Bohemian Rhapsody

ShowMeDontTell

I'm actually seeing it tonight. Being a massive Queen fan since my early teens, I'm a little worried but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from my peers.

What say you all who've seen it?

At the very least, I know I'll enjoy the music. Will return to report tomorrow.

• Like 1

I can't see it until Nov. 29th....

Why oh why must I wait so long? Don't anyone dare spoil anything for me!

• Like 1

Freddy dies.

Oops!

• Like 2

Freddy dies.

Oops!

:16ton:
  • Like 1

Freddy dies.

Oops!

I'm sure there will be people going to see this movie who have very little knowledge of Queen or maybe none at all and will be very surprised to learn that Freddy is dead.

No spoilers, but I was told there are some historical innacuracies in the movie to enhance some dramatic moments.

Apparently, there are a ton.

Don't surprise me none....Movie makers aren't into THE TRUTH.

EUhOtM6.gif

Freddy dies.

Oops!

I'm sure there will be people going to see this movie who have very little knowledge of Queen or maybe none at all and will be very surprised to learn that Freddy is dead.

Something you might learn if you see the movie is that his name is Freddie and not "Freddy"...

I saw this movie last week, and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen! I laughed, I cried and I learned new stuff about the band. Just a great movie! I will go see it again very soon for sure! Highly recommend it!!
  • Like 1

My friends said the film is a celebration of a great performer. Considering all the evidence we have that he was an abuser, of men and substances, I don't think the band would want to endorse reality.

My friends said the film is a celebration of a great performer. Considering all the evidence we have that he was an abuser, of men and substances, I don't think the band would want to endorse reality.

I’ve never heard of him being abusive towards his partners...honestly I don’t believe it either. Drugs and sex are another story.

I’ve never heard of him being abusive towards his partners...honestly I don’t believe it either. Drugs and sex are another story.

Even if you were given evidence I am sure you'd turn a blind eye.

Even if you were given evidence I am sure you'd turn a blind eye.

Pardon me for finding it unlikely that you’ve researched Freddie more than me. If you’ve got evidence I’m all ears.

https://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/10-beloved-celebs-whove-done-incredibly-awful-things/

Freddie Mercury is still regarded as one of the titans of classic rock, 24 years after his death. Though his music is probably as culturally relevant as Greensleeves to anybody younger than your dad, the very mention of his name is still capable of conjuring up an image of a prancing joker, as ready with a quip as he is with an operatic middle eight. However, behind the grin lay a mean-spirited individual indeed.

Queen were rocked by infighting after Freddie discovered that drummer Roger Taylor made as much from the B-side to Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm In Love With My Car, as Freddie did from Queen's most popular song. The group almost split up after Freddie threw a tantrum, the quartet finally agreeing to split future royalties four ways. Another sign of Freddie's callous side was his treatment of the rent boys he insisted on having backstage for 'recreational purposes' between the need of a set and the encore.

On one infamous occasion, Freddie enjoyed himself so vigorously that the unfortunate gigolo suffered a prolapsed rectum. Undeterred and, frankly, not giving a tiny rats a** about the health of his poor partner, Mercury bellowed at his roadies, "This one's broken! Find me another". Highly unpleasant behaviour.

I have my own personal history with beloved men in the media, and in no way do I think these are rumours. I have stories of my own about the least likely people that would make your skin crawl.

I am sure there is plenty to hide, which explains why this movie is so sickly sweet that the direction it went in was enough to lose the project it's original star.

https://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/10-beloved-celebs-whove-done-incredibly-awful-things/

Freddie Mercury is still regarded as one of the titans of classic rock, 24 years after his death. Though his music is probably as culturally relevant as Greensleeves to anybody younger than your dad, the very mention of his name is still capable of conjuring up an image of a prancing joker, as ready with a quip as he is with an operatic middle eight. However, behind the grin lay a mean-spirited individual indeed.

Queen were rocked by infighting after Freddie discovered that drummer Roger Taylor made as much from the B-side to Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm In Love With My Car, as Freddie did from Queen's most popular song. The group almost split up after Freddie threw a tantrum, the quartet finally agreeing to split future royalties four ways. Another sign of Freddie's callous side was his treatment of the rent boys he insisted on having backstage for 'recreational purposes' between the need of a set and the encore.

On one infamous occasion, Freddie enjoyed himself so vigorously that the unfortunate gigolo suffered a prolapsed rectum. Undeterred and, frankly, not giving a tiny rats a** about the health of his poor partner, Mercury bellowed at his roadies, "This one's broken! Find me another". Highly unpleasant behaviour.

I have my own personal history with beloved men in the media, and in no way do I think these are rumours. I have stories of my own about the least likely people that would make your skin crawl.

I am sure there is plenty to hide, which explains why this movie is so sickly sweet that the direction it went in was enough to lose the project it's original star.

