Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Fly By Night (1975)

Segue Myles

MI0001950520.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Time for this little gem!

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

1. Anthem

This is a CLASSIC Rush song. It builds onto the best songs of the debut beautifully, but there is a more assured sense of direction and confidence on display here. The song feels more focused, tighter structurally and Geddy, whilst still very powerful, sounds more controlled vocally. Terrific playing from Alex again!

Seriously he really is a phenomenal guitarist! And Peart? They chose an epic song to introduce this soon to be legend!

I love Anthem. One of the bands greatest songs, the stop start riffage at the end is made for snapping your neck too. METAL!

10/10

• Like 6

2. Best I Can

Not one of the bands greatest songs, I don't really know what the general view is on this song. I like it. It doesn't really sound special to my ears, but it is good. The lyrics make me role my eyes a little. The solo is great though!

Slightly underwhelming. I'd like to know what you guys think of it though!

6/10

• Like 1

3. Beneath, Between And Behind

I love the rollicking intro to this song! I get shades of future Rush here. It has a little of that atmosphere that A Farewell To Kings has. To my ears anyway. The band have great chemistry and I think the chorus is fantastic! This is definitely metal. Play this alongside Saxon, Priest and Maiden. It is great!

8/10

• Like 3

4. By-Tor And The Snow Dog

The bands first epic!

Ok, it's definitely a mini-epic but I love it! It sounds to my ears a little like an old school cartoon theme song at the beginning and I know for a fact that I would have watched that!

Many fansove this song. I know I do and whilst they would go on to do far better long songs than this, I smile when this plays and it genuinely is a fine slice of seventies rock n roll! The riffs are insane.

How anyone can listen to this, an album from 1975, and deny it's place in metal history makes me laugh! This is the stuff that fuelled the young musicians to create the music we love from the eighties!

METAL RUSH IS METAL, FULL STOP!

The instrumental breaks are truly epic. You can picture huge battles whilst this song plays and PEART IS AMAZING ON THIS TRACK! I can smell the blood and iron of the battlefield!

Truth be told I have no idea what this song is about but I don't care.

I hear echoes of Yes around the 4:50 Mark as well. Classic Rush. Any self-respecting fan of this band should appreciate what they were trying to do here. But they not only revealed their ambition for their sound here, arguably they nailed it too.

8/10

• Like 3

5. Fly By Night

For many bands, a song this catchy and well played would be an iconic, defining moment. But for Rush, this is merely an early hit. And a great, GREAT example of Rush truly finding their feet as a unit in a new line-up!

Geddy Lee has a beautiful tone on this album. He sounds really confident on this track, and that chorus is great fun to sing along too!

9/10

• Like 2

6. Making Memories

The acoustic intro sounds fabulous to my ears. I have always really loved this song! It's not by any means the best song on the album, but it has that wonderful seventies feel too it. A positive little song and they never released another song quite like this one. Alex really shines again here.

Look at me, I am turning into an Alex Lifeson fangirl!

9/10

• Like 4

7. Rivendell

This song gets a lot of negativity from fans. But I like the softness of this song, it shows a young band brave enough to try new ideas. Of course I am not saying every one should love Rivendell, but the best parts of Rush to me are often when they write songs with different movements. Look at the softer parts of 2112, Hemispheres etc. These songs do have moments that have, it must be said, more emotional weight and musical ambition than Rivendell. But they really do owe a little something to the Fly By Night deep cut. They are to be heard here testing the waters with both their ambition and perhaps even the limits of their own, rather new fans. I am glad they did, because it shows another side to their sound, one they would improve upon massively with future releases.

The lyrics are fine. I love fantasy and to see Rush and Tolkien together is lovely. Shame we never got Rush's take on The Battle Of Helm's Deep, but this will do.

6/10

• Like 2

8. In The End

Many fans prefer the live version of this song. Me? I will always love the studio version! Easily my favourite song off the entire album!

I love everything about it. Beautiful chorus and it has a weight and majesty that still gets my blood pumping. Not sure why it's so underrated, but I love In The End.

10/10

• Like 3

Now I really enjoy Fly By Night. I would say though that overall, I had more fun listening to the debut, the second side especially. But Fly By Night is an ambitious and fun album with a growing sense of ambition and in many ways superior songcraft.

