Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: All The World's A Stage (1976)

Segue Myles

I have a confession to make:

I have played hardly any of the live Rush albums. For a fact I can tell you, I started this album once and skipped loads of tracks.

It isn't unique to Rush: I tend to find live albums boring.

When I started this little review project, I had in mind only the studio albums. But I am loving my marathon so much, I decided to continue my progress in chronological order by listening to all the live albums as well. If I miss any, please let me know!

MI0001806371.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

1. Bastille Day

BLOW ME DOWN THIS HAS BARELY STARTED AND MY HEART IS RACING!

Excuse me a moment...I need to head bang.

All who doubt this bands metal credentials, shut up and listen to this!

Wowsers!!!

Geddy sounds phenomenal. I mean honestly, this sounds like his studio voice.

Ok I may really enjoy this one...

10/10

• Like 3

2. Anthem

Ok...well...this song sounds better live than it did in the studio!

This album is really impressive sounding. I am actually amazed by how heavy and exuberant they sound! This must have been an amazing gig.

So far, two of my favourite early Rush songs. Both sound amazing live (Maybe the tides are turning once more and live Rush will be fave Rush).

The way Geddy screams on this song excites me! He...is actually stealing some of Lifeson's limelight here.

METAL

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

3. Fly By Night/In The Mood

If ever I need to introduce a band to early Rush, this album is perfect. Three killer songs in a row, this again sounds so much better live! No wonder the bands live reputation is second to none!

Oh gosh I wish I was a fossil so I could have been young back then at right at the front.

Youthful Rush is a breathtaking Rush.

BREATHTAKING!

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

This album sounds terrific. It also has a killer tracklist so I may have to spin this more, it's full of the songs I love, but even louder and more energetic.
  • Like 1

4. Something For Nothing

Well...hate to rain on anyone's parade...But I actually preferred the studio version. At least vocally. But Lifeson is FIYAH!

Bloody amazing performance...how are they not tired?

8/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I am having a really hard time listening to this and telling myself "this is not a studio album...they really did play this great for entire nights".

I mean, this could almost be a studio album, it's so good!

Legends!

• Like 1

5. Lakeside Park

Wowsers they really capture the relaxed tone and feel of the studio version, whilst keeping the forward momentum of the concert experience going!

I love this song, and it's almost as great live as it is in the studio. It's sat amongst some amazing songs too, just like it deserves.

I do prefer the gentler studio version though. But this concert is all about the ENERGY and that is not to be knocked!

9/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

The fadeout between Lakeside Park and the intro to 2112 is beautifully done. Gosh I can SMELL the audience listening to this!

What an amazing recording this is. Lightning captured in a bottle!

• Like 2

6. 2112

I love the version of this song played in full on Different Stages but all the same this is terrific.

The chanting of Geddy at the start is something I never noticed on the studio recording until today!

Lifeson is my new guitar hero. I am listening to all these early Rush albums as if for the first time!

I can already sense my disappointment when I get to Signals growing.

10/10

• Like 2

I am wondering if people's preference for the start and the finish of 2112 is due to the ATWAS version?

I mean I get it. This is an exquisite recording, once again I am left stunned by this song and this band. So many bands I love have amazing studio records but when it comes to live performances, they fall down.

Rush not only match their studio work (which is EXTREMELY impressive), but often the songs themselves )if this album is anything to go by) are actually enhanced by the live setting.

2112 is sublime here.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

7. By-Tor And The Snow Dog

I definitely appreciated this live version more than the studio. This was even more exciting!

This took a song from almost great to absolute down and out rock n roll- in all its self indulgent glory- peaky perky perfection.

The magic of live Rush is truly starting to make sense to me!

10/10

• Like 2

8. In The End

Now I stated in my review for the album version of this song that the studio version is my favourite.

I must have been smoking crack. The studio version is indeed one of my favourite Rush songs, but the live version is spellbinding! It took an already great song to even greater heights!

Studio version of course remains a 10. I love it for the way it is, and now I am listening finally to this epic live album in its entirety, I can happily say this is another stupendous version of the song.

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I just noticed that this album ends with What You're Doing.

I just came.

• Like 2

How did they manage to stay so note perfect for entire concerts? So many bands today sound tired after three songs, and they are rarely as complex as this!
  • Like 1

9. Working Man/Finding My Way

I am really loving the songs from the debut album, and I am delighted to hear then live! Gosh...I'd happily pay to hear the entire debut as a live album based on this.

Working Man sounds tremendous. Such weight and it sounds so layered and deep.

THIS BAND ONLY HAS THREE MEMBERS!

I keep having to remind myself this is one band of three/one night of performances.

It is gobsmacking. I think the reason I don't already rate Rush higher than I do currently is because I have overlooked the quality of their live ability. In awe.

• Like 1

Totally loving the jamming at the end of Finding My Way.

Peart, you are my bloody king!

How the f**k do the three members of Rush all shine so brightly they actually are all the highlight of the entire shebang?

A* to you all!

Seriously thinking of marrying Rush.

• Like 1

10. What You're Doing

I LOOOOOOVE THIS SOOOOOONG!

See my review in the earlier thread for the debut, and times it by 2!

10/10

• Like 1

What have I learned today?

That the first stage of Rush's career is astoundingly great. The debut is killer. Caress Of Steel is beautiful (ok, I already knew that), 2112 is sublime across both sides.

Oh and this live album ends the first stage of their career perfectly!

This live album blew me away! And it is also the perfect end to the first stage of my Rush marathon.

Highlights of this live album are:

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Working Man/Finding My Way

In The End

What You're Doing

• Like 3

My rankings of the first stage of Rush's careers (dictated by live album releases, not decade).

1. 2112 (10/10)

2. All The World's A Stage (10/10)

3. Caress Of Steel (9/10)

4. Rush (8/10)

5. Fly By Night (8/10)

• Like 1

I'm gonna spin this baby all day long.

I bloody loved it! I will listen to every official Rush live album in chronological order (including the bonus material on recent album re-releases, when the time comes).