Colin MacDonald of The Trews discusses RUSH

RushFanForever

Frontman for the rock group The Trews visits ole's Red Arc Studio to discuss their epic cover of RUSH's 'Cinderella Man,' celebrating the 40th Anniversary release of 'A Farewell to Kings.'

Posted October 11, 2018 on the ole TV YouTube Channel below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqeMeW1R1wE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuK4NwmcQHQ

Yes Colin named the wrong RUSH album that he assumed 'Limelight' is on at the 0:58 mark.

Edited by RushFanForever

what a shit song to cover. there's only about 100 better songs.

didn't bother to listen to it.

:goodone:

eta: Altough there's no pressure to not screw it up. :P

Edited by goose

Amazing song, with a killer Lifeson lead. The Trews guy doesn't nail it. Not nearly as passionate, and not even close to the right tone. Edited by toymaker

Amazing song, with a killer Lifeson lead. The Trews guy doesn't nail it. Not nearly as passionate, and not even close to the right tone.

I don't think he was trying to nail it. I think he was trying to interpret it, and from that perspective I think he did a fine job.

Edited by JARG

what a shit song to cover. there's only about 100 better songs.

didn't bother to listen to it.

No sure it’s meant as a straight cover but I don’t know anything about this band.

Amazing song, with a killer Lifeson lead. The Trews guy doesn't nail it. Not nearly as passionate, and not even close to the right tone.

I don't think he was trying to nail it. I think he was trying to interpret it, and from that perspective I think he did a fine job.

I guess it's why I generally don't see the point of covers, that are practically the same approach except for the solo bit. Either do a significant re-interpretation of the song or save it for the pub gig.

• Like 1

Despite criticisms about the guitar solo on The Trews cover of 'Cinderella Man', the same could be said about Artok's cover of 'Subdivisions'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5GtXbL7Z5k

The guitar solo on that song isn't the same as what Alex does.

Another related example is guitarist Eric Johnson who performs on a lot of the Experience Hendrix Tribute tours.

I've never seen a guitarist like Johnson try to be so precise with nailing Jimi Hendrix's guitar parts and sounds live. This is despite Hendrix being an improvisational guitarist and coming up with sounds as happy accidents that are hard for others to recreate.

There are purists that hear cover versions of songs want them to sound like the originals. Then there's other's who welcome creativity and originality.

Edited by RushFanForever