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

LG has announced it will begin selling the first 8K television later this year. As of now there is only one size (I believe) at 88 inches. It will initially retail for about $42,000 but they're taking pre-orders this month and you can get one for about $34,000 plus a free air purifier. That's quite a bargain, innit?

#31 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12001 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

LG has announced it will begin selling the first 8K television later this year. As of now there is only one size (I believe) at 88 inches. It will initially retail for about $42,000 but they're taking pre-orders this month and you can get one for about $34,000 plus a free air purifier. That's quite a bargain, innit?

They certainly expect us to junk all our 4K TV’s and 4K Blu-rays.....and go all 8K!

Ain’t gonna do it!  :no:



#32 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 5242 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 05 June 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

LG has announced it will begin selling the first 8K television later this year. As of now there is only one size (I believe) at 88 inches. It will initially retail for about $42,000 but they're taking pre-orders this month and you can get one for about $34,000 plus a free air purifier. That's quite a bargain, innit?

They certainly expect us to junk all our 4K TV’s and 4K Blu-rays.....and go all 8K!

Ain’t gonna do it!  :no:
Not interested in saving $8000 by pre-ordering?


Anyone who is not stinking rich that would pay that much for a tv is insane. I was checking about a year ago for a new tv online at a local furniture store and they had a 100" Sony television for $80,000. I couldn't believe it. I think that it is safe to say that they do not keep those tv's in stock.

#33 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12001 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 07 June 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 05 June 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

LG has announced it will begin selling the first 8K television later this year. As of now there is only one size (I believe) at 88 inches. It will initially retail for about $42,000 but they're taking pre-orders this month and you can get one for about $34,000 plus a free air purifier. That's quite a bargain, innit?

They certainly expect us to junk all our 4K TV’s and 4K Blu-rays.....and go all 8K!

Ain’t gonna do it!  :no:
Not interested in saving $8000 by pre-ordering?


Anyone who is not stinking rich that would pay that much for a tv is insane. I was checking about a year ago for a new tv online at a local furniture store and they had a 100" Sony television for $80,000. I couldn't believe it. I think that it is safe to say that they do not keep those tv's in stock.

And current entertainment media (Blu-rays, cable, over-the-air broadcasting, etc.) is still trying to catch up to the 4K technology.  It's years away from 8K.

#34 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 5242 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:25 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 07 June 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 07 June 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 05 June 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

LG has announced it will begin selling the first 8K television later this year. As of now there is only one size (I believe) at 88 inches. It will initially retail for about $42,000 but they're taking pre-orders this month and you can get one for about $34,000 plus a free air purifier. That's quite a bargain, innit?

They certainly expect us to junk all our 4K TV’s and 4K Blu-rays.....and go all 8K!

Ain’t gonna do it!  :no:
Not interested in saving $8000 by pre-ordering?


Anyone who is not stinking rich that would pay that much for a tv is insane. I was checking about a year ago for a new tv online at a local furniture store and they had a 100" Sony television for $80,000. I couldn't believe it. I think that it is safe to say that they do not keep those tv's in stock.

And current entertainment media (Blu-rays, cable, over-the-air broadcasting, etc.) is still trying to catch up to the 4K technology.  It's years away from 8K.
In one of the episodes of Baskets with Zach Galifianakis he buys a 4k tv and is showing it off to his girlfriend and telling her how amazing the picture quality is with 4k. He then tells her that they can't actually watch anything in 4k because they haven't really released any media in that format yet.

Edited by snowdogged, 07 June 2019 - 11:26 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users