Andy Curran interview - Future Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary package mention

RushFanForever

"“For Farewell, we had some younger artists contribute versions of songs for that album, including Big Wreck, Billy Talent and Foo Fighters. But this time we wanted to do something different, so we dug deep into the archives over here at Anthem and were able to come up with a really cool live concert almost in its entirety from the Pink Pop Festival in 1979. In terms of a choice of rarities, this was a recording where if you searched diligently you might have been able to find bits and pieces of it online from people who had recorded it. We worked closely with the Pink Pop Festival and a radio station and television station in the Netherlands that broadcasted it and got the full show. Which was really cool, because Elvis Costello was on the bill, and so were The Police – a very eclectic lineup in 1979,” he explained."

"As a true fan of Rush, Curran takes the job of compiling and re-releasing material very seriously, because he knows first hand the loyalty of the band’s fans and the high standards to which Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart wish their legacy to be persevered. But it’s also boatloads of fun being able to metaphorically and even literally root through the attic of your favourite band, finding hidden and long lost gems.

“There are times when I am literally pinching myself because, first off, I can’t believe I am actually working with these guys, and secondly that they trust me with it. It’s like being part of their inner circle. And then it’s so amazing to find something that no one has ever seen or heard before. When you find something the is unique and special, it’s very cool. There is some visual stuff that I am going through right now, that they documented during the time when I was literally a kid buying tickets and going to see them. One of the reasons I bought a Rickenbacker was because of Geddy Lee. My God, its like being a kid in a candy store at times,” he said.

“My job is to make sure that we keep the integrity of what that band did and deliver first class stuff. Anything I find always has to go back to those guys for approval. Recently I found a recording from a hotel of something they did and Geddy looked at me after hearing it and said, ‘the world can never hear that.’”

There will not be a 40th anniversary Rush re-issue in 2019, with the next one come in 2020 with a Permanent Waves package, but Curran said his boss at Ole, Robert Ott, has lot of projects for him..."

Does he know the Pink Pop show has been "available" more more than 30 years?

My confidence level on these just took another major hit.

"“For Farewell, we had some younger artists contribute versions of songs for that album, including Big Wreck, Billy Talent and Foo Fighters. But this time we wanted to do something different, so we dug deep into the archives over here at Anthem and were able to come up with a really cool live concert almost in its entirety from the Pink Pop Festival in 1979. In terms of a choice of rarities, this was a recording where if you searched diligently you might have been able to find bits and pieces of it online from people who had recorded it. We worked closely with the Pink Pop Festival and a radio station and television station in the Netherlands that broadcasted it and got the full show. Which was really cool, because Elvis Costello was on the bill, and so were The Police – a very eclectic lineup in 1979,” he explained."

"As a true fan of Rush, Curran takes the job of compiling and re-releasing material very seriously, because he knows first hand the loyalty of the band’s fans and the high standards to which Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart wish their legacy to be persevered. But it’s also boatloads of fun being able to metaphorically and even literally root through the attic of your favourite band, finding hidden and long lost gems.

“There are times when I am literally pinching myself because, first off, I can’t believe I am actually working with these guys, and secondly that they trust me with it. It’s like being part of their inner circle. And then it’s so amazing to find something that no one has ever seen or heard before. When you find something the is unique and special, it’s very cool. There is some visual stuff that I am going through right now, that they documented during the time when I was literally a kid buying tickets and going to see them. One of the reasons I bought a Rickenbacker was because of Geddy Lee. My God, its like being a kid in a candy store at times,” he said.

“My job is to make sure that we keep the integrity of what that band did and deliver first class stuff. Anything I find always has to go back to those guys for approval. Recently I found a recording from a hotel of something they did and Geddy looked at me after hearing it and said, ‘the world can never hear that.’”

There will not be a 40th anniversary Rush re-issue in 2019, with the next one come in 2020 with a Permanent Waves package, but Curran said his boss at Ole, Robert Ott, has lot of projects for him..."

Does he know the Pink Pop show has been "available" more more than 30 years?

My confidence level on these just took another major hit.

Hopefully he wasn't referring to Sir Gawain...cuz there HAS to be a version of that somewhere.

• Like 1

Count me in as someone who is not convinced there HAS to be a version of Sir Gawain running around. That said, I AM curious as to what Geddy said the world can never hear, but I bet I won't find out.

Here's to hoping for a full Manchester '80 with Permanent Waves. Worst case scenario is an official release of the St. Louis '80 tapes. Ugh...

• Like 1

umm.. have we buried the lede here?

