Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Permanent Waves (1980)

Segue Myles

J24936000000000-00-500x500.jpg

After the absolutely breathtaking voyage of rediscovery I had journeying through the waters of Rush's undisputed legendary prog metal years, we now come to the second half of the second stage of my Rush marathon. Which is in itself a very interesting time period for the band.

Many may disagree, but for me Permanent Waves is arguably a bit of a disappointing release. Now don't get me wrong, it is a great achievement but at the same time for an album I rate so highly, this is nevertheless one of the very few Rush albums that I have never at any point been addicted too.

Why? I cannot say. But even when I disliked Hemispheres, I still found this a less than exciting release. Is that about to change?

As we enter a new decade (with arguably the last album of the seventies), we embark upon the opening of a new chapter for Rush: their commercial breakthrough.

• Like 3

1. Spirit Of Radio

A major fan favourite, and one of the most enduring rock classics of the era, this is an exceptional song.

And one I also don't truly regard as highly as many do.

But let's not get too critical. Even if I will never put this song higher than the likes of 2112 or Xanadu, it is a one of a kind type song. There is NOTHING out there like this Spirit Of Radio, and there very likely never will be again.

I read somewhere recently that Spirit Of Radio is designed to resemble the changing of radio channels, which is why it explores so many different styles in its relatively short timeframe. Bravo Rush! This is how to change direction and still keep your integrity intact!

It is catchy, that is for sure. And the band is tight! It could be argued that in this one short song they explore as many ideas and change dynamics more than they do on any of their precious epics. And the reggae breakdown as it segues seamlessly into the sound of crowd applause is never not thrilling!

So hey! As I listen to this song and really pay attention to it, I find myself more and more attentive to the small details.

I started this little review on a fairly critical note. I end it reminded just why for so many fans it is a masterpiece. Because it is. And I love it.

(Just don't expect it to ever be my number one).

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

2. Freewill

This is one of the greatest Rush songs of all time!

"You can choose a ready guide

In some celestial voice

If you choose not to decide

You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears

And kindness that can kill

I will choose a path that’s clear

I will choose free will."

Rush have the most amazing ability to write world class melodies, kickass rock songs and still deliver truly amazing lyrics with extraordinary themes. Whilst rock and metal is often bogged down with the themes of sex, lust, hedonism and, especially during the eighties, sappy romance, it is amazing to hear a band like Rush take bold leaps towards a more radio friendly sound, and yet still keep the message so bloody intelligent!

Thunderous performance form Peart here. More of those insane high vocals from Geddy. Alex, whilst more restrained at this stage in the bands history than he was during the early albums, still adds so much melody and vibrancy to proceedings. Freewill is the sound of a band working as a unit, together, to create something grand.

Freewill is a killer Rush moment.

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

So far, I am wondering why it is this album has never enveloped me.
  • Like 1

3. Jacob's Ladder

Now this is one song I have always really enjoyed! It isn't the most memorable song the band has written, but the spiky, almost peculiarly Stravinsky-like guitar riffs from Lifeson conjure up images of an unsettled sea during a storm. This is a masterful example of rock music succeeding as true art. There is so much texture and flavour to the arrangements of this song, and the synths of Geddy as well as some of the more surreal vocal effects create an absolutely intoxicating reverie of sound.

"All at once,

The clouds are parted

Light streams down

In bright unbroken beams"

This is how you paint with words, and the music is choppy and angular and ever flowing! Again, the unsettled sea during a storm vibe. I LOVE JACOB'S LADDER! My favourite song on the album?

Very likely. I have always found Jacob's Ladder to be a woefully overlooked classic. It carries for me the strongest resemblance to their earlier work, the atmosphere so thick and dense it harkens back to their AFTK era.

Again, listening attentitively to these songs, and finding them to be so vibrant and creative and bold...what has prevented it from being one of my biggest obsessions?

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

4. Entre Nous

This is another truly wonderful Rush song. It does, however, continue the winning streak of great songs without quite leaving me as breathless as the last three did.

Anything to dislike? Perhaps only an air of familiarity. The song is glorious, the chorus may be my second favourite on the album after Freewill, but it fails to reach the creative heights of Spirit Of Radio, or the textural complexity of Jacob's Ladder.

Another winner, even though it falls slightly short of the very best this album had too offer.

8/10

• Like 2

5. Different Strings

There is once more some of that rather enjoyable fantasy imagery at play in the lyrics. This is also another very good example of Rush toying with dynamics and creating truly beautiful sounds. But the song is missing a little something for me. It feels like it is building for a climax that never arrives, and whilst the chorus has some more beautiful lyrics, it is still not amongst the finest songs that Rush have in their arsenal. It feels similar in style to the likes of Tears or Closer To The Heart, but not quite as accomplished or as affecting as either.

