NOTHING STAYS THE SAME! Another best Van Halen album thread (cuz I can’t find the old one)

Entre_Perpetuo

Poll title  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Question 1

• Van Halen
    • Van Halen II
    • Women and Children First
    • Fair Warning
    • Diver Down
    • OU812
    • For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    • Balance
    • Van Halen III
    • A Different Kind Of Truth

oh, I meant there was a van halen poll posted recently. like a few weeks ago

This is that thread, I made it like a few weeks ago.

I listen to VH mainly for Eddie's rhythm work around his inventive melodies. From the debut through Diver Down, there's a building complexity and sophisticatlion in his playing. Lately I've been binging on Diver Down, which could get my vote based on a combination of technical approach, melodic sensibility and diversity of material, but...

...Fair Warning simply kills from start to finish. So yeah, Fair Warning is the one.

Diver Down is a joke of an album. It has 5 covers and 4 others around a minute to a minute and a half long. They should be ashamed of putting it out.

Little Guitars is my face VH song though.

Diver Down has great playing beginning to end. The fact that it has covers is a non-issue for me, seeing that Fair Warning is largely a recycling of old unused VH riffs, but with excellent results. Both the creative recycling and the ability to make meaningful new versions of old classics are testaments to Eddie's guitar wizardry and songwriting abilities.
  • Like 1

I definitely think diver is the weakest of the first six, but by no means a bad record

There are superb tunes on DD.

Hangem'High

Secrets

Little Guitars

...and the covers are great. Just because they are covers, makes them bad ?

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I definitely think diver is the weakest of the first six, but by no means a bad record

Hangem'High

Secrets

Little Guitars

no, it's just worse than the surrounding albums

I listen to VH mainly for Eddie's rhythm work around his inventive melodies. From the debut through Diver Down, there's a building complexity and sophisticatlion in his playing. Lately I've been binging on Diver Down, which could get my vote based on a combination of technical approach, melodic sensibility and diversity of material, but...

...Fair Warning simply kills from start to finish. So yeah, Fair Warning is the one.

Diver Down is a joke of an album. It has 5 covers and 4 others around a minute to a minute and a half long. They should be ashamed of putting it out.

Little Guitars is my face VH song though.

Diver Down has great playing beginning to end. The fact that it has covers is a non-issue for me, seeing that Fair Warning is largely a recycling of old unused VH riffs, but with excellent results. Both the creative recycling and the ability to make meaningful new versions of old classics are testaments to Eddie's guitar wizardry and songwriting abilities.

New versions of classics can be fun, but so many on one album is just lazy in my book.

Hangem'High

Secrets

Little Guitars

So many on one album is ridiculous. I prefer bands to create their own music.

Hangem'High

Secrets

Little Guitars

So did Eddie. The album was thrown together to capitalize on the popularity of the release of a single cover version, and it served to create a very fun and technically interesting album.

Hangem'High

Secrets

Little Guitars

So did Eddie. The album was thrown together to capitalize on the popularity of the release of a single cover version, and it served to create a very fun and technically interesting album.

In fact, Eddie was livid that Dave took his Dancing in the Streets riff, which was supposed to be an original, and used it for that cover.

• Like 1

I listened to Fair Warning today and it was totally wicked! I didn’t pick up on it before! Could be my fav, idk. Anyway, vote for the best! Or your favorite or whatever.

Ahhhhh yes! Another great VAN HALEN POLL! I've written many of these over the beers, I mean years. Never gets old!

FAIR WARNING BABY!

My top two albums are:

HEMISPHERES

FAIR WARNING

• Like 1

Unlike some, I'm a big fan of the Hagar stuff. But my vote goes to the debut. How many bands had a debut this strong? They hit you with everything right out of the gate. When I look at the track listing, I always think to myself "this is a debut? Most bands need to get to their third, fourth or fifth release before they're this good".

Still mind blowing 40 years later.

Yup! Can't stand the Van Hagar stuff. Love the guitar work of course.

I will say when I was back in high school I played 5150 a hundred times over the summer. Loved it. Even saw the tour. BTO opened! Cow Palace.

Unlike some, I'm a big fan of the Hagar stuff. But my vote goes to the debut. How many bands had a debut this strong? They hit you with everything right out of the gate. When I look at the track listing, I always think to myself "this is a debut? Most bands need to get to their third, fourth or fifth release before they're this good".

I will say when I was back in high school I played 5150 a hundred times over the summer. Loved it. Even saw the tour. BTO opened! Cow Palace.

5150 was the first concert I went to--early Summer of '86 when I was 13. Later that summer I saw Ozzy and then David Lee Roth. 1986 was rite of passage for me!
  • Like 1

Hangem'High

Secrets

Little Guitars

In fact, Eddie was livid that Dave took his Dancing in the Streets riff, which was supposed to be an original, and used it for that cover.

Yeah. It fits the song, but one can only wonder what would have become had that backing track become it's own song.

5150 was the first concert I went to--early Summer of '86 when I was 13. Later that summer I saw Ozzy and then David Lee Roth. 1986 was rite of passage for me!

Brilliant memories my friend!! CHEERS TO ROCK AND ROLL!

I saw the "Eat Em And Smile" Tour and "Skyscraper" Tour. Both of those tours blew VAN HAGAR AWAY! JMO!!!!

• Like 1

Hard to choose. Been going through a phase with Diver Down. Normally I think including cover songs can be kind of iffy. VH and Monster Magnet have a pretty good track record with cover tunes.
  • Like 1

Brilliant memories my friend!! CHEERS TO ROCK AND ROLL!

I saw the "Eat Em And Smile" Tour and "Skyscraper" Tour. Both of those tours blew VAN HAGAR AWAY! JMO!!!!

In Spokane, Hagar destroyed DLR, who couldn't even fill the arena. I had been a Hagar-hater, but he won me over that year.