What is this drum?

winter17

I know its a snare, but why does he have two snares, what's the purpose, and why is it so far out of reach? I can only recall him using it on a handful of songs.

It's the one just to the left of his head here

NeilPeart.JPG

And in the top right corner in this picture

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Great thanks. With yall's help could you help me make of list of songs he's used this on or tell me why he might use this snare drum instead of his normal one?
  • Like 1

Great thanks. With yall's help could you help me make of list of songs he's used this on or tell me why he might use this snare drum instead of his normal one?

The reason is tone (the sound of the instrument). A piccolo has a higher pitched snap to it, often described as "bright". Think of the snare sound on Presto, maybe. Here's Neil talking about his snares, from the Presto era: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/modern-drummer-12.1989.php

I really got to know my little snare family. I had a rough idea what each of the drums could do, but I never had the time to really experiment and find out what I like about each of them. I have my old faithful Slingerland snare that has been my number-one snare for years. I've always kept my ears open over the years for different drums, but that one always sounded best. But this time I really wanted to experiment. I tried a few piccolo snares, some of the custom-made snares, just trying whatever I could get my hands on. I had an old Camco snare drum that was given to me in Japan by Tama, and suddenly it sounded great to me. I liked it for years, but all of a sudden it started sounding real good to me. I ended up using it on four songs on the album. It's a very bright-sounding drum.

• Like 3

I know he used it on TMMB, Carnies, 7CoG

I love that sound, and how Neil plays when he's using it. More feel/finesse.

I know I love playing mine.