Favourite Geddy bass era?

MalformedEarthborn

Favourite Geddy bass era?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite bass Geddy played, tone-wise?

• Early Fender Jazz
    • Rickenbacker
    • Steinberger
    • Wal Bass
    • Current Fender Jazz

Ged and the Rickenbacker go together like Ged and the Rickenbacker.

Wait a sec somethings off with that analogy...

• Like 1

Just curious which everyone likes most. While my favourite basslines of his are on his Ricky, nothing beats the Wal tone for me. I'd kill to hear Hemispheres on a Wal!

Are you serious? The Wal is not even a real bass guitar. It's an electrified rubber band. The red wal sounds nice, especially on the mirrors bootleg, but that black thing is atrocious.

I'd have to go with the Steinberger era just out of pure nostalgia. I'd still like to get one as part of my midlife crisis. I have a Geddy jazz, and I've also owned a Rickenbacker. Steinberger was the one that always just seemed Out Of Reach. No idea why my voice text capitalized that

Just curious which everyone likes most. While my favourite basslines of his are on his Ricky, nothing beats the Wal tone for me. I'd kill to hear Hemispheres on a Wal!

Are you serious? The Wal is not even a real bass guitar. It's an electrified rubber band. The red wal sounds nice, especially on the mirrors bootleg, but that black thing is atrocious.

I'd have to go with the Steinberger era just out of pure nostalgia. I'd still like to get one as part of my midlife crisis. I have a Geddy jazz, and I've also owned a Rickenbacker. Steinberger was the one that always just seemed Out Of Reach. No idea why my voice text capitalized that

Don't make me second guess my vote haha.

Steinberger is dead last for me. Every note sounds like a baby farting.

I'd imagine a Steinberger would be cheaper than a Rick. Much cheaper than a Wal too. You pay less if there's no headstock haha

Nope. Not by a longshot. A Rick today goes for $1000-1500. A early Steinberger goes for about $2400 or so on ebay. A Wal can go for 3K to 6K.

There is also a Fender Jazz period circa 1981

So when we signed our first record deal, I bought a Rickenbacker 4001, and I used that for years, probably up until Moving Pictures. And even during Moving Pictures, I used that, but for half of Moving Pictures I also used the Jazz Bass.

I've read all kinds of debates about what Ged used on Red Barchetta

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Has anyone isolated the Wal bass from a song like in the video above? I'm not a big fan of its sound either, but I'd like to hear it.

I guess this is close

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I also think the wal albums would sound worse without the wal. Just that sound fits perfectly into the rest of the instrumental template, the Rickenbacker or the Jazz wouldn’t sound peppy / poppy enough.
  • Like 1

Has anyone isolated the Wal bass from a song like in the video above? I'm not a big fan of its sound either, but I'd like to hear it.

I guess this is close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiaEaCVNmRk

Have really enjoyed watching his videos

• Like 1

Rick for me.

Steinberger last. Maybe not so much for the tone, but the fact (well maybe not fact, but thought I remember it) that he played it so it wouldn't bump into the keyboards as much

Voted for the Jazz he bought at a pawn shop in Kalamazoo (my home town). It would be interesting to know the address, but the shop and the address are likely long forgotten.

The Steinberger has all the charm of a cricket bat.

89014290_l.jpg

• Like 2

You criticise the Wal then let yourself down by preferring the Steinberger, really? Wals are awesome bass guitars handmade from the finest woods by a small dedicated company and are held in the highest esteem in the bass community, the tone that Geddy produced from his Wals were exactly how he produced them to sound as was his taste at the time and not representative of the instrument as a whole, much like the tone he now extracts from his Fender which is not representative of the average Fender Jazz bass, take a listen to BSSM by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers played on Fleas Wal Mk 2 which is widely regarded as his best ever bass tone and you might see things differently!

You criticise the Wal then let yourself down by preferring the Steinberger, really? Wals are awesome bass guitars handmade from the finest woods by a small dedicated company and are held in the highest esteem in the bass community, the tone that Geddy produced from his Wals were exactly how he produced them to sound as was his taste at the time and not representative of the instrument as a whole, much like the tone he now extracts from his Fender which is not representative of the average Fender Jazz bass, take a listen to BSSM by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers played on Fleas Wal Mk 2 which is widely regarded as his best ever bass tone and you might see things differently!

I think one can be aware of the respect Wals have with some bassists, be aware of their excellent build quality, and still not like the tone. IMO, the MK I sounded much better than the MK II. The II sounded like he had rolled the tone completely off and given the twang of Wal basses this doesn't seem to help. It may also be because of where I am with my own playing, but I wonder if they are better as fretless basses. As for them being representative of what he wanted, I do not doubt that but having heard some videos of Justin Chancellor using them in concert his tone didn't seem too far off from that twang Geddy got from them. I suspect they have that, but can be EQed (see Mr. Chancellor).

Count me in as someone who prefers the Steinberger to the Wal. I suspect if Geddy ran only the neck pickup, it is not criticized as much as it is. Yes, you can ask why I think this if you so desire.

As for the Jazz Bass, he may have a bit more dirt on them than most but I do not think his is too far off from the basic tone they offer as single coil basses.

I AM one of those weirdos who thinks that the Ric on HYF would have been at least interesting, if not enjoyable. Troy (the man in those videos) did a demo on a PoW or HYF song on a Stingray and it sounded just fine. I realize I mention a different bass, but I use this to say that the sound is not locked into that bass tone (at least, not for me anyway).

Edited by 78jazz

Do you know what nostalgia means? Look it up. It's got nothing to do with the tone. I don't care what the black Wal sounded like in other people's hands. In Geddy's it sounded like shit. No bottom whatsoever. The red Wal was slightly better on record, much better live.

Do you know what nostalgia means? Look it up. It's got nothing to do with the tone. I don't care what the black Wal sounded like in other people's hands. In Geddy's it sounded like shit. No bottom whatsoever. The red Wal was slightly better on record, much better live.

You said 'The Wal is not even a real bass guitar, something about a rubber band, ridiculous statement, obviously an uneducated comment and the tone Geddy got from it was what he dialled in, he obviously liked the sound! Edited by New Digital Man

Speaking of Flea and Geddy, they should get together with Les Claypool and create a DVD of them discussing basses, talking shop and shooting the bull. I know Geddy and Les are tight, but not sure what they think of Flea. Sort of like "it might get loud" that The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White put together. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

You said 'The Wal is not even a real bass guitar, something about a rubber band, ridiculous statement, obviously an uneducated comment and the tone Geddy got from it was what he dialled in, he obviously liked the sound!

I don't give a rat's ass what sound Geddy liked. The thread is about what era I liked. Listen to any bootleg from the Presto era. The Hartford show that I was at is a soundboard recording, and his bass sounds exactly like a twangy rubber band. The only bass is from his foot pedals.

Speaking of Flea and Geddy, they should get together with Les Claypool and create a DVD of them discussing basses, talking shop and shooting the bull. I know Geddy and Les are tight, but not sure what they think of Flea. Sort of like "it might get loud" that The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White put together.

If Flea and Les haven’t met I’ll be shocked.

Btw this is an astounding idea. I want this shot yesterday.

• Like 1