La(fson) Villa Strangiato

tks95747

I'm curious to know how you guys and gals stack Lerxst's solo in LVS up against the best guitar solos of other guitarists you like. I like a lot of other guitarists (EVH, Petrucci, Satriani, Rhodes, Lynch, Bettencourt, Aldrich, Beach, Bonamassa, Di Meola, Lukather, Buckethead, Govan... just to name a handful).

In my opinion, Alex's LVS solo is the best, most creative, unique, soulful and dynamic solo out there.

• Like 3

I'd say it's certainly amongst several solos that stand out as so iconic that they defy comparison. EVH's Eruption, Gilmour's Comfortably Numb, Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street being others.
  • Like 2

Nothing beats it that comes to mind so I guess nothing beats it.

Wholeheartedly agree!

I'm guessing you guys are teenagers that just haven't heard a lot of music.

I'm 57, but I still feel like a teenager... Perhaps the All-Knowing Professor, otherwise referred to as "edhunter" is in a giving mood so as to shower us lesser-beings with his greater Light and Knowledge...
  • Like 3

Wholeheartedly agree!

I'm 57, but I still feel like a teenager... Perhaps the All-Knowing Professor, otherwise referred to as "edhunter" is in a giving mood so as to shower us lesser-beings with his greater Light and Knowledge...

I've heard death metal shredding that makes Alex sound like Lil Wayne but guitar solos aren't about how big your metaphorical cock is

Wholeheartedly agree!

I've heard death metal shredding that makes Alex sound like Lil Wayne but guitar solos aren't about how big your metaphorical cock is

of course it's not. It's about feel and how it suits its particular song. While the exit stage left version of La Villa is my favorite lifeson solo it doesn't hold a candle to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Riviera Paradise, or Angus Young Hells Bells or whoever the guy was that played the solo on Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.
  • Like 1

Wholeheartedly agree!

of course it's not. It's about feel and how it suits its particular song. While the exit stage left version of La Villa is my favorite lifeson solo it doesn't hold a candle to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Riviera Paradise, or Angus Young Hells Bells or whoever the guy was that played the solo on Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.

I'm not saying it is the best 100%

Just when I think "great solos", it's probably the first I think of.

And I'm not a teenager, I'm 12 and a half.

• Like 3

Wholeheartedly agree!

Dang, I was only off by 2 years ;) Edited by tks95747

Wholeheartedly agree!

I think you make a great point... The solos I think are some of the best are very different from those that you hold in high regard. It really boils down to personal taste.
  • Like 1

Michael Schenker's was pretty cool on Rock Bottom (Strangers In The Night version) but other than that the only solo's that even just get near the god-like brilliance of La Villa are other solos by Al

couple great ones in Lights Out too actually, now you got me listening to the album, awesome

Love To Love just came on, misty greeen & blueee of course even UFO paid respect to Rush in this album's cover notes

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

Wholeheartedly agree!

I'm 12 1/2 too and have been ever since that older chick with the ruler measured in math class

Back to the topic at hand

La Villa is in that top echelon of solos that not only come to mind for their fire and "wow" factor, but it also made that song what it is - a classic not only in the Rush catalog, but all rock instrumentals .. The composition and creative build is perfect -

It's impossible to compare this guitarist with that guitarist in terms of ability or "who's better" -- but I think you'd be hard pressed to find another guitarist among the greats who could have contributed a better solo for that song .. It's perfect La Villa

• Like 3

Wholeheartedly agree!

I'm 12 1/2 too and have been ever since that older chick with the ruler measured in math class

Back to the topic at hand

La Villa is in that top echelon of solos that not only come to mind for their fire and "wow" factor, but it also made that song what it is - a classic not only in the Rush catalog, but all rock instrumentals .. The composition and creative build is perfect -

It's impossible to compare this guitarist with that guitarist in terms of ability or "who's better" -- but I think you'd be hard pressed to find another guitarist among the greats who could have contributed a better solo for that song .. It's perfect La Villa

Great point. Would we all be jizzing over La Villa Strangiato if it had the solo from Rockin In The Freeworld? Probably not.

• Like 1

Was just listening to this earlier today. It's by far my favorite Lifeson solo. Been listening since the album was new and still get chills from it.

As to how I compare it with solos from other guitarists, that's hard. There are other solos that really excite me too, like Holdsworth's in In The Dead of Night or listening to Steve Vai play For the Love of God. But LVS really is something special.

• Like 2

Also need to remember Alex is dealing with some difficult, syncopated time signatures and the backing band are pretty good as well. For example, behind Satriani's noodling is some pretty crap bass and drums. La Villa is what it is, a beautifully crafted solo up there with Stairway to Heaven and Freebird.
  • Like 3

Michael Schenker's was pretty cool on Rock Bottom (Strangers In The Night version) but other than that the only solo's that even just get near the god-like brilliance of La Villa are other solos by Al

couple great ones in Lights Out too actually, now you got me listening to the album, awesome

Love To Love just came on, misty greeen & blueee of course even UFO paid respect to Rush in this album's cover notes

Never impressed with that Schenker solo that everyone gushes about. The LVS solo is fantastic though.
  • Like 1

Also need to remember Alex is dealing with some difficult, syncopated time signatures and the backing band are pretty good as well. For example, behind Satriani's noodling is some pretty crap bass and drums. La Villa is what it is, a beautifully crafted solo up there with Stairway to Heaven and Freebird.

Page's solo on TSRTS version of Stairway is probably my all-time favorite guitar solo (at least today)
  • Like 2

I'm curious to know how you guys and gals stack Lerxst's solo in LVS up against the best guitar solos of other guitarists you like.

I don't. I don't rate solos on a scale where "best" is at one end. I do enjoy the LVS solo (I presume we're talking about the first one) very much. I love its composition and execution. That said, it's not my favorite Lifeson solo (at least not today), and there are solos by other artists that I like more (at least today).

• Like 2

Compilation of the best solos ever, esp at 0:36 and 0:46.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBiJ-K0IpDA

/thread

The detuning of the violin at the end. :notworthy:

My very favorite part of the funniest movie of all time.

• Like 2