New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

Serious question...am I the only person who likes DT, but doesn't fully understand just how good Scenes From a Memory really is?

I mean, I enjoy the album...but have never been blown away by it, which I find odd since most people swear it is their best work.

Also, after checking the setlist, I am unsure if I will attend the upcoming show near here. I think I dropped the ball by not attending the last tour when they did Images & Words in full (my favourite DT record).

Scenes is a great album, but Images & Words is better.

It certainly is for me. As is awake, fii and the first lte.

In retrospect jordan joining the group resulted in the "saminess" that haunts them to this day.

T minus 9 days for me. Can't wait to see them once again! The videos I've seen of this tour are awesome...even Labrie is sounding great, and Mangini is kicking ass on Scenes.

In retrospect jordan joining the group resulted in the "saminess" that haunts them to this day.

Interesting that I hadn't considered this much. It would seem that most Rudess DT is where I started being less engaged with the band... :huh:

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Serious question...am I the only person who likes DT, but doesn't fully understand just how good Scenes From a Memory really is?

I mean, I enjoy the album...but have never been blown away by it, which I find odd since most people swear it is their best work.

Also, after checking the setlist, I am unsure if I will attend the upcoming show near here. I think I dropped the ball by not attending the last tour when they did Images & Words in full (my favourite DT record).

That album isn't even in my Top 5 (probably just below it though.) Still liking the new album, but the CD is a harsh listen. Going to try the instrumental CD this weekend.

Interesting that I hadn't considered this much. It would seem that most Rudess DT is where I started being less engaged with the band... :huh:

And in fairness to jordan, he is amazing.

Perhaps it was because DT had more competition for my attention. Back in the images and words days there was less proggy music that i was aware of.

By the jordan era i was checking other stuff.

Despite being a fan since I&W , sfam was the first your i saw. They were great but i grew to dislike labrie more after seeing him live.

I wish them well....

• Like 1

And in fairness to jordan, he is amazing.

Perhaps it was because DT had more competition for my attention. Back in the images and words days there was less proggy music that i was aware of.

By the jordan era i was checking other stuff.

Despite being a fan since I&W , sfam was the first your i saw. They were great but i grew to dislike labrie more after seeing him live.

I wish them well....

Huh. You seem to be reading my mind. :P

• Like 1

I love the new album. A fantastic return to form for the band.

Everything simply fits and flows once you listen to it several times.

My top tracks:

Fall Into The Light

Barstool Warrior

Paralyzed

Room 137

S2N

Not a weak track to be frank. Harsh mastering job, I agree. But Mangini’s drums finally sound fantastic!!!!

Can’t wait till our St Petersburg Show this month!!! First time for my 14 year old son! He is so damn pumped.

His favorite songs are the entire Scenes From A Memory Pt2 and Nightmare to Remember and they are doing both. He has no idea. Going to let it be a massive surprise for him.

• Like 2

I love the new album. A fantastic return to form for the band.

Everything simply fits and flows once you listen to it several times.

My top tracks:

Fall Into The Light

Barstool Warrior

Paralyzed

Room 137

S2N

Not a weak track to be frank. Harsh mastering job, I agree. But Mangini’s drums finally sound fantastic!!!!

Can’t wait till our St Petersburg Show this month!!! First time for my 14 year old son! He is so damn pumped.

His favorite songs are the entire Scenes From A Memory Pt2 and Nightmare to Remember and they are doing both. He has no idea. Going to let it be a massive surprise for him.

Hated the last album so much. Tried it again recently and hated it more than I remembered.

Distance Over Time? One of my favourite albums of the last few years!

Yea no Distance really fell off for me sadly. not that it's awful.....not at all.

just kinda i dunno.......an album is the best way i can put it.

like.......of ALL the albums out there......this is one.

Mick

• Like 1

Yea no Distance really fell off for me sadly. not that it's awful.....not at all.

Mick

I get ya. The album is not a reinvention but i am really into it. They have so many albums they arent going to release an all time favourite DT album every time! Even Rush didnt!

• Like 1

Mick

I get ya. The album is not a reinvention but i am really into it. They have so many albums they arent going to release an all time favourite DT album every time! Even Rush didnt!

but i will say. for this to come after TA is still cool.......i'm still glad that they turned the car around. cause they could have gone in such a garbage direction like full time.

Mick

Mick

but i will say. for this to come after TA is still cool.......i'm still glad that they turned the car around. cause they could have gone in such a garbage direction like full time.

Mick

Yeah I gotta say I don't disagree. I really love the album start to finish, but I don't feel that about several DT albums you love (and other bands for that matter).

• Like 1

Popped the DVD in my crappy Video set up a few times this week and even that sounds better than the CD to me.

Untethered Angel is still my least favorite track but the rest of it seems to be holding up.

Rod, are you going to tell us how the show was or what?

