Aw, Rocky gotta have surgery!

pjbear05

So my 13 year old hound lab mix Rocky and I are on our usual Sunday morning visit to the dog park and nature trail when I see what appears to be a speck of dirt on his lower left eyelid. Except its not dirt, it's some sort of growth. Only the size of the head of a pin, but actually touching his eyeball. Today I call the Vets office, they say bring him in. Doc says yes, growth, touching the eye, and needs to be removed soon, before it gets really serious Doc also gives me an antibiotic ointment for the eye and a quote for cost of surgery & biopsy. Bring Rocky home and discuss with Karen. Wednesday morning bright and early the Rock gets dropped off for the surgery. Not sure but he should be home to bark at the trick or treaters in the pm if he's not too drugged up.
  • Like 4

Hope everything goes ok. I had a dog who needed surgery once because he blew out his knee. The vet said it was like the same thing that would happen to a pro athlete when they blow their knees out.

Pets rarely show us any signs when they're hurting or something is wrong with them. Good thing you caught the growth right away.

• Like 2

Good luck, Rocky! Hopefully he'll be up and around in no time.

My 10-year-old Shepherd mix had to have a couple of teeth out this summer. He was absolutely stoned when I picked him up. He was staring into the middle-distance and swaying back and forth. Took him a couple days to get his equilibrium back! :LOL:

(after paying the bill, I went home and got absolutely stoned. Solidarity.)

NYPOSTCARDS112918.jpg

• Like 3

the cone of shame

:LOL:

Discomfort to any creature is offensive to me! Goes against my grain...

wVTXdh3.gif

• Like 1

PJ,

All the best with Rocky's procedure.

It is a pretty noninvasive procedure, just in a delicate area.

I would recommend keeping Rocky in a bedroom or somewhere where he doesn't get overly excited with the trick or treaters at the door.

Also, be diligent about using the buster collar so he doesn't use his front paw to get at the incision area.

Be brave Rocky!

• Like 1

the cone of shame

:LOL:

I'm lucky in the fact that he isn't pawing at his eye or showing any other outward sign of irratation yet, but I'm sure that would start up if I would let this go any longer.

As a sidenote, one of the regulars at the park had his dog treated for a wound in his neck, and Charlie looked quite forlorn in his Elizabethan collar (two half circular flat pieces of material placed around the neck to discourage disturbing a wounded area). I expect I'll be gettin the stinkeye from Rocky in his cone of annoyance.

• Like 1

Rocky is back home. I can't even see the stitches, the growth was so small, and he is not pawing at or rubbing his eye, so for now I am dispensing for the prevention collar, with in reality is more a lampshade of annoyance. The Vet gave me antibiotic capsules to give him twice a day, told me keep using the ointment, and have him back he 16th to remove the stitches, for which he agan be sedated. All good so far, thanks everybody for the good wishes.
  • Like 3

Rocky is back home. I can't even see the stitches, the growth was so small, and he is not pawing at or rubbing his eye, so for now I am dispensing for the prevention collar, with in reality is more a lampshade of annoyance. The Vet gave me antibiotic capsules to give him twice a day, told me keep using the ointment, and have him back he 16th to remove the stitches, for which he agan be sedated. All good so far, thanks everybody for the good wishes.

I'm glad to hear he's doing well! Heal quickly, Rocky. :heart:

• Like 2

Final visit this morning for removal of stitches. Thought I was dropping him off in anticipation of his being sedated but the vet tech was back in less than 2 minutes with Rocky on his leash, good to go, and surprised he was making so quick an exit. He's snoozing after breakfast, I'm chilling with a cup of joe, and all is right with the world. :dweez:
  • Like 1