40 years ago Judas Priest released KILLING MACHINE (aka Hell Bent For Leather)

treeduck

Great great GREAT album, some of my favorite JP songs : Running Wild, Hell Bent For Leather, Delivering The Goods, and Take On The World

.. and us Yanks originally got Green Manalishi, which is another favorite

I love the Les Binks era JP ...

The only Priest I don;t own are the Ripper albums -- I'll get to them in time, but looking at their discography, they never put out anything less than really really good ... And Hell Bent for Leather is right near the top of one of the best discographys ever

• Like 2

last really heavy record before the party era begins on british steel

What about Grinder and Steeler and The Rage and Rapid Fire and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise? And Metal Gods??

Grinder is unforgiving. Rapid Fire gets my blood pumping. The Rage is just heavy...with some reggae.

What about Grinder and Steeler and The Rage and Rapid Fire and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise? And Metal Gods??

Grinder is unforgiving. Rapid Fire gets my blood pumping. The Rage is just heavy...with some reggae.

And don't forget STEELER! :notworthy:

• Like 1

Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, Screaming For Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Ram It Down.

It may have been Priests party era but there is still plenty of metal there.

• Like 3

Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, Screaming For Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Ram It Down.

Aye!

• Like 1

it's a great record and it's not all party music. I still think the 70s stuff is considerably heavier and darker

stack all those songs next to sinner or white heat red hot in terms of heaviness

again, stack all those songs next to exciter, victim of changes, tyrant, green manalishi...

riding on the wind and freewheel burning are the definition of priest's beer-drinkin' and cruisin' music

again, stack all those songs next to exciter, victim of changes, tyrant, green manalishi...

riding on the wind and freewheel burning are the definition of priest's beer-drinkin' and cruisin' music

I think that's the American view of Priest, a place where metal audiences are dwindling. In Europe where metal strongholds are solid, Priest are not viewed as a cruisin' beer-swilling party band.

I think that's the American view of Priest, a place where metal audiences are dwindling. In Europe where metal strongholds are solid, Priest are not viewed as a cruisin' beer-swilling party band.

Metal audiences aren't dwindling over here at all. It's not as popular as it is in Europe but it's far from a struggling genre.

I saw Slayer draw 10,000 people for a show a couple months ago. Things are ok.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I'm talking about musical styles, not how the band is viewed.

is turbo heavier than sad wings of destiny?

Metal audiences aren't dwindling over here at all. It's not as popular as it is in Europe but it's far from a struggling genre.

Well in the case of Accept they're not able to tour America anymore because they can't fill arenas.

ACCEPT guitarist Wolf Hoffmann spoke to KNAC.COM about the band's reluctance to stage full-blown tours of the U.S. due to worsening market conditions in the country. When writer Ruben Mosqueda pointed out to Hoffmann that ACCEPT has only performed in Portland, Oregon twice in the nine years since the band's comeback with new singer Mark Tornillo, Hoffmann replied: "I remember those shows. We were excited to play Portland and were booked to play the smaller club [the first time, in April 2011]. Then when we came back [on a co-headlining tour] with KREATOR [in September 2012], [we] were booked to play the larger room, [and] we were excited. There were nights on that tour [with KREATOR] where we filled the room and other times where we'd have what you saw in Portland [with a disappointing turnout]. It was disheartening."

He continued: "America is a hard market to crack, and it makes it virtually impossible for bands to tour here. You can't make any money. And record sales? Well, you know that's died down too. ACCEPT does great business in Europe — we're playing major festivals and we headline our own shows to large audiences — so we concentrate on the European market."

just saw priest and purple draw about 12000. and that slayer show in august got about the same.

metal as a whole is huge here. it's true that certain bands do better in europe

That's an extreme example.

And if you're talking about styles is beer drinking, cruising, party a style? Not in my estimation and I've never heard anyone describe Priest as that.

Well in the case of Accept they're not able to tour America anymore because they can't fill arenas.

ACCEPT guitarist Wolf Hoffmann spoke to KNAC.COM about the band's reluctance to stage full-blown tours of the U.S. due to worsening market conditions in the country. When writer Ruben Mosqueda pointed out to Hoffmann that ACCEPT has only performed in Portland, Oregon twice in the nine years since the band's comeback with new singer Mark Tornillo, Hoffmann replied: "I remember those shows. We were excited to play Portland and were booked to play the smaller club [the first time, in April 2011]. Then when we came back [on a co-headlining tour] with KREATOR [in September 2012], [we] were booked to play the larger room, [and] we were excited. There were nights on that tour [with KREATOR] where we filled the room and other times where we'd have what you saw in Portland [with a disappointing turnout]. It was disheartening."

He continued: "America is a hard market to crack, and it makes it virtually impossible for bands to tour here. You can't make any money. And record sales? Well, you know that's died down too. ACCEPT does great business in Europe — we're playing major festivals and we headline our own shows to large audiences — so we concentrate on the European market."

accept is definitely a band that probably wouldn't do well in atlanta.

voivod does the festival thing in europe as well, but when I saw them here in 2016 it was about 40 people in the room

And if you're talking about styles is beer drinking, cruising, party a style? Not in my estimation and I've never heard anyone describe Priest as that.

AC/DC, van halen, etc. fun music that gets played in bars and on the radio

AC/DC, van halen, etc. fun music that gets played in bars and on the radio

Over here we don't call them that, they're hard rock or rock or heavy metal. A party band in Europe is Bananarama.