Top Five Albums Of Each Year 2000-2009: 2007

Segue Myles

When I started looking at 2007, I imagined this would be a tough year. OH MY GOD SO MANY ALBUMS I TRULY LOVE!!!

Keeping Thrice, Jimmy Eat World, Alter Bridge, HIM and Tarja out was surprising. But my top five was easy.

1. Nightwish- Dark Passion Play

2. Within Temptation- The Heart Of Everything

3. Bruce Springsteen- Magic

4. Machine Head- The Blackening

5. Sonata Arctica- Unia

And in VERY close sixth place:

6. Paradise Lost- In Requiem

Idlewild- Make Another World

Type O Negative- Dead Again

Rush- Snakes And Arrows

Biffy Clyro- Puzzle

Symphony X- Paradise Lost

Behemoth- The Apostasy

Bring Me The Horizon- Count Your Blessings

Epica- The Divine Conspiracy

HIM- Venus Doom

Alter Bridge- Blackbird

Jimmy Eat World- Chase This Light

Thrice- The Alchemy Index: Volumes I & II—Fire & Water

Tarja Turunen- My Winter Storm

Edited by Segue Myles

Baroness - Red Album

Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying

Between the Buried and Me - Colors

Witchcraft - The Alchemist

I actually want to listen to all these albums!

I like Baroness. But not enough to put this on my list (several bands from 2007 I enjoy but didn't think the albums were good enough).

I know I need to revisit Baroness though. My tastes have evolved more into tbi s style again the last year.

I want to explore modern thrash as well!

• Like 1

1. Infinity On High - Fall Out Boy

2. Riot! - Paramore

3. In_Rainbows - Radiohead

4. Snakes & Arrows - Rush

Didn't see a five on wikipedia. Did see a number of albums I've not heard but bet I would like though.

• Like 1

2. Riot! - Paramore

Didn't see a five on wikipedia. Did see a number of albums I've not heard but bet I would like though.

Which ones? I think you'd really like Funeral For A Friend- Tales Don't Tell Themselves. For three albums back in the 2000s they threatened Muse for being the most popular British band. Then they sort of stumbled after this magnificent album failed to please the fans, who were at large typical of many rock fans who hate it when there favourite underground band goes mainstream.

I am still so grateful My Chemical Romance never suffered that...

Anyway, as sad as it was for Funeral For A Friend, Biffy Clyro came along in 2007 and bucked the same trend by releasing the absolutely massive Puzzle.

Both bands are affiliated with emo, but deserve to be recognised as great rock bands.

My lists for this decade seriously lack a lot of Funeral For A Friend. Put that down to me being silly.

I'm not sure how big either band ever got in the USA, but Funeral For A Friend and Biffy Clyro are the only two bands who really impacted both the album and singles charts, who started on the underground scene and stayed well respected by the rock press.

Funeral For A Friend deserved better than they got, but after their fourth album, the underrated Memory And Humanity, the band did lose a lot of creative fire.

2. Riot! - Paramore

Which ones? I think you'd really like Funeral For A Friend- Tales Don't Tell Themselves. For three albums back in the 2000s they threatened Muse for being the most popular British band. Then they sort of stumbled after this magnificent album failed to please the fans, who were at large typical of many rock fans who hate it when there favourite underground band goes mainstream.

Anyway, as sad as it was for Funeral For A Friend, Biffy Clyro came along in 2007 and bucked the same trend by releasing the absolutely massive Puzzle.

Both bands are affiliated with emo, but deserve to be recognised as great rock bands.

My lists for this decade seriously lack a lot of Funeral For A Friend. Put that down to me being silly.

I'm not sure how big either band ever got in the USA, but Funeral For A Friend and Biffy Clyro are the only two bands who really impacted both the album and singles charts, who started on the underground scene and stayed well respected by the rock press.

Funeral For A Friend deserved better than they got, but after their fourth album, the underrated Memory And Humanity, the band did lose a lot of creative fire.

Will check those two out. Was also interested in the Alter Bridge album I saw there (I remember loving the title track, Blackbird). Kanye's got an album I should hear from 2007. And there were definitely a number of others I just can't recall at the very moment.

2. Riot! - Paramore

Will check those two out. Was also interested in the Alter Bridge album I saw there (I remember loving the title track, Blackbird). Kanye's got an album I should hear from 2007. And there were definitely a number of others I just can't recall at the very moment.

Blackbird is a terrific introduction to Alter Bridge. Not my favourite at all, but it is the fan favourite, and I think also their most critically acclaimed. Trouble is I really don't rate the second half very high. But go for it!

Kanye is great. Same as Eminem. But hip hop rarely stays with me.

• Like 1

Baroness - Red Album

Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying

Between the Buried and Me - Colors

Witchcraft - The Alchemist

I actually want to listen to all these albums!

I like Baroness. But not enough to put this on my list (several bands from 2007 I enjoy but didn't think the albums were good enough).

I know I need to revisit Baroness though. My tastes have evolved more into tbi s style again the last year.

I want to explore modern thrash as well!

I love Baroness, but I'd actually rank Red at the bottom of their discography. Still good enough to be my favorite of 2007 though!

Skeletonwitch...I love everything they've done. I definitely prefer the original vocalist here though. The MW album...it sounds like all of their other albums, but they're fun and I like what they do. Bonus points for being local guys.

The Witchcraft album is cool. I think their next album Legend is way better and probably my favorite album that any of those retro metal bands released, but this one is good too.

Looking at my list I think BTBAM is the only band who peaked with their 2007 album. This thing is wacky.

QpMyjzm.jpg

At the time it was a sonic triumph for fans, post-VT.

A bit of editing and it could have been a much stronger contender too. I really do enjoy the first five/six songs without any reservations. Second half is padded and the themes are pompous. I don't despise the lyrical themes, but their is no subtlety and a painful lack of an adventurous spirit which leaves me feeling very empty once it is over.

But for all its flaws, it has a lot of good to great moments.

• Like 2

QpMyjzm.jpg

At the time it was a sonic triumph for fans, post-VT.

Absolutely. VT always causes my favourite headache when I try to listen to the original mix on headphones. Feels like a visit at the dentist. S&A in comparison feels like visiting a spa. :smoke: It's not a perfect Rush album but overall it gives me a good vibe when I'm listening to it. Since Rush was a band (oh my god, there I said it) that was always ahead of their time, I believe that this album will have a future impact on some of the haters...