Is a term "overrated" a valid critique of music?

Texas King

Is a term "overrated" a valid critique of music?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is a term "overrated" a valid critique of music?

always thought it was stupid. I generally see it as a flaw of my own when I don't like a certain artist, especially one that's beloved and influential. I personally dislike U2 and I'm not a fan of the grateful dead, but you can't really say they're not good at what they do, or that they didn't have an impact on music

you see this bizarre persecution complex in people who hate the beatles especially. they act like there's some mass conspiracy surrounding the fact that the beatles are the most influential rock group of all time. it's embarrassing.

• Like 3

While it's not fair to give something a bad review just because it's highly rated by a lot of people, but people do give "classic albums" good reviews just because they're popular. Also, generally, people are idiots, so most popular things aren't all that great. I've trained my brain to not hate things just because they're popular or overrated, but for example I think there is nothing good about Guns N Roses and they're one of the most popular bands ever. Am I wrong? Possibly. Do I think they're overrated? Yuh huh.

I think people just pile on the praises to fit in with current trends or because of nostalgia for the classics. They don't re-evaluate if something is really that great, so things do become overrated.

P.S.

Supertramp sucks

Edited by MalformedEarthborn

This is a good one TK

Is it the music that is overrated, or, the praise, love or accolades that some find to be more than deserved ?

I'm not sure that any music - or art form for that matter - will strike everyone the same, esp in a positive manner .. So once an artist achieves a certain level of success or has accolades dumped upon them - in other words, has a positive impact on the listener - that music will more likely be available and be heard by the people who would generally not seek it out - ie those who don;t appreciate it ..

I think some of the best, most creative songs are the songs that appeal to the much maligned "masses" or "general listener" - I think lumping audiences in to a neat little category is a slippery slope and serves no purpose other than to make those who feel that they are on the outside a bit smarter or aware - which is, in fact, total bullshit ..

Music is what it is to you, and how others hear it, love it or hate shouldn't really be a factor in how you see it .. and I see it here all the time - people who are the most critical and vocal in terms of hating certain artists are the ones who have never learned an instrument, or have the slightest inkling as to what goes in to writing a song ...

Again, great question TK

• Like 3

My thoughts-

Overrated depends on how you define it. If you think something does not live up to the praise it gets, that's sensible. But if you think something does not deserve the praise it gets, that's bad. It means that you think your opinion should be held by all, which is an elitist and poor worldview.

Music quality isn't "objective". You can't factually say a band is good or bad.

• Like 2

It means that you think your opinion should be held by all, which is an elitist and poor worldview.

You speak as if that opinion should be held by all.

Do I? I'm saying that I believe that it's a poor worldview to have.

Calling something overrated is using a completely subjective term which nevertheless results in a plethora of silly, heated, emotional arguments, which I guess makes it an underrated way to critique music or at least another way to derive pleasure from it.
  • Like 1

Is it fair to suggest that an act gets more praise than you think it deserves? Sure. A person should be able to give some kind of rationale for that opinion, though. I personally don't enjoy most of what GnR or Aerosmith put out, but based on the songwriting, playing, and charisma, I understand their popularity, so I wouldn't say that they are overrated.

• Like 1

Is it fair to suggest that an act gets more praise than you think it deserves? Sure. A person should be able to give some kind of rationale for that opinion, though. I personally don't enjoy most of what GnR or Aerosmith put out, but based on the songwriting, playing, and charisma, I understand their popularity, so I wouldn't say that they are overrated.

That’s because they’re not. ;)

• Like 1

To me, when talking about a band it seems to be a synonym for “they’re popular but I don’t personally like them.”

When a fan of a band uses it to discuss a particular song or album, it seems to be a synonym for, “people who aren’t ‘real fans’ like it so I don’t.”

To me, when talking about a band it seems to be a synonym for “they’re popular but I don’t personally like them.”

When a fan of a band uses it to discuss a particular song or album, it seems to be a synonym for, “people who aren’t ‘real fans’ ™ like it so I don’t.”

Moving Picture is overrated.

While it's not fair to give something a bad review just because it's highly rated by a lot of people, but people do give "classic albums" good reviews just because they're popular. Also, generally, people are idiots, so most popular things aren't all that great. I've trained my brain to not hate things just because they're popular or overrated, but for example I think there is nothing good about Guns N Roses and they're one of the most popular bands ever. Am I wrong? Possibly. Do I think they're overrated? Yuh huh.

I think people just pile on the praises to fit in with current trends or because of nostalgia for the classics. They don't re-evaluate if something is really that great, so things do become overrated.

P.S.

Supertramp sucks

What are you doing on a MUSIC APPRECIATION site? I myself, don't rate anything unless I've HEARD IT. and SUPERTRAMP DOES NOT SUCK.

2QaJ2Se.jpg

What are you doing on a MUSIC APPRECIATION site? I myself, don't rate anything unless I've HEARD IT. and SUPERTRAMP DOES NOT SUCK.

2QaJ2Se.jpg

Apparently you weren't listening when you 'heard' it, or you would have realized Supertramp does suck. :P

When a fan of a band uses it to discuss a particular song or album, it seems to be a synonym for, “people who aren’t ‘real fans’ ™ like it so I don’t.”

The Aussie band? ;)

It's a bit worn out for me, but that's because I overplayed it.

Edited by goose

It really f***ing isn't

• Like 1

It really f***ing isn't

it fukking well is.........a tad.

those last two songs suck the wind out it.

to me it aain't a perfect listen.

it's wonderful.......but to give it a 10........is a bit much.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

It really f***ing isn't

Mick

Not to the person giving it . . . which is sort of at the heart of these debates.

It really f***ing isn't

Mick

Not to the person giving it . . . which is sort of at the heart of these debates.

of course........but........mine's right!!!

(wink wink)

Mick

• Like 1