Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Exit...Stage Left (1981)

Segue Myles

Ok. I cannot say this is bad it was fine. I mean Rush are very impressive live and that shines through.

But this live album was so BORRRRRING!!

It sounds like a studio album. And aside from an awesome as always Xanadu, I could just collect all the studio tracks, assemble them in the order laid out here, and have a more exciting listen.

This is a fine album for what it is. But after All The World's A Stage, I expected more.

Like I said, live albums are very hit and miss for me. This was a miss. Almost a hit but, well, boredom prevailed.

I give this a 5/10

I won't knock the performances but taken as a whole, this left me very cold.

• Like 2

Yeah, I virtually never listen to this one. If I want to hear these songs, I'll go to the studio versions every time. They're only slightly different, but they're slightly better, and if I want to hear these songs consecutively I have the ability to do that now.

Better reproduction here, but it completely lacks the qualities that makes ATWAS so sublime.

• Like 1

MI0000039293.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

So I continue my marathon with the final album of the second stage. Honestly have no expectations. This is a live album, cool setlist, and to be honest absolutely no hype.

Is this a good one? Will I enjoy it? Live albums are very hit or miss for me, with All The World's A Stage proving to be a major hit.

But I will just enjoy this for what it is, and leave my thoughts below.

Pros: it's Rush at their peak and the set list is amazing.

Cons: those annoying spaces between the tracks.

• Like 1

Is this anyone's favourite live album?

I think many fans hold it in high regard in spite of its overproduction. I do for sure. It impressed the heck out of me that they sound that good live. The Exit... Stage Left concert DVD is essential viewing.

Edited by Wil1972

I have the Replay X3 box set and I'll throw on this DVD as background noise/viewing. Never bothered getting the vinyl.

ATWAS is a better album, GuP live is my favourite live DVD and Hands is fun too

GuP is stellar. In spite of the collective fashion disaster on display by the band.

• Like 2

So here is how I rank the second stage:

1. Moving Pictures (10/10)

2. A Farewell To Kings (10/10)

3. Hemispheres (10/10)

4. Permanent Waves (8/10)

5. Exit...Stage Left (5/10)

So far the overall ranking is:

1. Moving Pictures (10/10)

2. A Farewell To Kings (10/10)

3. 2112 (10/10)

4. All The World's A Stage (10/10)

5. Hemispheres (10/10)

6. Caress Of Steel (9/10)

7. Permanent Waves (8/10)

8. Rush (8/10)

9. Fly By Night (7/10) REVISED RATING

10. Exit...Stage Left (5/10)

This was a terrific run of albums. It gets patches after this. Sadly.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks this is too close in sound to a studio recording?

Probably not. Fans have commented in the past that with the audience so low in the mix and the post-production "corrections" the album sounds less like a live album and more like an album of alternate takes of Rush studio recordings.

• Like 2

Yes i don't like the gaps between songs.I found myself listening to side 3 the most because it is a complete performance(is it?).Unfortunately the production is lifeless and the gaps mean it all goes quiet and you can hear your mate next to you say 'great performance of Tom Sawyer,old chap'instead ofhim yelling over thousands.On ATWAS the band were young and hungry and it was recorded in a smallish hall.Now they are playing to thousands and big arenas and that intimacy isnt there.The bootleg i had St Louis 1980 i had was much better with that spark and feel of ATWAS.Having said this i have the Sector 2 remaster of Exit and it leaps out of my speakers now along with significant improvements of mysound gear.A quantam leap forward and despite stylistic changes A Show of Hands restored my faith in their live albums until Rio(the cd,not dvd).

This is like their best greatest hits compilation, but there's no fire like All the World's a Stage or the 1978 London show. The video is awesome though.

It is all about the video at this point imo. Its fantastic. To some it may sound sterile but from my perspective its the boys at their peak and the masses finally getting it....

I love atwas more but esl is 2nd in terms of live Rush

• Like 1

ESL works as 'greatest hits' album, but lacks really any sort of 'live' quality (to me)

The glaring studio splice of LVS is too jarring to my ears...although I listen to it just to hear the shear awesomeness of Alex.

Of course Xanadu and Freewill are probably the best versions...evah!

:)

Nope. When I first heard it, I wondered what the point of the album was. I struck me as a greatest hits album with crowd noise superimposed, in comparison with the energy of All The World's A Stage.

EDIT: I see many others have posted almost identically. :)

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Nope. When I first heard it, I wondered what the point of the album was. I struck me as a greatest hits album with crowd noise superimposed, in comparison with the energy of All The World's A Stage.

The times have changed so it may be hard for younger folks to appreciate the importance of the live record.

The fact that they could pull off live the complicated music they made in the studio

Proved they were badasses.

Neils solo blew peoples minds too.

• Like 2

The times have changed so it may be hard for younger folks to appreciate the importance of the live record.

The fact that they could pull off live the complicated music they made in the studio

I make clear all through this that the playing is incredible and mind blowing, but the post-production robs all sense of excitement from the recordings. The polar opposite to ATWAS.

• Like 1

I make clear all through this that the playing is incredible and mind blowing, but the post-production robs all sense of excitement from the recordings. The polar opposite to ATWAS.

Maybe they were hoping to make it more palatable. Softening their sound and image imo.

• Like 1

Maybe they were hoping to make it more palatable. Softening their sound and image imo.

Maybe. I know I really enjoy Different Stages every time I play it.

Is this anyone's favourite live album?

It's mine, because of the set list primarily, but also because side three plus La Villa is as amazing as it gets for me. As someone mentioned, despite the muddy production, this was Rush at its peak. I remember watching "videos" on MTV taken from the concert video. For a kid who grew up in the Midwest and who had only seen Rush play on Don Kirshner's (once, it was the AFTK video) I couldn't get enough of these songs. I didn't care that the production was too polished (actually cared a little but dealt with it). In fact, with side 3 and La Villa being my highlights, the polished production kind of worked; those are still my favorite versions of those songs. I agree though for much of the rest of the songs, the studio versions are arguably better, making ESL kind of superfluous apart from it being a snapshot of Rush at the top of the nerd rock world. I do though think that Geddy's vocal style is better on ESL than on the corresponding studio versions. Listen to Red Barchetta from MP back to back with ESL's; on ESL his style is less florid and dramatic, an improvement I think. I never noticed until my (then) 4 year-old would listen to ESL's Red Barchetta twenty times a day. After that, Geddy sound like he's trying too hard on the MP version, to me. So there's something to be said for ESL, apart from the Trees, Xanadu and La Villa.

Good review. Despite it being my favorite live album (though I'd admit many are "better" as live albums, ATWAS certainly being one), I understand your low rating.

• Like 1

I'd have to agree with your general sentiment. For my money, the two best Rush live albums are A Show of Hands DVD and Rush in Rio, and that's because they FEEL live and there's some emotion to it.

"Rush in Rio" all the way for me.