New albums without touring

PermanentMovingSignals

If they were to make a new album, it would be just for the joy of making new music. It would not be to make money, as album sales are no longer a viable source of revenue. Touring makes the Big Money in today’s market.
  • Like 3

If they were to make a new album, it would be just for the joy of making new music. It would not be to make money, as album sales are no longer a viable source of revenue. Touring makes the Big Money in today’s market.

Yeah, that's the sad thing now.....to be brutally honest I just don't think they have any "rocket sauce" left, and another quality album is simply not in them.

But then I've been saying that since 1987, so what do I know?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

To Neil 'The Garden' is what sums up his desire to stop touring and recording.

He's admitted that nothing can top his playing ability like on Clockwork Angels.

The book version is Neil's journey in a nutshell.

If you listen to the song 'Fly By Night', that's his musical journey starting out as a recording and touring musician. 'The Garden' is the epilogue and/or end to it all. That's just my two cents.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 4

Wouldnt it be great though, if these older guys had an urge to come back and show the kids once again what its all about, knocking it out the park with another game-changing album as with Signals, VT or Counterparts

The guys couldnt have just switched off, Neil probably has an entire album of lyrics ready and Al must have a whole new sound lined up

Just sayin would be great thats all :)

I would think any future record would be initiated by Alex and Geddy, and without Neil, I highly doubt they'd call it "Rush"

That said, I am not a fan of either Victor or My Favorite Headache, and between those two albums and the fumes Rush was running on, I just don;t know if Geddy and Alex have the songwriting chops left to make a good album - unless they were to team up with some, for example, like Jon Anderson who IMHO put out a great album with Roine Stolt a couple of years ago ..

I think Ged and Alex would either need to get some young enthusiastic blood in the band in terms of a drummer - not some retread - or they would benefit by collaborating with a creative singer - someone who takes recording a bit more serious than what Victor was and more interesting than the lame recycled riffs on MFH

When Neil says he's retired I believe he's retired. And it's hard to go out on a higher note than "The Garden."

I agree but does a artist ever really retire?

The idea of art as expression vs marketing campaign, does it die? I find it hard to believe that neil doesn't at time feel the urge to rip and write..

I think they are done but.... i can hope for a single or two (hopefully for charity)

He's admitted that nothing can top his playing ability like on Clockwork Angels.

If you listen to the song 'Fly By Night', that's his musical journey starting out as a recording and touring musician. 'The Garden' is the epilogue and/or end to it all. That's just my two cents.

Interesting take.

Interesting take.

I always felt Clockwork Angels had an autobiographical undercurrent to it, and that The Garden was a goodbye. After reading Far and Wide, there's no question.

No albums without a tour because Neil's retired, but even if not, at this stage of their career they'd never do it because it's so much work with basically no gain and they have nothing to prove.

• Like 1

Sometimes you leave a place or something, with all intention never to return, and find yourself later on with an urge to go back. Yes The Garden was the perfect ending, but it doesnt have to be final.

Wouldnt surprise me if most of the elements necessary for new Rush material have developed organically over the last few years and just need throwing together.

If physically incapable then obvs question is moot of course

• Like 2

Sometimes you leave a place or something, with all intention never to return, and find yourself later on with an urge to go back. Yes The Garden was the perfect ending, but it doesnt have to be final.

Wouldnt surprise me if most of the elements necessary for new Rush material have developed organically over the last few years and just need throwing together.

If physically incapable then obvs question is moot of course

Agreed. But I just don't see it. Neil seems to be kind of guy that sticks to his decisions. Could they do it? I'm sure - but is it really worth it to them? (For what it's worth, Neil's motorcycling lifestyle is physically demanding, but I don't know if he'd do it any other way.)

Interesting take.

I think that best i can may be a better example of them starting out then fly by night.

Making memories also touches on that subject.

• Like 1

Interesting take.

I think that best i can may be a better example of them starting out then fly by night.

Neil didn't write the lyrics to 'Best I Can'. Geddy did.

Making Memories to me is the second chapter which the first begins with Fly By Night.

• Like 1

Interesting take.

Neil didn't write the lyrics to 'Best I Can'. Geddy did.

Making Memories to me is the second chapter which the first begins with Fly By Night.

Forgot about that. D'oh.

Love that record. My first and near fave circa mid 70s on 8 track.

Eta- i like your thought about making memories being a second chapter. Perhaps headlong flight is the chapter before the garden....

Edited by tangy