Here's an interview you guys can help me with...

Rod in Toronto

I will be talking on Skype with Jordan freaking Rudess of Dream Theater next Friday!!!! Does anybody have questions for him? I have a few:

1) What kind of path do you think your career would have taken had you not joined Dream Theater;

2) I notice that on certain shows you use the "winged" keyboard on a few parts, on others you use one that has keys on a curve-shaped board, and on others you stay in your "station", when playing the same song. How do you decide which keyboard to use in each part?

3) Some artists say that the tension between band members seem to create the best albums - that seems to have been the case with Jagger and Richards, Dave and Eddie Van Halen etc. Dream Theater, on the other hand, seems to be a VERY friendly environment. Do you think that having tension in the studio would generate a better DT album?

4) At your age, most artists are playing the same songs over and over, while you seem to be always moving forward. Why fo you think you have such a drive, while others don't?

Etc etc...I'm all ears if you want to help me with questions!

• Like 1

Rod in Toronto, what was Jordan Rudess's reaction seeing fellow band mate John Petrucci chatting with Geddy Lee on VH1 Classic That Metal Show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bet6rPhNSIU

Also was Geddy an influence to John as a keyboardist despite his main instrument being the bass guitar in RUSH?

Edited by RushFanForever

Rod in Toronto, I also want to ask if Jordan is familiar with current Styx keyboardist and solo artist Lawrence Gowan?

Lawrence comments on Jordan in this recent interview here regarding the revolving keyboard onstage (which is also mentioned here) that he was doing years before which Alex Lifeson inspired him to do.

Gowan was signed to Anthem Records back in the late 80's.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Rod in Toronto, I also want to ask if Jordan is familiar with current Styx keyboardist and solo artist Lawrence Gowan?

Lawrence comments on Jordan in this recent interview here regarding the revolving keyboard onstage (which is also mentioned here) that he was doing years before which Alex Lifeson inspired him to do.

Gowan was signed to Anthem Records back in the late 80's.

I'll try to sneak that one in.

Question 1: When is he going to shave that stupid little, wispy, wizardy beard off?

That would be a great first question

Rod, what do ya think ??

If that's the first question, it'll be a VERY short interview!!!!

• Like 1

Rod in Toronto check this news piece out here. It looks like he'll be in your neck of the woods in December.

Yeah, the venue he's playing in Rio is across the road from my parents' house. I would totally have gone to that show if I was still in Rio!

Rod, I don't like DT at all. So here's a couple from another perspective maybe:

Even people who aren't fans of your music generally concede that you're very talented players. Do you think having that reputation has negatively impacted the bands' mainstream popularity at all?

The influence of other bands is pretty obvious in your music. Is there a line between showing influence and being derivative, and do you think that's a distinction fans can easily make?

• Like 2

Rod, I don't like DT at all. So here's a couple from another perspective maybe:

Even people who aren't fans of your music generally concede that you're very talented players. Do you think having that reputation has negatively impacted the bands' mainstream popularity at all?

The influence of other bands is pretty obvious in your music. Is there a line between showing influence and being derivative, and do you think that's a distinction fans can easily make?

most DT diehards I know really enjoy the "nods" to different groups - "there's the rush part!" "there's the pink floyd part!" "there's the metallica part!" and so on. in other words, they don't seem to care if it's natural or derivative

this tour didn't come to georgia so I never saw it, but in 2010 maiden toured with dream theater. I'd wager none of the dream theater fans in the audience missed maiden's set. I'd also wager a lot of maiden fans wanted to strangle DT

• Like 1

Rod ask Jordon Rudess about the composition he created dedicated to Allan Holdsworth. Mr Rudess has stated Holdsworth influences everyone he works with. Just interested in what he saw in Allan that was unique, and as far reaching musically as Mr Rudess suggests.

If you can ;)

Cheers

• Like 3

Rod ask Jordon Rudess about the composition he created dedicated to Allan Holdsworth. Mr Rudess has stated Holdsworth influences everyone he works with. Just interested in what he saw in Allan that was unique, and as far reaching musically as Mr Rudess suggests.

If you can ;)

Cheers

Good question! Which song was that?