Test For Echo production

PermanentMovingSignals

From memory, I thought it was a great sounding turd. I also remember thinking it sounded not as great as Counterparts, but better than all the records that came after (even Snakes And Arrows).

From memory, I thought it was a great sounding turd. I also remember thinking it sounded not as great as Counterparts, but better than all the records that came after (even Snakes And Arrows).

T4E does sound great really, all shiny. Fantastic production nothing at all like Vapor Trails, mix destruction wise. I suppose it come down to preference. I do prefer C.P. production over most of the later Rush albums. T4E sounds sparkly and great! though it contains my least favourite Rush tunes! I prefer the open, dry and powerful C.P. production. Its one of the best sounding Rush albums imo.

• Like 3

T4E does sound great really, all shiny. Fantastic production nothing at all like Vapor Trails, mix destruction wise. I suppose it come down to preference. I do prefer C.P. production over most of the later Rush albums. T4E sounds sparkly and great! though it contains my least favourite Rush tunes! I prefer the open, dry and powerful C.P. production. Its one of the best sounding Rush albums imo.

Agreed. I mean I love Vapor Trails exactly as it is, and also really appreciate the remix. But at the same time, coming after two sublime production jobs, I can hear why VT is so maligned.

But the songs sound great without really deserving too. VT is great, perhaps even elevated, by its damaged sound.

My opinion though haha

• Like 2

It doesn't sound as crisp as Counterparts, but it suffers none of the problems that plague VT and CA. Of the post 80s albums, it stands up there with CP and SnA for best sounding.

However I don't think rock music production ever got much better than the mid-to-late Terry Brown years. PeW and MP in particular are almost objectively flawless in sound. Compared to those T4E is pretty average.

• Like 2

Agreed. I mean I love Vapor Trails exactly as it is, and also really appreciate the remix. But at the same time, coming after two sublime production jobs, I can hear why VT is so maligned.

But the songs sound great without really deserving too. VT is great, perhaps even elevated, by its damaged sound.

My opinion though haha

I can't dislike an album based solely on production values. Something unique and special evolved from the experiences and writing process with Vapor Trails even in its final production! I love VT, its a very special Rush album. However you cut it they have not made an album so openly emotional and are not likely to ever to.

• Like 3

My opinion though haha

I can't dislike an album based solely on production values. Something unique and special evolved from the experiences and writing process with Vapor Trails even in its final production! I love VT, its a very special Rush album. However you cut it they have not made an album so openly emotional and are not likely to ever to.

Vapor Trails currently stands as my favourite Rush album (and has done for more than a year).

• Like 2

I commented on this last week on another thread so I'll just repeat myself: There's a fuzziness/slight distortion to the mix that I never cared for. Geddy's bass sounds like shit and the drums are muffled. Its not as good as Counterparts before it where both sounded great
  • Like 1

My opinion though haha

VT is a painfully produced collection of wonderfully beautiful songs. T4E is a wonderfully produced collection of painfully horrible songs.
  • Like 6

My opinion though haha

VT is a painfully produced collection of wonderfully beautiful songs. T4E is a wonderfully produced collection of painfully horrible songs.

:LOL: Exactly. That perfectly sums up those albums up for me.

• Like 1

I commented on this last week on another thread so I'll just repeat myself: There's a fuzziness/slight distortion to the mix that I never cared for. Geddy's bass sounds like shit and the drums are muffled. Its not as good as Counterparts before it where both sounded great

Agreed. Especially about the drums...they’re very muddy and most of the toms sound the same so that certain parts it’s hard for me to make out exactly what Neil is doing.

• Like 1

My opinion though haha

My how opinions vary. Test For Echo is 1 of the cds I listen to with quite a bit of regularity but I literally have no idea the last time I listened to Vapor Trails.

• Like 2

My opinion though haha

My how opinions vary. Test For Echo is 1 of the cds I listen to with quite a bit of regularity but I literally have no idea the last time I listened to Vapor Trails.

VT is pretty much unlistenable to me as a CD long experience. But I love the songs in spite of the headache-inducing production. T4E sounds great to me, but when I give it a listen, I end up skipping most of the songs after about 30 seconds.
  • Like 1

Horrible record. By far the worst in the catalogue. At least with Caress of Steel they could say they were young and going for it. They didn't have that excuse with T4E. I'll never forget hearing the title track for the first time and thinking "Well. They had a good run." Some of thosr songs I haven't heard in over 20 years. I just noticed I don't even have it on my phone. Edited by edhunter

Horrible record. By far the worst in the catalogue. At least with Caress of Steel they could say they were young and going for it. They didn't have that excuse with T4E. I'll never forget hearing the title track for the first time and thinking "Well. They had a good run." Some of thosr songs I haven't heard in over 20 years. I just noticed I don't even have it on my phone.

Caress Of Steel is a near masterpiece.

• Like 3

Outside of Driven, Resist and Time and Motion, TFE really is hit and miss. Some mediocre tracks. Though I will say Carve Away the Stone never fails to be an odd little earworm for me.

It is annoyingly intriguing, isn't it? :P

A clever element of the song is how the aimless, meandering yet circular repetition of the song mirrors the punishment endured by the cursed Sisyphus.

Sisyphus, Ixion, and Tantalus...

6370.jpg?v=1487348063

https://www.ancient....n-and-tantalus/

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

Horrible record. By far the worst in the catalogue. At least with Caress of Steel they could say they were young and going for it. They didn't have that excuse with T4E. I'll never forget hearing the title track for the first time and thinking "Well. They had a good run." Some of thosr songs I haven't heard in over 20 years. I just noticed I don't even have it on my phone.

I don't think it's their worst album. It does come at the end of a run of albums that were all (at least) a noticeable step down from their best work though.