New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

Listened to the new song a couple of times and think it's ok. I figured maybe it will sound better in the context of the album which happens a lot with numerous bands. Then I look up the track listing and see this song opens the album? Oh dear. This might be the worst opening track they've done. I initially liked The Gift Of Music better. This song sounds like a middle of the album song not the lead track.

Having said all that, the next time I hear it I'll probably fall in love with it and cancel out all that I just said lol.

• Like 3

Listened to the new song a couple of times and think it's ok. I figured maybe it will sound better in the context of the album which happens a lot with numerous bands. Then I look up the track listing and see this song opens the album? Oh dear. This might be the worst opening track they've done. I initially liked The Gift Of Music better. This song sounds like a middle of the album song not the lead track.

Having said all that, the next time I hear it I'll probably fall in love with it and cancel out all that I just said lol.

i dislike every single any band puts out, lol

i'll wait

Mick

• Like 2

It's a Dream Theatre album, therefore it will be shite......

Oh very likely...But maybe this album will restore them to a steadier level!

You got into them before they released The Astonishing. You really couldn't have picked a worse time to discover them. I've been a huge fan since Images and Words and The Astonishing killed about 90 percent of my enthusiasm for the band. That's how bad that whole endeavor was for me.

Oh gosh I think this is what happened to me, very early in my DT experience. Maybe if I do decide to do a marathon in future, we could make it a small group conversation and revisit them together! Me, you, EP and Mick!

If I can find the time I’d be down. So much I haven’t heard from them (looking at you Scenes).

I think Priest, Sabbath and Queen are more enticing to be honest. (I may mix the marathons up and do each band chronologically but with well thought out breaks in between. Like Rush, do the marathons in batches and swap between bands to keep it fresh).

Plenty of Priest and Sabbath I haven’t heard either. Vol. 4, Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die, Point Of Entry, Defenders Of The Faith, Turbo, Painkiller...

Vol. 4 is an amazing Sabbath album. DotF is the second best Priest album. You haven't heard them? Why are you wasting time posting here! Let's go! On the hop! :)

• Like 2

It's a Dream Theatre album, therefore it will be shite......

Oh very likely...But maybe this album will restore them to a steadier level!

You got into them before they released The Astonishing. You really couldn't have picked a worse time to discover them. I've been a huge fan since Images and Words and The Astonishing killed about 90 percent of my enthusiasm for the band. That's how bad that whole endeavor was for me.

Oh gosh I think this is what happened to me, very early in my DT experience. Maybe if I do decide to do a marathon in future, we could make it a small group conversation and revisit them together! Me, you, EP and Mick!

If I can find the time I’d be down. So much I haven’t heard from them (looking at you Scenes).

I think Priest, Sabbath and Queen are more enticing to be honest. (I may mix the marathons up and do each band chronologically but with well thought out breaks in between. Like Rush, do the marathons in batches and swap between bands to keep it fresh).

Plenty of Priest and Sabbath I haven’t heard either. Vol. 4, Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die, Point Of Entry, Defenders Of The Faith, Turbo, Painkiller...

Vol. 4 is an amazing Sabbath album. DotF is the second best Priest album. You haven't heard them? Why are you wasting time posting here! Let's go! On the hop! :)

Vol 4, Defenders and Painkiller are must listens.

Technical Ecstasy, Point Of Entry and Turbo stay far away from. Especially those two Priest albums.

STAY FAR AWAY!

technical ecstasy and point of entry aren't pieces of shit or anything, just two of the most drastic drops in quality in rock history

Pretty much.

Point Of Entry did serve a purpose though. It helped Priest to learn what not to do on Screaming For Vengeance.

Don't plan on listening to it until I pop it into the CD player. Hoping it's not like Train Of Thought or Systematic Chaos and that the lyrics are not as bad as the last one.

Don't have a lot of expectations other than that.

Dream Theater needs to stop writing crap and doing Nostalgia Tours.

I really wanted them to play "Awake" all the way through.

Then "Falling Into Infinity."

I'm a whore.

I will still buy the new record. Always hoping for them to dazzle me again.

Shut that unending sewer of "knowledge" you call a mouth.

i don't understand if you no longer like a band.......don't follow.

Mick

Ohhhhh....damn. ;)

• Like 1

technical ecstasy and point of entry aren't pieces of shit or anything, just two of the most drastic drops in quality in rock history

Pretty much.

Point Of Entry did serve a purpose though. It helped Priest to learn what not to do on Screaming For Vengeance.

In prefer my Priest Proggy and Epic. Gimme Destiny, Sin and Stained.

• Like 1

Pretty much.

In prefer my Priest Proggy and Epic. Gimme Destiny, Sin and Stained.

those are the best records

• Like 1

I wonder how much they will play from Scenes From A Memory.

All of it. Start to finish

• Like 1

Tell me you don't think this guy made the song a gazillion times better by using Portnoy fills and technique throughout the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdYJE-jUd1c&feature=youtu.be

That was fun to watch.

A few things.

I don't know the song at all.

I don't know what the original version sounded like but its hard to imagine it being better in some way due to a different drummer.

Even at half volume James LaBries voice is annoying.

That's a pretty meh track. Especially for a track that's supposed to open the album. Even at their most formulaic, Dream Theater can at least have some shining moments at times. But this is bland and unexciting. Virtually nothing to get excited about for me beyond Mangini's drums finally sounding somewhat decent. That's one positive change, I guess. It only took them, what, four albums to figure that one out? I commend the band for continuing on, but their mediocre output is outnumbering their good output, and that's the sign of a band that isn't in the right place.

Serviceable melody for a brilliant workout with great (NOT OVERDONE) sound! Mangini shines, and JR is channeling Emerson on his solo. Major classic Metallica vibes at the midsection break too.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

It's better than the first single but still nothing too special. The intro is good and so is the last minute or so because they go back to the intro riff again.

I have no doubt in my mind I won't be playing this on release day...underwhelming.

It's sad because ADTOE and DT remain two absolutely stunning albums, this line-up fell flat far too soon.

• Like 2