40 years ago Judas Priest released KILLING MACHINE (aka Hell Bent For Leather)

treeduck

last really heavy record before the party era begins on british steel

What about Grinder and Steeler and The Rage and Rapid Fire and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise? And Metal Gods??

Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, Screaming For Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Ram It Down.

It may have been Priests party era but there is still plenty of metal there.

again, stack all those songs next to exciter, victim of changes, tyrant, green manalishi...

riding on the wind and freewheel burning are the definition of priest's beer-drinkin' and cruisin' music

I think that's the American view of Priest, a place where metal audiences are dwindling. In Europe where metal strongholds are solid, Priest are not viewed as a cruisin' beer-swilling party band.

Metal audiences aren't dwindling over here at all. It's not as popular as it is in Europe but it's far from a struggling genre.

I saw Slayer draw 10,000 people for a show a couple months ago. Things are ok.

Well in the case of Accept they're not able to tour America anymore because they can't fill arenas.

ACCEPT guitarist Wolf Hoffmann spoke to KNAC.COM about the band's reluctance to stage full-blown tours of the U.S. due to worsening market conditions in the country. When writer Ruben Mosqueda pointed out to Hoffmann that ACCEPT has only performed in Portland, Oregon twice in the nine years since the band's comeback with new singer Mark Tornillo, Hoffmann replied: "I remember those shows. We were excited to play Portland and were booked to play the smaller club [the first time, in April 2011]. Then when we came back [on a co-headlining tour] with KREATOR [in September 2012], [we] were booked to play the larger room, [and] we were excited. There were nights on that tour [with KREATOR] where we filled the room and other times where we'd have what you saw in Portland [with a disappointing turnout]. It was disheartening."

He continued: "America is a hard market to crack, and it makes it virtually impossible for bands to tour here. You can't make any money. And record sales? Well, you know that's died down too. ACCEPT does great business in Europe — we're playing major festivals and we headline our own shows to large audiences — so we concentrate on the European market."

Accept? That's what you're using as an example? The band who had one hit 35 years ago that was never that good to begin with. Of course they play crap venues here.

• Like 1

What about Grinder and Steeler and The Rage and Rapid Fire and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise? And Metal Gods??

Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, Screaming For Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Ram It Down.

again, stack all those songs next to exciter, victim of changes, tyrant, green manalishi...

riding on the wind and freewheel burning are the definition of priest's beer-drinkin' and cruisin' music

I think that's the American view of Priest, a place where metal audiences are dwindling. In Europe where metal strongholds are solid, Priest are not viewed as a cruisin' beer-swilling party band.

Metal audiences aren't dwindling over here at all. It's not as popular as it is in Europe but it's far from a struggling genre.

I saw Slayer draw 10,000 people for a show a couple months ago. Things are ok.

Well in the case of Accept they're not able to tour America anymore because they can't fill arenas.

ACCEPT guitarist Wolf Hoffmann spoke to KNAC.COM about the band's reluctance to stage full-blown tours of the U.S. due to worsening market conditions in the country. When writer Ruben Mosqueda pointed out to Hoffmann that ACCEPT has only performed in Portland, Oregon twice in the nine years since the band's comeback with new singer Mark Tornillo, Hoffmann replied: "I remember those shows. We were excited to play Portland and were booked to play the smaller club [the first time, in April 2011]. Then when we came back [on a co-headlining tour] with KREATOR [in September 2012], [we] were booked to play the larger room, [and] we were excited. There were nights on that tour [with KREATOR] where we filled the room and other times where we'd have what you saw in Portland [with a disappointing turnout]. It was disheartening."

He continued: "America is a hard market to crack, and it makes it virtually impossible for bands to tour here. You can't make any money. And record sales? Well, you know that's died down too. ACCEPT does great business in Europe — we're playing major festivals and we headline our own shows to large audiences — so we concentrate on the European market."

Accept? That's what you're using as an example? The band who had one hit 35 years ago that was never that good to begin with. Of course they play crap venues here.

Well take Priest they're gradually playing smaller and smaller venues and were even the support act to Deep Purple this year.

I'm talking about musical styles, not how the band is viewed.

is turbo heavier than sad wings of destiny?

That's an extreme example.

And if you're talking about styles is beer drinking, cruising, party a style? Not in my estimation and I've never heard anyone describe Priest as that.

AC/DC, van halen, etc. fun music that gets played in bars and on the radio

Over here we don't call them that, they're hard rock or rock or heavy metal. A party band in Europe is Bananarama.

I guess it's just me that gets the party vibe from songs like take your whiskey home and have a drink on me

And if you're talking about styles is beer drinking, cruising, party a style? Not in my estimation and I've never heard anyone describe Priest as that.

Over here we don't call them that, they're hard rock or rock or heavy metal. A party band in Europe is Bananarama.