Still, a lovely, if mildly forgettable, soft ballad from a band that has and will continue to do this sort of thing better.

7/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

6. Natural Science

This album is bookended by two very accomplished and beautiful experiments in style and technique. Natural Science carries a lot of the grand ferocity of the Cygnus epics, balancing that with the grace and beauty of the more arrestingly seductive likes of Xanadu or La Villa Strangiato.

Sadly, though, it doesn't really offer enough fresh ideas to really match the true grandeur and uniqueness of the best of the last three albums. I know Natural Science is beloved by many. But its always been a "very good" epic Rush song to my ears.

I just think by this point they were right to tone down the extravagant proggier side of their sound, because Natural Science is the result of what had been intended to be a much bigger, ambitious epic. If this is a culmination of all the best elements of it, then I think they were right to cut it down to size. Because what we have here is more of, and I hate to say this, the same.

But I sound more heavily critical than I ought too. I really do admire and enjoy this song, and whilst it doesn't end the album at the same level as it began, it damn well tries too, and almost succeeds.

8/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

So now the album is over, and I remain slightly disappointed with it. It is the first Rush album to sound, and I hesitate to use this word but I mean it in the mildest form of the word, stale.

The first three songs are killer, and they are the freshest sounding material this album has to offer! Jacob's Ladder has always been a favourite of mine. Its glorious and it has a mood and the atmosphere to keep me in high anticipation for the greatness that never quite follows it.

The last three songs are really good, but they don't impress me the way I feel the greatest Rush music ought too. There is just to much carry over from older albums with absolutely nothing new on offer, which is a first for Rush: songs that do not in any way expand upon old ideas or themes. But this is always bound to happen, and I wouldn't mind if the material was stronger and more memorable. But it isn't.

So we have a slightly inconsistent Rush release, but enough bold moments of experimentation, as well as fervent reminders that this trio is utterly peerless in terms of talent and band chemistry, to keep me excited for what is to come next.

Because the next album, Moving Pictures, is an absolute masterpiece.

As for Permanent Waves, I rate it:

8/10

The highlights for me are:

Jacob's Ladder

Freewill

Spirit Of Radio

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

5. Different Strings

There is once more some of that rather enjoyable fantasy imagery at play in the lyrics. This is also another very good example of Rush toying with dynamics and creating truly beautiful sounds. But the song is missing a little something for me. It feels like it is building for a climax that never arrives, and whilst the chorus has some more beautiful lyrics, it is still not amongst the finest songs that Rush have in their arsenal. It feels similar in style to the likes of Tears or Closer To The Heart, but not quite as accomplished or as affecting as either.

Still, a lovely, if mildly forgettable, soft ballad from a band that has and will continue to do this sort of thing better.

7/10

Different Strings is the Madrigal of this album; by itself it's a rather inconsequential track, but within the framework and flow of the album, it - and Madrigal - works.

6. Natural Science

This album is bookended by two very accomplished and beautiful experiments in style and technique. Natural Science carries a lot of the grand ferocity of the Cygnus epics, balancing that with the grace and beauty of the more arrestingly seductive likes of Xanadu or La Villa Strangiato.

Sadly, though, it doesn't really offer enough fresh ideas to really match the true grandeur and uniqueness of the best of the last three albums. I know Natural Science is beloved by many. But its always been a "very good" epic Rush song to my ears.

I just think by this point they were right to tone down the extravagant proggier side of their sound, because Natural Science is the result of what had been intended to be a much bigger, ambitious epic. If this is a culmination of all the best elements of it, then I think they were right to cut it down to size. Because what we have here is more of, and I hate to say this, the same.

But I sound more heavily critical than I ought too. I really do admire and enjoy this song, and whilst it doesn't end the album at the same level as it began, it damn well tries too, and almost succeeds.

8/10

Have to disagree here. NatSci is one of their best epics. I understand your criticisms but to me PeW is a darn near masterpiece, only surpassed by MP.

5. Different Strings

7/10

Different Strings is the Madrigal of this album; by itself it's a rather inconsequential track, but within the framework and flow of the album, it - and Madrigal - works.

Not sure, because I love Madrigal as a standalone track, whilst for me Different Strings is almost dull, and whilst it takes nothing away from the impact of Natural Science, it adds little either. Madrigal worked as an intermission between the more fantasy themed earlier tracks and the darker, moodier science fiction of the last. Different Strings merely blurs Entre Nous and Natural Science together to create a rather underwhelming finale to what had started out as another perfect Rush album.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

6. Natural Science

8/10

Have to disagree here. NatSci is one of their best epics. I understand your criticisms but to me PeW is a darn near masterpiece, only surpassed by MP.

