Healing thoughts appreciated

blueschica

Hi everyone, my 89 yr old dad has been scheduled very suddenly for his open heart surgery; it will be Monday morning. He has aortic stenosis of his heart valve and his cardiac team feels like this is the best way to treat it. He passed the physical with flying colors so we are hopeful but it's a long road ahead of him. Any healing thoughts would be appreciated! I head to Pittsburgh today and am not sure how much I will be able to be on, although this is my happy place and the people here mean a lot to me so I hope to report from there! :heart: Thanks so much, everyone.
  • Like 4

Hi everyone, my 89 yr old dad has been scheduled very suddenly for his open heart surgery; it will be Monday morning. He has aortic stenosis of his heart valve and his cardiac team feels like this is the best way to treat it. He passed the physical with flying colors so we are hopeful but it's a long road ahead of him. Any healing thoughts would be appreciated! I head to Pittsburgh today and am not sure how much I will be able to be on, although this is my happy place and the people here mean a lot to me so I hope to report from there! :heart: Thanks so much, everyone.

Oh no! I hope all goes well.

• Like 2

Wishing your Dad a swift and convincing victory! :haz: :haz:

20 years ago, my mother had a quintuple bypass, and she's doing just fine ..... she still dotes on me too much, though..... :P

• Like 2

Best wishes BC hope all goes well.

My 86 y/o mother in law had a surgeon suggest basically undoing her previous back surgery and rebuilding it. We looked at him like he was on crack...do that for a 86 y/o? I'm certainly hoping your dad's doctors have his best interests in mind. I'm not sure I would make a surgery decision at a highly advanced age. Hoping to not cause you more worry, but I have doubts about modern medicine at times.

• Like 4

BC, I send my best and feel that you are more than just a random name on a random internet forum .. So I echo Hemi's sentiments in that I hope that this procedure is absolutely necessary - as in "life saving" necessary ..

As far as care post op, I would say that you should urge the doctors to monitor is B12 levels, as B12 can be seriously depleted after receiving general anesthesia ..

Doctors never respond well to being asked to do things, but find a doc - even his GP can do it with a simple blood test - find someone who understands and will monitor this ...

https://www.b12-vitamin.com/anesthesia/

All the best and I will be thinking of you .. Please keep us updated

• Like 3

I come from a medical family but I'm not in medicine. Open heart surgery has become such a common procedure that it has an extremely high success rate.

My prayers are with you and your family.

• Like 5

Best wishes BC hope all goes well.

My 86 y/o mother in law had a surgeon suggest basically undoing her previous back surgery and rebuilding it. We looked at him like he was on crack...do that for a 86 y/o? I'm certainly hoping your dad's doctors have his best interests in mind. I'm not sure I would make a surgery decision at a highly advanced age. Hoping to not cause you more worry, but I have doubts about modern medicine at times.

I don't trust modern medicine too much either. But a doctor would not recommend a serious operation like this one if they didn't think the patients survival rate was very good. No doctor wants someone to die while under the knife. So, if they think the person will be fine then they'll go through with the surgery.

My grandpa had a double bypass when he was 74 and he made it to 90. Obviously there could be complications But it's a very good sign if the doctor is confident the procedure will be a success.

• Like 3

Here I am, blueschica, my friend. :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 2

Thanks so much, everyone! The thoughts and wishes from everyone are deeply,deeply appreciated. Our family does have some concerns about such a procedure at my dad's age of 89, but basically there was no alternative. The world's best super duper recliner arrived today and we took dad out

for dinner and his favorite double Jim Beam and water tonight so hopefully we're facing surgery prepared and ready. (Only half kidding.) Thanks again, everyone. :heart: :heart:

• Like 8

Once your father recovers, he can become a Rush fan like this 89 year old gentleman mentioned here from this 2012 article.

• Like 2

Thanks so much, everyone! The thoughts and wishes from everyone are deeply,deeply appreciated. Our family does have some concerns about such a procedure at my dad's age of 89, but basically there was no alternative. The world's best super duper recliner arrived today and we took dad out

for dinner and his favorite double Jim Beam and water tonight so hopefully we're facing surgery prepared and ready. (Only half kidding.) Thanks again, everyone. :heart: :heart:

Can't go wrong with that wonderful elixir Bourbon! :P

Please keep us posted as we keep him, you & yours in our thoughts & prayers :angel:

• Like 2