I hadn’t read that before, but I’m actually not surprised. I thought you were talking about abuse towards his serious partners, which is very unlike him. His many sexual partners though I am aware were never more than sex partners to him. Fame and money went to his head in the late 70s and early 80s. Brian’s alluded to things like this as the reason he never really liked Freddie’s “Don’t Stop Me Now,” which was a kind of anthem for the wild and fast and hedonistic lifestyle he threw himself into at the time. It’s deplorable behavior. I do agree. Fred wouldn’t come out on the other side of that phase unscathed either, considering all signs point to him picking up HIV around that time period. I think learning he was sick changed him though. From what I’ve heard, he didn’t continue that part of his life after 1985 or so. I think he really took a step back and revaluated what he was doing at that point. Fred could be an awful guy to be around at that stage of his life, and I don’t pretend it’s not sickening treatment of another human being, but he did eventually change. I have to thank him for changing.

And about the infighting, that comes with the territory in Queen. Roger originally locked himself in a closet and wouldn’t come out until Freddie agreed to let I’m In Love With My Car be the B-side to Bohemian Rhapsody. In fact the whole band thought it was a joke of a song at first, while Roger was dead serious about it. You had to fight for your ideas to get on the record in Queen, but they never broke up for a reason.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

I saw this movie last week, and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen! I laughed, I cried and I learned new stuff about the band. Just a great movie! I will go see it again very soon for sure! Highly recommend it!!

Ditto. Saw it yesterday and LOVED it. If you have the Live Aid DVD (I do), re-watch the Queen performance.

Edited by driventotheedge

Freddy dies.

Oops!

Something you might learn if you see the movie is that his name is Freddie and not "Freddy"...

:LOL:

awesome

• Like 1

No spoilers, but I was told there are some historical innacuracies in the movie to enhance some dramatic moments.

From what I've read, fans of the band like it a lot but many people who get paid to review movies, don't like it much at all. But they aren't going to enjoy the show, they're being more critical because that's their job.

• Like 1

It's good fun, but the chronology of some key events drove me batty.

Those Freddie rumours have been going around for years, and are now clickbait fodder. But, they could be true, he was no angel. I've read every Freddie bio, from hagiographies to salacious muck-rakers, & the distressing story above never got printed.

Regarding the 4-way split royalties-wise, this only happened after Freddie got sick, the time for squabbling was over. The Miracle was the first album where they shared songwriting royalties equally, One Vision & Stone Cold Crazy aside. Prior to this, whoever brought the bare demo or melody/lyric to the group got the full credit.

The homophobic 80s British tabloid press were always digging for dirt when it came to Freddie, Elton, Boy George, Holly Johnson et al, they printed outright lies about all of them regularly. And quite a few of these fables are now taken as fact.

The one man who could have(because of the alleged timeline, he could have been there) exposed this was Paul Prenter(Freddie's assistant & one-time lover), he took the money & sang like a canary in a 1987 interview with The Sun, a year after he was fired from the Queen organisation. He was VERY bitter, if he had this story in his armoury, he would have used it.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw
  • Like 4

Freddy dies.

Oops!

Aw Zumbi i've missed your sass over minute details......rock on dude, lol

Anyway.....i'm seeing it tuesday. not expecting accuracy. just a nice time.

Mick

• Like 2

It's good fun, but the chronology of some key events drove me batty.

Those Freddie rumours have been going around for years, and are now clickbait fodder. But, they could be true, he was no angel. I've read every Freddie bio, from hagiographies to salacious muck-rakers, & the distressing story above never got printed.

Regarding the 4-way split royalties-wise, this only happened after Freddie got sick, the time for squabbling was over. The Miracle was the first album where they shared songwriting royalties equally, One Vision & Stone Cold Crazy aside. Prior to this, whoever brought the bare demo or melody/lyric to the group got the full credit.

The homophobic 80s British tabloid press were always digging for dirt when it came to Freddie, Elton, Boy George, Holly Johnson et al, they printed outright lies about all of them regularly. And quite a few of these fables are now taken as fact.

The one man who could have(because of the alleged timeline, he could have been there) exposed this was Paul Prenter(Freddie's assistant & one-time lover), he took the money & sang like a canary in a 1987 interview with The Sun, a year after he was fired from the Queen organisation. He was VERY bitter, if he had this story in his armoury, he would have used it.

That’s essentially how I’ve viewed it as well. Freddie had a dark side for sure, but what exactly that entailed I’m not sure will ever be confirmed. Good point about Paul Prenter as well. Fred definitely scored a few enemies who would have taken every ounce of dirt they had on him to the press that they could.

Freddy dies.

Oops!

Aw Zumbi i've missed your sass over minute details......rock on dude, lol

Anyway.....i'm seeing it tuesday. not expecting accuracy. just a nice time.

Mick

Oh it’s a fun time finicking over Fred’s name. “Uh pardon me, but his real name was Farrokh Bulsara.” :P

• Like 2