I hear you! But I've never disliked this album, I just don't love it as much as many others.

But 8/10 is a high score and it does not deserve anything less. If you think its stronger, I truly cannot argue. Every song is full of merit, but some fans are bound to prefer certain records over others.

• Like 1

6. Natural Science

8/10

NatSci is very much a recycling of the best moments of the Kings/Hemi era. It's done very successfully, in my mind, which explains why it's loved so much. I actually prefer it to the Kings/Hemi stuff.

Only an 8? You don't know nothing, buddy lol.

I don't think about their other epics too often when listening to Natural Science. I think it's a great song that stands very well on its own. Never got the impression they were recycling sounds from past songs.

10/10

• Like 1

I don't think about their other epics too often when listening to Natural Science. I think it's a great song that stands very well on its own. Never got the impression they were recycling sounds from past songs.

10/10

When I listen to this album, I always feel slightly disappointed by it. Now I have never tried to explain why before but chose to do so with this thread.

Permanent Waves was my third Rush album after both MP and 2112, and I remember still not finding it completely enthralling. All I've done here is try to give some thought as to why after several years I still don't quite love this album as much as others.

Note I said "as much". Because love this album I do. I tried to make that as clear as possible haha

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

6. Natural Science

8/10

NatSci is very much a recycling of the best moments of the Kings/Hemi era. It's done very successfully, in my mind, which explains why it's loved so much. I actually prefer it to the Kings/Hemi stuff.

That's perfectly fine. I think its a great song and a great album. But I don't find it to be the perfect album that many fans proclaim it to be, and after the last three albums it stands out even moreso.

The love many have for a song like Natural Science is similar to how I view The Camera Eye. To each their own.

But 8/10 is still a very high score!

I rate Permanent Waves only a fraction less than CoS. I think the bands first 8 albums is one of the greatest album runs in rock history. For some fans, it carries on unbroken. But I am not a fan of Signals really. That is next, after Exit...Stage Left (which I have never heard before).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

5. Different Strings

7/10

Not sure, because I love Madrigal as a standalone track, whilst for me Different Strings is almost dull, and whilst it takes nothing away from the impact of Natural Science, it adds little either. Madrigal worked as an intermission between the more fantasy themed earlier tracks and the darker, moodier science fiction of the last. Different Strings merely blurs Entre Nous and Natural Science together to create a rather underwhelming finale to what had started out as another perfect Rush album.

Madrigal is just okay to me on its own.

6. Natural Science

8/10

I hear you! But I've never disliked this album, I just don't love it as much as many others.

But 8/10 is a high score and it does not deserve anything less. If you think its stronger, I truly cannot argue. Every song is full of merit, but some fans are bound to prefer certain records over others.

Exactly. At least you rank it pretty high.

10/10

When I listen to this album, I always feel slightly disappointed by it. Now I have never tried to explain why before but chose to do so with this thread.

Permanent Waves was my third Rush album after both MP and 2112, and I remember still not finding it completely enthralling. All I've done here is try to give some thought as to why after several years I still don't quite love this album as much as others.

Note I said "as much". Because love this album I do. I tried to make that as clear as possible haha

But you're supposed to love it as much as we do!

• Like 1

2. Freewill

In some celestial voice

Rush have the most amazing ability to write world class melodies, kickass rock songs and still deliver truly amazing lyrics with extraordinary themes. Whilst rock and metal is often bogged down with the themes of sex, lust, hedonism and, especially during the eighties, sappy romance, it is amazing to hear a band like Rush take bold leaps towards a more radio friendly sound, and yet still keep the message so bloody intelligent!

Thunderous performance form Peart here. More of those insane high vocals from Geddy. Alex, whilst more restrained at this stage in the bands history than he was during the early albums, still adds so much melody and vibrancy to proceedings. Freewill is the sound of a band working as a unit, together, to create something grand.

10/10

Freewill and Limelight are two songs I can never listen to without being disappointed. They are both amazing songs, that I was never able to see live on the last two tours (3 shows).

2. Freewill

In some celestial voice

10/10

Freewill and Limelight are two songs I can never listen to without being disappointed. They are both amazing songs, that I was never able to see live on the last two tours (3 shows).

Freewill isn't worth seeing live now that Geddy can't hit the high notes at the "each of us" part. It was kind of cringey when I saw it