Shinedown Cover of Simple Man

sullysue

So many bands are covering songs instead of creating original music. 99.9% have been horrible. Sound of Silence should NEVER have been covered. Period. And, certainly not by Disturbed. WHO the hell thought Zombie should be sung by anyone other than Dolores O'Riodran? Every single time I hear Aerosmith's version of Come Together I immediately turn it off. Blasphemy. But...If you're going to cover an already amazing song, this is how you do it...

• Like 2

You're about a decade or so late with posting this cover but it's still a pretty good one.

Not sure what's your issue with the Disturbed cover for Sound Of Silence. That was as proper of a cover that anyone could have done.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

God, I detest Shinedown......saw them supporting Iron maiden and they were pretty rank indeed, and I hate the way they add these wimpy keys in the background....I mean, Boom-lay, Boom lay, Boom....must have taken them all of seconds to write that.

Saying that, I think the original is a piece of crap too, so that doesn't help. A covers band I was in used to play it, and eventually I couldn't stand it anymore, so gave them the ultimatum it was me or the song...luckily for me, they chose to bin the song lol.

Sound Of Silence by Disturbed is a masterpiece of a cover.

Simple Man by Shinedown? Really not.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My favourite cover of all time is Lacuna Coil's rendition of Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode.

They also do a beautiful cover of Madonna's Live To Tell.

You're about a decade or so late with posting this cover but it's still a pretty good one.

Not sure what's your issue with the Disturbed cover for Sound Of Silence. That was as proper of a cover that anyone could have done.

A decade late? Is there a time limit on when a song can be brought up for discussion? Half of the posts on this board are about songs that are 30-40 years old. (This reply sounds snarkier than I intended, but I'm just commenting on the decade thing.)

I think that Disturbed cover is awful. Really bad. That song didn't need a remake, and it certainly didn't need what Disturbed did to it. Hell, even Paul Simon back in the day hated that the producers added drums and electric instruments to their original acoustic mix. Ironically, that remix and re-release got the song on the charts, but Simon still hated it.

The singer from Shinedown did a nice job with Simple Man. I don't think you need to be a fan of the band, or even the song, to appreciate that. And I like that they didn't feel the need to try and make it a heavy cover, instead keeping it acoustic and simple, man.

I'm off to listen to Tool's cover of No Quarter.

• Like 1

A decade late? Is there a time limit on when a song can be brought up for discussion? Half of the posts on this board are about songs that are 30-40 years old. (This reply sounds snarkier than I intended, but I'm just commenting on the decade thing.)

I think that Disturbed cover is awful. Really bad. That song didn't need a remake, and it certainly didn't need what Disturbed did to it. Hell, even Paul Simon back in the day hated that the producers added drums and electric instruments to their original acoustic mix. Ironically, that remix and re-release got the song on the charts, but Simon still hated it.

The singer from Shinedown did a nice job with Simple Man. I don't think you need to be a fan of the band, or even the song, to appreciate that. And I like that they didn't feel the need to try and make it a heavy cover, instead keeping it acoustic and simple, man.

I actually love Shinedown more than Disturbed. But Simple Man is, to be fair, a song I don't care for much.

As for Disturbed, the cover works tremendously for me but that is not a universal feeling.

But considering one of my favourite covers was bashed in the same post that praised another, I don't think any "snarkiness" was undeserved. The cover could have been introduced without putting down another completely unrelated song.

I actually love Shinedown more than Disturbed. But Simple Man is, to be fair, a song I don't care for much.

As for Disturbed, the cover works tremendously for me but that is not a universal feeling.

But considering one of my favourite covers was bashed in the same post that praised another, I don't think any "snarkiness" was undeserved. The cover could have been introduced without putting down another completely unrelated song.

She was mentioning those other songs for comparison's sake. Doing covers of beloved songs is often a risky undertaking, and most bands who decided to do it should have decided against it. Like, why did Hall and Oates cover the Righteous Brothers' You Lost That Lovin' Feeling? They did a good job, but they made it sound exactly like the original. What was the point of remaking it? Then you have Lenny Kravitz butchering The Guess Who's American Woman. Again, these other songs are being brought up to put Shinedown's cover in context -- the OP felt it was a nice treatment of the original, unlike most other covers.

• Like 1

I think that Disturbed cover is awful. Really bad. That song didn't need a remake, and it certainly didn't need what Disturbed did to it.

Really?......I'm surprised at that to be honest....don't get me wrong it is most certainly not as good as the original, which has a magical, wistful quality which is very hard to achieve.

However, I think their cover works very well, simply because they didn't try to recreate the original and instead put their own "epic" spin on it.

• Like 1

I think that Disturbed cover is awful. Really bad. That song didn't need a remake, and it certainly didn't need what Disturbed did to it.

Really?......I'm surprised at that to be honest....don't get me wrong it is most certainly not as good as the original, which has a magical, wistful quality which is very hard to achieve.

However, I think their cover works very well, simply because they didn't try to recreate the original and instead put their own "epic" spin on it.

I always like when a band does their own spin on a cover song. No point in trying to sound just like the original (see the aforementioned Hall and Oates cover). Tool's No Quarter is my favorite example of this -- they did justice to Led Zep's original but it most definitely sounds like a Tool song. Yes, Disturbed put their own spin on Sounds of Silence, but I hated their spin. It started out fine, kind of eerie sounding, but then the vocals start and I'm reaching for the mute button. For me, it was the wrong way to approach that song.

No, there's no time limit on posting about songs. I just tend to stay in a more current, what's happening now mindset with music. So that's where my comment was coming from. I'm not a fan of Simon and Garfunkle but I do like the original Sound Of Silence. Not being a fan is probably why I don't see the problem with what Disturbed did with it. Feels to me like they gave the song respect with their take on it. That's all I really want when listening to a cover.

• Like 1

I don't have with bands doing covers as long as it's as good or better than the original. But if they miss on it, expect a shitstorm to come their way.

I actually enjoy the Rush Feedback album because I only take for face value as they intended...just some covers of songs that influenced them at an early age. There's some fun tracks to to warm up on. They never tried to convince anyone that these were 'better' than the originals.

The only person that can cover Hendrix and do it better was SRV. He does Voodoo Child better than Jimi. There I said it.

• Like 1

disturbed sucks

Do play some obscure no budget metal band or Kate Bush and leave us be.

disturbed sucks

Do play some obscure no budget metal band or Kate Bush and leave us be.

But listening to obscure bands is better. Especially in metal. Don't you know that the less money they make and the fewer people they play in front of the better they are?

Right now there's a metal band playing at a bar that nobody is at. That makes them the greatest band ever lol.

• Like 1

disturbed was put together in a board room by cigar-chomping record execs who wanted to make more money off of stupid angsty white kids

I don't know about that. A song like Down With The Sickness doesn't sound corporate to my ears.

I just don't get into the nu-metal craze, even when that stuff was fresh and I was "supposed" to like it

That's why I hate that metal has so many labels. What is nu metal supposed to be anyways? Disturbed, Slipknot, System Of A Down all just sound like metal to me.

• Like 1