NOTHING STAYS THE SAME! Another best Van Halen album thread (cuz I can’t find the old one)

Entre_Perpetuo

Poll title  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Question 1

• Van Halen
    • Van Halen II
    • Women and Children First
    • Fair Warning
    • Diver Down
    • OU812
    • For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    • Balance
    • Van Halen III
    • A Different Kind Of Truth

Unlike some, I'm a big fan of the Hagar stuff. But my vote goes to the debut. How many bands had a debut this strong? They hit you with everything right out of the gate. When I look at the track listing, I always think to myself "this is a debut? Most bands need to get to their third, fourth or fifth release before they're this good".

Still mind blowing 40 years later.

Yup! Can't stand the Van Hagar stuff. Love the guitar work of course.

I will say when I was back in high school I played 5150 a hundred times over the summer. Loved it. Even saw the tour. BTO opened! Cow Palace.

5150 was the first concert I went to--early Summer of '86 when I was 13. Later that summer I saw Ozzy and then David Lee Roth. 1986 was rite of passage for me!

Brilliant memories my friend!! CHEERS TO ROCK AND ROLL!

I saw the "Eat Em And Smile" Tour and "Skyscraper" Tour. Both of those tours blew VAN HAGAR AWAY! JMO!!!!

In Spokane, Hagar destroyed DLR, who couldn't even fill the arena. I had been a Hagar-hater, but he won me over that year.

Both camps were at their very peaks on these tours. VH was pretty much always a well-oiled machine with Hagar live until Eddie went off the rails with meth in the mid-90's, but even DLR stepped up big early in his solo career because he had something to prove. He also had one of the best bands ever assembled and he was still physically and vocally capable of doing all his crazy shit live. He still talked too much on the EEAS Tour from what I remember, but seeing him do 'On Fire' and doing all the 720 deg jump spins between verses was f***ing nuts. Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

Unlike some, I'm a big fan of the Hagar stuff. But my vote goes to the debut. How many bands had a debut this strong? They hit you with everything right out of the gate. When I look at the track listing, I always think to myself "this is a debut? Most bands need to get to their third, fourth or fifth release before they're this good".

I will say when I was back in high school I played 5150 a hundred times over the summer. Loved it. Even saw the tour. BTO opened! Cow Palace.

5150 was the first concert I went to--early Summer of '86 when I was 13. Later that summer I saw Ozzy and then David Lee Roth. 1986 was rite of passage for me!

I saw the "Eat Em And Smile" Tour and "Skyscraper" Tour. Both of those tours blew VAN HAGAR AWAY! JMO!!!!

In Spokane, Hagar destroyed DLR, who couldn't even fill the arena. I had been a Hagar-hater, but he won me over that year.

Both camps were at their very peaks on these tours. VH was pretty much always a well-oiled machine with Hagar live

It was Hagar's solo VOA tour that crushed Dave in Spokane. Steve Vai came across as super cheesy. Edited by goose

Both camps were at their very peaks on these tours. VH was pretty much always a well-oiled machine with Hagar live

It was Hagar's solo VOA tour that crushed Dave in Spokane. Steve Vai came across as super cheesy.

And, to be fair, Sammy STILL has a pretty good set of pipes. Dave is cooked.

• Like 2

Just like "Who Is the Main Reason Why You Are A Van Halen Fan?" thread. If there was an "All of the Above" choice except for "Van Halen III", and "A Different Kind of Truth", I would pick by voting for that as I've thought, and felt that if it wasn't for the ten c.ds, and albums, which were the first six, with, and when David Lee Roth, was the lead singer, and there were the next four, with, and when Sammy Hagar, was the lead singer. When I lived in Abbotsford, and Sammy Hagar, was the lead singer, I've seen Van Halen two times. The first time was in November 1991, during their "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Tour" in Vancouver at B.C. Place, and the second time was in September 1995, during their "the Balance "Ambulance" Tour" in Vancouver at Pacific Coliseum. Both tour concerts were the same like David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em and Smile", and "Skyscraper" tours. It wouldn't be fair to be comparing David Lee Roth, as the lead singer, and Sammy Hagar, as the lead singer. The both of them brought something unique, and different to the Van Halen band, and group. I've liked the both of them. Edited by Derek19

Just like "Who Is the Main Reason Why You Are A Van Halen Fan?" thread. If there was an "All of the Above" choice except for "Van Halen III", and "A Different Kind of Truth", I would pick by voting for that as I've thought, and felt that if it wasn't for the ten c.ds, and albums, which were the first six, with, and when David Lee Roth, was the lead singer, and there were the next four, with, and when Sammy Hagar, was the lead singer, there wouldn't have been the both of them, Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony together in Van Halen. When I lived in Abbotsford, and Sammy Hagar, was the lead singer, I've seen Van Halen two times. The first time was in November 1991, during their "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Tour" in Vancouver at B.C. Place, and the second time was in September 1995, during their "the Balance "Ambulance" Tour" in Vancouver at Pacific Coliseum. Both tour concerts were the same like David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em and Smile", and "Skyscraper" tours. It wouldn't be fair to be comparing David Lee Roth, as the lead singer, and Sammy Hagar, as the lead singer. The both of them brought something unique, and different to the Van Halen band, and group. I've liked the both of them.

I meant to add by saying on what is highlighted in "Bold".

I'd guess that DLR doesn't watch his voice because he never considered himself much of a singer

Even in the early career VH live footage, Dave is talking his way through a lot of the vocals (or skipping lines all together).

I'd guess that DLR doesn't watch his voice because he never considered himself much of a singer

Even in the early career VH live footage, Dave is talking his way through a lot of the vocals (or skipping lines all together).

But he can carry a melody. I know he's no Freddie Mercury, but he has a voice. I was listening to the first VH album the other day and was impressed - I think he sang his best on that album.

• Like 1

But he can carry a melody. I know he's no Freddie Mercury, but he has a voice. I was listening to the first VH album the other day and was impressed - I think he sang his best on that album.

He's great in the studio, for sure.
  • Like 1

:musicnote: ...don't you know that you can dance with me

an - ny time ... :musicnote:

:7up:

How perfect is his singing on Diver Down?

:musicnote: She ain't waiting till she gets older,

Her feet are making tracks in the winter snow,

She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder,

She be headed where the thunder rolls :musicnote:

• Like 1

He's great in the studio, for sure.

He's an embarrassment today to be sure. I don't know how Eddie stands him. He'd drive me crazy just watching how he acts on stage. He looks to be very annoying, and he dresses like Eddie Haskell. Whatever happened to flamboyant Diamond Dave? :cool:

Edited by Lorraine