True Or False! Even Through The Darkness We All Endure In Life, "Available Light" Is A Great Song!!!

RUSHHEAD666

"Presto!" You Are Erased If You Don't Like "Available Light!"  

29 members have voted

1. 1. "Available Light" is A Brilliant Song By The Greatest Band In The Land!

I wasn't kidding about how much I love "Available Light" on that A Side B Side Thread. Even our very humble and quietly reserved Rush Forum Inventor made a quick jab at "Presto."

I totally disagree. "Presto" is a masterpiece.

"Available Light" is the end track on the record and it's strongest.

JMO

Geddy's vocals still shine on that track. Gives me chills still to this day.

I always wanted this song in the "Presto" Tour set but perhaps Geddy couldn't sing it every night.

Alas, it's a brilliant song.

I saw the "Presto" Tour 5 times.

Kind of stupid because the opener Mr. Big still haunts me........

"ARE YOU ADDICTED TO RUSH??????"

Rush fans go crazy!

Then the band goes into "Addicted To That Rush......"

Ugh!!!!

RUSH RULES!!!!!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I wasn't kidding about how much I love "Available Light" on that A Side B Side Thread. Even our very humble and quietly reserved Rush Forum Inventor made a quick jab at "Presto."

JMO

I always wanted this song in the "Presto" Tour set but perhaps Geddy couldn't sing it every night.

Rush fans go crazy!

Ugh!!!!

RUSH RULES!!!!!!

Yes a thousand times.

If you hate this song please explain so in the morning I can punch you in the nuts. LOL

I won't say I hate it, but it is a song that I probably won't ever play again as there are so many songs I would prefer to hear.

So, I will wear a cup today to protect my nuts, unlike this album, which has no balls. Rupert Hine is the one you should punch in the nuts.

• Like 4

If you hate this song please explain so in the morning I can punch you in the nuts. LOL

I won't say I hate it, but it is a song that I probably won't ever play again as there are so many songs I would prefer to hear.

So, I will wear a cup today to protect my nuts, unlike this album, which has no balls. Rupert Hine is the one you should punch in the nuts.

Yes rupert is deserving of testicular pummeling....

• Like 1

Yeah i like the whole vibe of the tune

In particular

play of light

a photograph

the way I used to be

some half-forgotten stranger

doesn't mean that much to me

• Like 2

Presto isn't the greatest Rush album, but for me it has the same peculiar to Rush alone special feeling that Moving Pictures has. I know this sounds crazy but it has a bouncy, vibrant and eclectic feel that reminds me of MP.

Always has...Available Light is one of the GREATEST SONGS EVEEERRRRR!!!

I love Roll The Bones as well.

• Like 1

Available Light and The Pass are definitely my top two favorites on Presto. They're neck and neck really so it’s hard to pick one over the other.

In the pantheon of Rush songs, neither is a heavyweight juggernaut like La Villa Strangiato or Xanadu. However, Avaialble Light and The Pass would get my certification as two prize-fighting middleweights. :blaze:

• Like 1

Recall back in day i recorded the album from a mate onto cassette for my walkman and was too long for it to include available light, when purchased cd some time later was like getting a new rush track :)
  • Like 1

Yeah i like the whole vibe of the tune

In particular

play of light

a photograph

the way I used to be

some half-forgotten stranger

doesn't mean that much to me

I can't stand how Lee sings the first two lines there - but I dig the tune.

• Like 1

The first 45 seconds capture what I consider "good Rush" .. after that, the neutered Rush comes in and ruins everything
What do you think of 1:15 to 1:40?Also, I quite like Lifeson's lead work in this. Edited by toymaker

The first 45 seconds capture what I consider "good Rush" .. after that, the neutered Rush comes in and ruins everything
What do you think of 1:15 to 1:40?Also, I quite like Lifeson's lead work in this.

Available Light had huge potential and it is one of their best from the period between Power Windows up thru Test For Echo ... It's those lame layers of "is it keyboard or is it clean guitar ?" sound that turns me off so much ... and all the wheedling Neil does on the toms ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they talk about it now, Rush doesn;t seem to regret the choice of producer for Presto and how it came out - or maybe they do ?? ... It seems in line with most of their other limp efforts of the time ..

• Like 1

JMO

Rush fans go crazy!

Ugh!!!!

RUSH RULES!!!!!!

Saw the Presto tour in Oaktown baby. It was the first time I went to a concert without any kind of parental supervision.

What do you think of 1:15 to 1:40?Also, I quite like Lifeson's lead work in this.

Available Light had huge potential and it is one of their best from the period between Power Windows up thru Test For Echo ... It's those lame layers of "is it keyboard or is it clean guitar ?" sound that turns me off so much ... and all the wheedling Neil does on the toms ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they talk about it now, Rush doesn;t seem to regret the choice of producer for Presto and how it came out - or maybe they do ?? ... It seems in line with most of their other limp efforts of the time ..

What's "wheedling on the toms" - it sounds like something a Scottish farmer does.

• Like 4

Love it! Shame it was never played live.

HAHAHA!

I forgot I wrote this silly poll!! Just finishing up packing for Toronto!

It kills my soul that they never played this song live!!!

I am so excited and nervous about this weekend.

Moments like this make me wish I wasn't such a pot stirrer or a a profane progressive poster. LOL!

RUSH IS IT FOR ME!

I'm sorry I have offended so many people on here over the years.

Glad I also made so many amazing friends! Damn crazy right???

I just wanted to be different from everyone else.

"If we need too much approval"

I never needed to be accepted yet I did want to be friends with many of you.

Even 73 is all about business.

He is like Neil Peart. "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend." Even though I have been shaking up his bandwidth for 12 fuckking years! LOL!!

I will be you 73 will be on that 2112 train on Saturday and he will be a stealth Digital Man. 1001001

RUSH ON FOREVER!!!!

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings on here over the last 12 years but I WILL NEVER CHANGE!!!

ILLUSIONS ARE PAINFULLY SHATTERED!

What's "wheedling on the toms" - it sounds like something a Scottish farmer does.

Hahahaha! I love running like the Devil across the toms!!! RUSH MUSIC!!!!

Anything else bores me.

I'm a spoiled Analog Kid.

• Like 2

14-3!!!

I love this Forum again!

Geddy's last opus on vocals.

A brilliant perfect song until the end of time.

Geddy’s last FULL album of good vocals is My Favorite Headache.

To be clear, understand that as: (1) I don’t really like every song off MFH but I do think that the vocals are all good, (2) Geddy has sung well in the 21st century...at times...but not for an entire album.

I just remembered Earl, back in the latter end of uni in the mid-90s, I used to write poetry. One of those poems was heavily inspired if not outright stolen from Available Light. I’d post it (because I know exactly where I keep it) but I feel as proud of some of those poems as Neil Peart does about many of his 70s sci-fi lyrics. You know what I’m sayin’. :blaze:

We should be so lucky ...

Have you ever had the unfortunate experience of trying to carry on a conversation with someone while they are crunching and chewing ice cubes ??

• Like 1

Its a very good song in its own right. Its not the *style* of songwriting Rush got famous composing (no heavy riffs or bass lines or epic guitar solos and its got that tinny Rupert Hine sound) but on its own I think its an impressive piece of music. I also think the same of Everyday Glory. Not a prototypical Rush song per se but still a good song