It was great, even though the first half had a few low points. I have no idea why they brought out a boring song like A Nightmare to remember, which takes 16 minutes off the set, when there are many other better songs that could be played. Scenes was amazing though, and Labrie was surprisingly consistent throughout.

• Like 1

It was great, even though the first half had a few low points. I have no idea why they brought out a boring song like A Nightmare to remember, which takes 16 minutes off the set, when there are many other better songs that could be played. Scenes was amazing though, and Labrie was surprisingly consistent throughout.

I like Nightmare but it's definitely an odd choice. Especially when they have a shorter first set. Who sings Portnoy's part?

I like Nightmare but it's definitely an odd choice. Especially when they have a shorter first set. Who sings Portnoy's part?

Labrie. And he didn't use growls. I liked this concert better than the Images, Words and Beyond one I saw in 2017.

Because there are many many fans who love that song. My son....that is his absolute favorite and this is his first show.....and he has no idea they are playing it (I will not let him see a setlist).

I love when fans sit and ask why waste 16 minutes....dude...it is not your setlist. It is everyone's setlist and the band did a great job making sure they hit a few areas.

• Like 1

Because there are many many fans who love that song. My son....that is his absolute favorite and this is his first show.....and he has no idea they are playing it (I will not let him see a setlist).

I love when fans sit and ask why waste 16 minutes....dude...it is not your setlist. It is everyone's setlist and the band did a great job making sure they hit a few areas.

Liked because your son is going to have the same reaction I had at R40 when they played Cygnus X-1 and that’s one of the best feelings ever.

• Like 2

Liked because your son is going to have the same reaction I had at R40 when they played Cygnus X-1 and that’s one of the best feelings ever.

My son had the privilege of seeing Rush 4 times (and meeting Alex and Geddy). He knew my bucket list song was Jacobs Ladder. I did not see a set-list before I went to my first of 2 R40 shows (Tampa and Vegas) and when they started JL.....I literally was pouring out tears of joy and my son was high fiveing me and screaming. I look forward to sharing his "DT" moment with him this time around. I can't wait. We are exactly 2 weeks away from our show in St Petersburg FL.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I ask why waste that time because the first set is so short? Shouldn't they want to make the best of the short time and play two songs there instead of just one long tune? Maybe I've been spoiled seeing Rush so many times. But they always made the most of their set time. I just don't see that here with the first half of this Dream Theater set.

• Like 1

I ask why waste that time because the first set is so short? Shouldn't they want to make the best of the short time and play two songs there instead of just one long tune? Maybe I've been spoiled seeing Rush so many times. But they always made the most of their set time. I just don't see that here with the first half of this Dream Theater set.

I don't disagree that the first set is a little odd in terms of amount of songs.....but they are playing a bunch of long tunes in set one (Untethered Angel, In The Presence of Enemies PT1, Pale Blue Dot) and one epic in Nightmare To Remember. That's what the band decided on. Time wise...it is 45-50 minutes? Then you have the entire Scenes album and the encore.

2 hours and 10 minutes let's call it. Rush played typically 2 hours and 20 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes. So yeah we were spoiled by Rush. I agree...Rush were outstanding at crafting set lists that really maximized their time.

But over two hours of DT is freaking intense. And their stuff is as or even more physically demanding than Rush.

They simply decided to put in a really long tune in set one and some 7-8 minute romps.

The show is going to be amazing regardless....can't wait.

If anything...I a little peeved I will not see Fall Into The Light and Paralyzed in the same set....why not? That is truly odd IMO. Paralyzed is half the time as Fall Into The Light.....they could have played both.

I don't disagree that the first set is a little odd in terms of amount of songs.....but they are playing a bunch of long tunes in set one (Untethered Angel, In The Presence of Enemies PT1, Pale Blue Dot) and one epic in Nightmare To Remember. That's what the band decided on. Time wise...it is 45-50 minutes? Then you have the entire Scenes album and the encore.

2 hours and 10 minutes let's call it. Rush played typically 2 hours and 20 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes. So yeah we were spoiled by Rush. I agree...Rush were outstanding at crafting set lists that really maximized their time.

But over two hours of DT is freaking intense. And their stuff is as or even more physically demanding than Rush.

They simply decided to put in a really long tune in set one and some 7-8 minute romps.

If anything...I a little peeved I will not see Fall Into The Light and Paralyzed in the same set....why not? That is truly odd IMO. Paralyzed is half the time as Fall Into The Light.....they could have played both.

But they chose not to. It is not your setlist. It is everyone's setlist and the band did a great job making sure they hit a few areas.

• Like 1

That was so predictable man. Lmao
  • Like 1

But they chose not to. It is not your setlist. It is everyone's setlist and the band did a great job making sure they hit a few areas.

Should of included dude!

Imo that tune is a dud

I think its hard to argue that the set lists have got better since portnoy left.