I guess it's just me that gets the party vibe from songs like take your whiskey home and have a drink on me

Well Americans anyway.

Well Americans anyway.

theyre about partying!!

Well Americans anyway.

theyre about partying!!

And kinky sex! :wacko:

Killing Machine/Hell Bent For Leather might be my favorite Priest album. Great songs and excellent production. IMO, it's the first Priest studio album where the guitars really have bite. As good as the material on previous albums were, the sonics were lacking. Sad Wings, for instance, sounds very dated and dull. I pretty much only listen to live versions of any of those songs. KM was really the first studio recording that came close to capturing the band's raw live sound.
  • Like 1

And while Priest definitely dumbed themselves down for a couple of radio chasing tracks on British Steel, they hardly stopped being heavy. The rest of that album stomps and Rapid Fire is arguably the heaviest Priest song of all time.

accept are pretty influential

Yeah, they made bands realise they could be mediocre and still make a living in music. They're a cheaper knockoff of Priest than Saxon is.

neither is a knockoff of priest

Killing Machine man

was just listening to it.

Now it's not my favorite batch of Priest tunes to be perfectly honest

But they're a bunch of killler cuts all the same!

Only got to Take On The World before my speaker died.

But what an opening! How did I never listen close to that wicked guitar solo on Delivering The Goods before!? That's some Electric Eye level shredding right there!

The riffs fly at you one after the other so quick you won't know what hit you.

Rob is in peak peak form. His voice may have never sounded better.

(of course he's still got it mind you)

• Like 1

One of the best Priest albums. I still don't like Take On the World though.

That and United to me are some of the most directly We Will Rock You inspired songs in existence. I know Priest were definite Queen fans, and they couldn't have been unfamiliar with that anthem, probably seeing if they could write one to speak directly to their own fans. The drums are still powerful in Take On The World, and the riff in United is still heavy. Just the choruses sound cheesy anymore, and perhaps did back then too.

I was a massive JP fan in the very early days, still am, but for me Killing Machine was the last. I really didn't get the direction of British Steel and whilst I carried on getting the albums, I ran out of steam around Defenders. I still have all the albums upto Killing Machine in my car and play them frequently. And I know it isn't popular but the debut still has a very soft spot for me. I wished they had carried on in that more prog vein than going HM. Entirely my views of course.

I was a massive JP fan in the very early days, still am, but for me Killing Machine was the last. I really didn't get the direction of British Steel and whilst I carried on getting the albums, I ran out of steam around Defenders. I still have all the albums upto Killing Machine in my car and play them frequently. And I know it isn't popular but the debut still has a very soft spot for me. I wished they had carried on in that more prog vein than going HM. Entirely my views of course.

Stop living in the past and check out their new album Firepower.

• Like 2

Interesting that Accept is brought up .. I do like them, but when talking about them not being huge here in The States .- so the German band loses their singer, and what do they do - they get an American guy ...

So the USA is just Party Rock ??

Don;t get me wrong, I love JP ... but in the same year we had Nuclear Assault debut - successfully - and a bunch of other hardcore/metal/thrash bands, this is what the big tough Brits were doing

maxresdefault.jpg

On a more serious note:

One thing that cannot be denied as far as bands originating in the USA - more specifically, LA - the shit movie capitol of the world influence ... The whole Hollywood metal scene sort of watered down and unfairly defined metal from the USA ...

And I suppose that in hindsight, there's even more resentment and dislike for that crop of bands because it seemed to have, at one point or another, rubbed off on some of the heavier, international bands ... Celtic Frost, for example ...

Hey, I don;t care .. I love Cold Lake ....... but the point here is that whether it's Nuclear Assault ( who I love ) or Poison, each has an image

Edited by Lucas

Interesting that Accept is brought up .. I do like them, but when talking about them not being huge here in The States .- so the German band loses their singer, and what do they do - they get an American guy ...

So the USA is just Party Rock ??

Don;t get me wrong, I love JP ... but in the same year we had Nuclear Assault debut - successfully - and a bunch of other hardcore/metal/thrash bands, this is what the big tough Brits were doing

maxresdefault.jpg

On a more serious note:

One thing that cannot be denied as far as bands originating in the USA - more specifically, LA - the shit movie capitol of the world influence ... The whole Hollywood metal scene sort of watered down and unfairly defined metal from the USA ...

And I suppose that in hindsight, there's even more resentment and dislike for that crop of bands because it seemed to have, at one point or another, rubbed off on some of the heavier, international bands ... Celtic Frost, for example ...

Hey, I don;t care .. I love Cold Lake ....... but the point here is that whether it's Nuclear Assault ( who I love ) or Poison, each has an image

to be fair, our thrash basically spawned from motorhead and venom. we're all just pussies! even though we got black flag and they got the jam lol