“For Farewell, we had some younger artists contribute versions of songs for that album, including Big Wreck, Billy Talent and Foo Fighters. But this time we wanted to do something different, so we dug deep into the archives over here at Anthem and were able to come up with a really cool live concert almost in its entirety from the Pink Pop Festival in 1979. In terms of a choice of rarities, this was a recording where if you searched diligently you might have been able to find bits and pieces of it online from people who had recorded it. We worked closely with the Pink Pop Festival and a radio station and television station in the Netherlands that broadcasted it and got the full show.

so either the listing is incorrect or Andy Curran is mistaken. Monkey Bars

Edited by taurus

From the book "Rush Chronology" .. take it for what it is worth

Permanent Waves:

"The Spirit Of Radio", "Freewill", "Uncle Tounouse" (Unreleased), and "Sir Gawain And The Green Knight" (Unreleased) were finished during July 1979, and demos were made of those songs, as well as unfinished versions of "Jacob's Ladder", and "Entre Nous". "Jacob's Ladder" and "Entre Nous" were finished during soundchecks in August 1979, while "Natural Science", and "Different Strings" were written in September 1979. The album was recorded from October-November 1979

Sir Gawain was finished and recorded as a demo by July 1979

Edited by Lucas

From the book "Rush Chronology" .. take it for what it is worth

Permanent Waves:

"The Spirit Of Radio", "Freewill", "Uncle Tounouse" (Unreleased), and "Sir Gawain And The Green Knight" (Unreleased) were finished during July 1979, and demos were made of those songs, as well as unfinished versions of "Jacob's Ladder", and "Entre Nous". "Jacob's Ladder" and "Entre Nous" were finished during soundchecks in August 1979, while "Natural Science", and "Different Strings" were written in September 1979. The album was recorded from October-November 1979

Sir Gawain was finished and recorded as a demo by July 1979

Geddy will block it from release because it's a demo.

Wait, here it is...

Nice try. The song is Composed by Heather Dale / Ben Deschamps. :)

Composed? More like ripped off. The lyrics have Peart's fingerprints all over them:

You craven men may fear dishonour

But you fear my vengeance more

That's fear that chills you

Like a wraith

And it's doubt you gird about your waist

(Chorus)

I hate religion x 4

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

But this time we wanted to do something different, so we dug deep into the archives over here at Anthem and were able to come up with a really cool live concert almost in its entirety from the Pink Pop Festival in 1979. In terms of a choice of rarities, this was a recording where if you searched diligently you might have been able to find bits and pieces of it online from people who had recorded it.

If there's a "Top 3 Most Available Rush Bootlegs", Pinkpop is surely on that list. One only has to go as far as YouTube for multiple copies of the full SBD recording. But whatever.....

I'm betting the "ultra-rare" St. Louis 1980 radio broadcast is what we're getting. But the "lot of projects" makes me feel a bit good. So long as they're Rush projects.....

• Like 1

But this time we wanted to do something different, so we dug deep into the archives over here at Anthem and were able to come up with a really cool live concert almost in its entirety from the Pink Pop Festival in 1979. In terms of a choice of rarities, this was a recording where if you searched diligently you might have been able to find bits and pieces of it online from people who had recorded it.

If there's a "Top 3 Most Available Rush Bootlegs", Pinkpop is surely on that list. One only has to go as far as YouTube for multiple copies of the full SBD recording. But whatever.....

I'm betting the "ultra-rare" St. Louis 1980 radio broadcast is what we're getting. But the "lot of projects" makes me feel a bit good. So long as they're Rush projects.....

Yep. That is what worries me. I am confident they have other PeW shows other than St. Louis to offer. I would prefer to see a complete one of those. I will believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

I still think that would be a bummer. I would prefer a full Manchester or Glasgow (especially since a complete recording is not readily available).

I wonder if that is where the ESL version of Bangkok comes from.

umm.. have we buried the lede here?

“For Farewell, we had some younger artists contribute versions of songs for that album, including Big Wreck, Billy Talent and Foo Fighters. But this time we wanted to do something different, so we dug deep into the archives over here at Anthem and were able to come up with a really cool live concert almost in its entirety from the Pink Pop Festival in 1979. In terms of a choice of rarities, this was a recording where if you searched diligently you might have been able to find bits and pieces of it online from people who had recorded it. We worked closely with the Pink Pop Festival and a radio station and television station in the Netherlands that broadcasted it and got the full show.

so either the listing is incorrect or Andy Curran is mistaken. Monkey Bars

La Villa Strangiato came from the TV broadcast while the Pink Pop bootleg came from the Netherlands radio broadcast.

There does need to be some deep digging in the Anthem Archives but this isn't really an example of that.

Even if he wanted to get involved in some shallow digging it seems like Geddy probably has him on a short leash anyway.