The Garden, my achilles heel

feliciasnh

It got me again, on my way home from work yesterday. Darn near an ugly cry in the car!

This song has evolved so much over time for me in how it evokes emotion.

At first, I really enjoyed it as "that slower song" on Clockwork Angels. It was a nice end to the album, wrapped things up well in my mind. It was great to hear it live on the CA tour, and I enjoyed listening to it whenever it came up on random or on purpose.

Then came R40, and the realization that the tour had most likely signified an end to an era. Now, hearing The Garden, knowing that it is the last song, on the last album they'll ever produce. Oh wow.. I couldn't hear it without getting at least a bit choked up while singing along, and occasionally shedding a couple of tears.

The final blow was Time Stand Still. Such perfect placement and use of that song as the credits are rolling. Bonafide ugly cry. 10 tissues, at least, swollen eyes, the whole nine yards. Oyyyy I was glad that I was at least home alone at the time.

The Garden comes off of all of my playlists after this - it caught me offguard one morning on my way to work and reduced me to tears. I couldn't have that happening! I went about a year or so, then gradually attempted to listen to it again. Finally, just recently, I was able to make it all the way through. It was almost like the stages of grief, where at some point, you turn the corner and the memories that made you sad are now the happy ones that you enjoy reflecting on.

That was, until I decided to listen to the live Rush albums yesterday. Oh cool, I thought, here's a live version of The Garden - I've got this! Oh no I didn't!! The sound of Geddy singing that live, combined with the recent experience of meeting him at Grapes Under Pressure, somehow regressed my whole "grief" progression and dumped me right back at the sad point. Ah well.. I'll give it some time, because time heals all and I'll get to listen to it again some day.

Are there any songs (Rush, or otherwise) that have such a powerful emotional impact on you? Sad, happy or otherwise?

Thanks for hearing me out.. I knew that this would be a safe place to share this, with a group of people that would uniquely understand what I was talking about :)

• Like 13

It was one of my wife's favourite songs (she passed away two years ago . . . two years ago . . . still hard to believe.), so it kind of messes me up to hear it. But as a "last song" I think it's perfect.

And welcome to TRF, by the way!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 5

Felicia, since you're new to the forum, you have to give us some back story . . . how you got into the band, first album, first concert, favourite song on each album, top ten lists, favourite "era" of Rush (the correct answer is 75-80), and whether you consider Permanent Waves a 70s album or an 80s album (the correct answer is 70s album) . . .
  • Like 1

Oh! Sorry.. an unintentional breach of protocol on my part.

I first got into Rush when I was probably 13 or 14, in the early 80s. I remember hearing Spirit of Radio and thinking.. this is something else! The first album I got was Exit Stage Left - I used my hard earned babysitting money on that double album! I thought..what a bargain - I get the music from all of those different albums with just this one purchase. I was so hooked on that album; those versions of those songs are still some of my favorites. :) The first concert I ever saw was for Power Windows in 1985 - I still have that ticket stub and got it signed by Geddy last weekend! Weehee!!

As for favorites and lists.. well... I pretty much love them all. Over the years, different ones have had more meaning to me than others, and that always seems to change and evolve. My favorite era.. here goes... the synth years... :) Hold Your Fire is still one of my "go to" when I need a quick Rush fix. I think Permanent Waves qualifies as *both* a 70s and 80s album ;)

• Like 6

The first album I got was Exit Stage Left - I used my hard earned babysitting money on that double album! I thought..what a bargain - I get the music from all of those different albums with just this one purchase.

Same here, and for the same reason!

• Like 3

Hearing How It Is live brought tears to my eyes. Such a powerful song in the way it constrasts a hopeful melody with fatalistic themes, I really find it moving.
  • Like 5

Hearing How It Is live brought tears to my eyes. Such a powerful song in the way it constrasts a hopeful melody with fatalistic themes, I really find it moving.

Yeah, that song was sort of brought to life live.

• Like 1

I've been "meh" about most of Pearts lyrics in the latter half of their career but How It Is really connects with me personally . I've lived those lyrics as have most other people in times of personal crisis or pain

:yes:
  • Like 1

It got me again, on my way home from work yesterday. Darn near an ugly cry in the car!

This song has evolved so much over time for me in how it evokes emotion.

At first, I really enjoyed it as "that slower song" on Clockwork Angels. It was a nice end to the album, wrapped things up well in my mind. It was great to hear it live on the CA tour, and I enjoyed listening to it whenever it came up on random or on purpose.

Then came R40, and the realization that the tour had most likely signified an end to an era. Now, hearing The Garden, knowing that it is the last song, on the last album they'll ever produce. Oh wow.. I couldn't hear it without getting at least a bit choked up while singing along, and occasionally shedding a couple of tears.

The final blow was Time Stand Still. Such perfect placement and use of that song as the credits are rolling. Bonafide ugly cry. 10 tissues, at least, swollen eyes, the whole nine yards. Oyyyy I was glad that I was at least home alone at the time.

The Garden comes off of all of my playlists after this - it caught me offguard one morning on my way to work and reduced me to tears. I couldn't have that happening! I went about a year or so, then gradually attempted to listen to it again. Finally, just recently, I was able to make it all the way through. It was almost like the stages of grief, where at some point, you turn the corner and the memories that made you sad are now the happy ones that you enjoy reflecting on.

That was, until I decided to listen to the live Rush albums yesterday. Oh cool, I thought, here's a live version of The Garden - I've got this! Oh no I didn't!! The sound of Geddy singing that live, combined with the recent experience of meeting him at Grapes Under Pressure, somehow regressed my whole "grief" progression and dumped me right back at the sad point. Ah well.. I'll give it some time, because time heals all and I'll get to listen to it again some day.

Are there any songs (Rush, or otherwise) that have such a powerful emotional impact on you? Sad, happy or otherwise?

Thanks for hearing me out.. I knew that this would be a safe place to share this, with a group of people that would uniquely understand what I was talking about :)

It does this to my wife. The song came out during a time of losing people in our lives. We tend to avoid the song for that reason. I play it at times because it's such a great song. But she actively avoids it. Too much emotion.

• Like 2

When I die, though I don't want a grand departure, I've always thought Tears would be a fitting tune for my funeral. I was out cleaning my car the other day, cycling through the Rush albums like I normally do, when Tears came on. Man, I was a mess. I don't get emotional easliy but something in that moment just hit me.
  • Like 2

For a long time I thought the one line in How It Is was "windy days as far as you can see" instead "when today's as far as you can see"

It seemed to make sense lol

I love mis-heard lyrics, haha! I know there are some that I still haven't figured out and usually just mumble my own nonsense as I sing along. One of my favorites is non-Rush, "Big old Jed had a rhino", (Big old jet airliner) by Steve Miller ;)

• Like 1