Whilst I do think its a rather patchy album, the album itself has no genuine weak spots, even if I do admit Rivendell pushes it close. By I stand by my sentiments: it saw a band trying new things and doing a good job at it too.

In many ways the same can be said for the entire album.

Athough I rated it slightly less song for song than I did the debut, I still think that it deserves the same score.

8/10

Highlights:

Anthem

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

In The End

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

2. Best I Can

Not one of the bands greatest songs, I don't really know what the general view is on this song. I like it. It doesn't really sound special to my ears, but it is good. The lyrics make me role my eyes a little. The solo is great though!

6/10

Great song, 10/10, if only for the lyrics.

Geddy as the OG

• Like 2

2. Best I Can

6/10

Geddy as the OG

Maybe it's just the day? I also really love Anthem. Always falls a little flat with me!

2. Best I Can

6/10

Geddy as the OG

Maybe it's just the day? I also really love Anthem. Always falls a little flat with me!

Anthem gets a 10/10 from me every day as well. Love pretty much the whole album. Wonderful energy. Just not so sure Neil was being entirely truthful with the lyrics to Making Memories, being new to the band and all, he probably didn't feel comfortable yet whining about touring.

• Like 1

2. Best I Can

6/10

It was a leftover from the first album so I think you have to hear it on those terms. Same for In the End. Gives an interesting peek into how the debut may have sounded with Peart on it.

• Like 1

6. Making Memories

The acoustic intro sounds fabulous to my ears. I have always really loved this song! It's not by any means the best song on the album, but it has that wonderful seventies feel too it. A positive little song and they never released another song quite like this one. Alex really shines again here.

9/10

I think it's the only song featuring Alex on slide guitar.

• Like 1

2. Best I Can

6/10

It was a leftover from the first album so I think you have to hear it on those terms. Same for In the End. Gives an interesting peek into how the debut may have sounded with Peart on it.

Interesting! In The End is one of my favourite early Rush songs. Had it been included as a ninth track on the debut, the album would have gone up a notch for me.

• Like 1

6. Making Memories

9/10

Interesting!

I like this song a lot.

• Like 1

6. Making Memories

9/10

Interesting!

I like this song a lot.

Yea it's a hidden gem.

7. Rivendell

This song gets a lot of negativity from fans. But I like the softness of this song, it shows a young band brave enough to try new ideas. Of course I am not saying every one should love Rivendell, but the best parts of Rush to me are often when they write songs with different movements. Look at the softer parts of 2112, Hemispheres etc. These songs do have moments that have, it must be said, more emotional weight and musical ambition than Rivendell. But they really do owe a little something to the Fly By Night deep cut. They are to be heard here testing the waters with both their ambition and perhaps even the limits of their own, rather new fans. I am glad they did, because it shows another side to their sound, one they would improve upon massively with future releases.

The lyrics are fine. I love fantasy and to see Rush and Tolkien together is lovely. Shame we never got Rush's take on The Battle Of Helm's Deep, but this will do.

6/10

I like Rivendell. It's too bad IMO that they put the line about even songs but I enjoy the atmosphere the song creates and the melody. I'd give it a solid 8.

7. Rivendell

6/10

I like Rivendell. It's too bad IMO that they put the line about even songs but I enjoy the atmosphere the song creates and the melody. I'd give it a solid 8.

I'd rather listen to this song over anything off T4E at this point!

• Like 1

7. Rivendell

6/10

I'd rather listen to this song over anything off T4E at this point!

I'd agree, with the exception of Driven.

Great album. I sometimes go to Best I Can and Making Memories, some of the best deep cuts out there.

Rivendell - I think that's Geddy's songwriting and performance on the nylon string guitar, isn't it?

• Like 2

Great album. I sometimes go to Best I Can and Making Memories, some of the best deep cuts out there.

Rivendell - I think that's Geddy's songwriting and performance on the nylon string guitar, isn't it?

Maybe I should play Best I Can again...

Give it a try. Don't let good times pass you by.

• Like 1

Give it a try. Don't let good times pass you by.

Ok! It's odd I don't remember ever rating that song so low. But I was, as I always do, really loving Anthem.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Rush marathon!

• Like 2