Opinion on future RUSH anniversary reissues

RushFanForever

In my opinion, RUSH should stop at Signals for future 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe sets. The 'Terry Brown' years are the most memorable for historical musical significance.

As the band continued to release music after Signals, which some fellow fans liked and other's not so much; there's really no need to continue doing this beyond 1982.

Louder Magazine has recently been posting 'the 20 best albums for each year' in the 80's decade.

Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals all made the list.

The band's subsequent recordings didn't make the cut beyond those three above mentioned years.

I'll be surprised if Presto makes the list of ''the 20 best albums for 1989'.

Please don't throw virtual tomatoes in my direction. :)

• Like 1

In my opinion, RUSH should stop at Signals for future 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe sets. The 'Terry Brown' years are the most memorable for historical musical significance.

As the band continued to release music after Signals, which some fellow fans liked and other's not so much; there's really no need to continue doing this beyond 1982.

Louder Magazine has recently been posting 'the 20 best albums for each year' in the 80's decade.

The band's subsequent recordings didn't make the cut beyond those three above mentioned years.

If it means getting live recordings I'd take it. But they need to make them standalone releases. I don't need to rebuy the albums just give me live recordings/DVD's.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

Since you're appealing to a magazine's opinion in place of your own, you'll be surprised to quite a few people really like some albums after Signals. Especially the two that directly followed it

• Like 4

Since you're appealing to a magazine's opinion in place of your own, you'll be surprised to quite a few people really like some albums after Signals. Especially the two that directly followed it

It's a rare instance that Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are liked even by musicians that RUSH influenced.

I'm not trying to be Eddie Trunk about this. I just can't see anything memorable about the band's output with additional bonus things after the Terry Brown years for people to buy.

The Power Windows box will have a working power window on the front. When you push the button, it will roll down to reveal that skinny blond dude looking out at you with that blank stare - the same blank stare a lot of older fans had on their faces when they heard the album for the first time - that sort of look of blank, existential despair. Inside will be a pair of binoculars that show pictures of the band members with their fascinating mid-80s haircuts.
  • Like 1

The Hold Your Fire box will feature a picture of a million synthesizer keyboards. Inside will be a tiny little replica guitar that's as limp as a wet noodle.
  • Like 1

The Power Windows box will have a working power window on the front. When you push the button, it will roll down to reveal that skinny blond dude looking out at you with that blank stare - the same blank stare a lot of older fans had on their faces when they heard the album for the first time - that sort of look of blank, existential despair. Inside will be a pair of binoculars that show pictures of the band members with their fascinating mid-80s haircuts.

Hahahahaha! I was 14 years old. I just saw The Who with The Clash in Oakland. Blew my mind. I was in love with "Moving Pictures" n 1981 but then I bought "Signals" on it's official release day.

I literally had a blank stare into my stereo with a few tears of sadness. Upon first listen I thought "Signals" was pure popSHITE!

I was devastated.

Yet I was able to get over it and move on and I eventually loved "Signals."

Probably why "GUP" and "Power Windows" and even "Hold Your Fire" are masterpieces to me.

Even at a very young age I was eventually able to evolve and grow with my band.

Yep!

RUSH is it. DUH!

The Hold Your Fire box will feature a picture of a million synthesizer keyboards. Inside will be a tiny little replica guitar that's as limp as a wet noodle.

You are fuckking hilarious and you yourself are on fire!

However!!!

Funny How I just mentioned "Hold Your Fire."

I must be wired differently than most.

I was able to grasp the synth era and fall in love with it.

Although being a drummer and learning all Rush music on the kit probably made me not care so much about the synth.

My brain has always been wired into Neil's drumming patterns.

I tune everything else out and follow the percussion.

So I guess some fans who are into the band and can focus on everything going on it can be a bit unsettling.

"Hold Your Fire" is one of my all time favorite albums to play the drums to. Crazy I know.

But so I am I! NOT!

It's kind of funny and I do love many of the Atlantic Recording albums. Presto, Roll The Bones and Counterparts are amazing.

But for my old ears, I love playing to every album by RUSH from the debut to "Hold."

I'm a Mercury Records New World Analog Digital Man Boy.

Whatever.

I can't wait to try out for the new Geddy and Alex album! Duh! Why do you think I'm going back to Toronto?

There are so many better drummers on the Earth than me.

But I have confidence and drive.

I'm ready to rock!

Are you forum fruity family?

Cash grab(s) for half baked Anniversary reissues...lame.

I said over on SHF in a Tom Petty thread someone should make an album called

“Money Grab With Bonus Tracks”. It may be unscrupulous but at least its honest.

Heck, ain't it crass to make money from art in the first place...? Artists are supposed to be dirt-poor ascetics, whose souls are fed by their art and whose bodies are occasionally fed by rich patrons, but just enough to keep them upright. Stupid contemporary artists, who do they think they are? Ooooh, look at me, I can play the guitar and sing! Give me lots of money so I can ride around in limousines and eat caviar! I'm so much better and richer than you because I'm a cool guy with a guitar!

Just kidding. I think.

• Like 1

It's one of the three best records they ever did.

Well, not in my top three, but it's got some great tunes.

No. It's in your top 3. I put it there.

• Like 1

Hemispheres, PeW and Moving Pix. There is no room in the top 3 for any other album.

• Like 2

No. It's in your top 3. I put it there.

Please stop diddling with my top three.

It's a rare instance that Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are liked even by musicians that RUSH influenced.

I'm not trying to be Eddie Trunk about this. I just can't see anything memorable about the band's output with additional bonus things after the Terry Brown years for people to buy.

Power Windows could be one of the more interesting releases.

Aside from the fact that it's a Top 3 album, we KNOW that demos exist, and that they recorded at least one full show, three songs from which showed up on "A Show of Hands." This would be a fantastic way to round out a 5.1 remix.

• Like 1