Geddy Lee voted #19th best keyboardist in Prog Magazine

RushFanForever

The September 2018 issue of Prog magazine via Louder contains a feature about 'the greatest keyboard players in the history of progressive rock'.

According to the issue posted here, Geddy Lee was voted #19th best keyboardist of the top 50 listed.

'Given that Geddy Lee is actually a bass player, his place in the Top 20 is a testament to his musical dexterity. Lee didn't begin using synthesizers until Rush's fifth album, 1977's A Farewell To Kings, after which time he began using synthesizers and bass pedals far more often on stage. The band's use of keyboards hit its height in the 80s with albums such as Signals, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, and although its use was toned down on later albums, Lee's expertise with the instrument was always more than evident on stage.'

You say: "Playing bass, singing and playing keyboards all at the same time...It's easy to do one thing at a time but to do it all, and so proficiently, that's quite something."

- Karen DuBlanc

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Banks is my number one, and Geddy is way higher than 19 for me. Can't deny Wakeman, Emerson, Rudess, and Wright those high placings though.
  • Like 1

Geddy doesn't belong on a 'best keyboardist' list anymore than Keith Emerson belongs on a 'Best bass player' list.

Geddy is a mediocre noodler on keyboards, nothing more.

Magazine: hey how do we sell more copies? hey mention geddy!

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

Geddy doesn't belong on a 'best keyboardist' list anymore than Keith Emerson belongs on a 'Best bass player' list.

:eh:

He's written some great, catchy parts, though. As far as adding some extra color to the music, I think he did fine work. But he'd be the first to agree that he doesn't belong on that list.
  • Like 3

Want to sell even more? mention Big Al... :)

alex-on-piano.jpg

• Like 2

Want to sell even more? mention Big Al... :)

alex-on-piano.jpg

Alex will make the list for best backup vocalist.
  • Like 1

How many Rush fans went to concerts with the primary goal of seeing Geddy tear it up on keyboards?

Yeah didn't think so.

Same thing applies to Eddie Van Halen.

Thank God these guys never whipped out a KeyTar. That would be a sign of the apocalypse.

http://flyboyfilms.tv/Aethellis/stjames_keytar.jpg

Edited by HemiBeers

If Geddy sees this list, he'll either bust out laughing or shake his head in disbelief. :LOL: :lol:
  • Like 3

It’s a complete embarrassment.

Geddy finished higher than Herbie Hancock, Pete Bardens, Rod Argent, Thijs Van Lear, Jean Michel Jarre, Roger Hodgson, Klaus Schulze, Kevin Moore, Jan Hammer, Mike Pinder, Jem Godfrey, Neal Morse, Joe Zawinul and Dave Greenslade.

:facepalm:

• Like 4

It’s a complete embarrassment.

Geddy finished higher than Herbie Hancock, Pete Bardens, Rod Argent, Thijs Van Lear, Jean Michel Jarre, Roger Hodgson, Klaus Schulze, Kevin Moore, Jan Hammer, Mike Pinder, Jem Godfrey, Neal Morse, Joe Zawinul and Dave Greenslade.

:facepalm:

On last year’s rankings I placed in the top 20 too!

• Like 1

The main reason why a lot of people won't listen to Rush is because they can't get past Geddy Lee's voice. I have always wondered how much more successful they would've been if they had kept Geddy on bass and keyboards and hired a singer with a more conventional voice. They could've been a 4 piece band like the Beatles. Edited by Krystal

The main reason why a lot of people won't listen to Rush is because they can't get past Geddy Lee's voice. I have always wondered how much more successful they would've been if they had kept Geddy on bass and keyboards and hired a singer with a more conventional voice. They could've been a 4 piece band like the Beatles.

I don't think they would have been more popular. I believe that Geddy's voice was a huge part of their success. My first time hearing Rush was from their debut album and the power and uniqueness of Geddy's voice was what got me hooked right away. I think their are a lot of Rush fans who experienced the same thing. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

Of course doesnt have the technical ability of Banks Wakeman etc but Ged's keyboards as beautiful, creative and artistic as any of them - particularly in the background, more subtle sounds he makes ie/ you hardly hear the keyboards in BU2B but they exquisite and perfectly Rush. Another example Cold Fire, just gorgeous stuff in background you hardly hear and you know straightaway are Rush keyboards - probably the beauty of the whole band really, every note played you know is Rush and couldnt be anything else really
  • Like 3