Anyone here enjoy Sarsaparilla? Is it Available where you live?

OldRUSHfan

Have you ever heard of this drink? I became popular in the U.S. in the 1800's, and was a patented medication at first. Later it became a soft drink that was popular. It was NOT derived from the Sarsaparilla plant, but Birch [tree] oil and Sassafras Root bark extract. It was made in a small way in the U.K. [still is] partially as a legacy of the Temperance movement, 'In the north of England, sarsaparilla is produced by Fitzpatrick's, Britain's last temperance bar, indicating its previous importance to the temperance movement there.' [Wikipedia] Ruth Tobias notes that it evokes images of "languid belles and parched cowboys"

I looked up Sarsaparilla a while ago, even though Wikipedia didn't exist at the time, in my Parent's edition [1968] of The Encyclopedia Britanica, and then later, when watching NCIS first season where

a bartender refers to Sarsaparilla as 'Root Beer'. Even though I'd had one,made by a company called Sioux City back in the '80s at a restaurant called Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burgers, a fast food place

that provided a cooler with pop from around the globe. puXAYyN.jpg

2VX2zJX.jpgTropical Banana SodalYDm4VZ.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

I'm pretty sure The Big Lebowski directly resulted in a sales spike of that company's "Sarsaparilla" :LOL:

It was the only reason I tried it. It's pretty good!

• Like 2

The wiki article says there is a Far-eastern drink called Sarsi that is Sarsaparilla based drink is said to be popular in SE Asia and Australia, the Philipines, Malaysia etc.

gOGKkVS.jpg :cheers:

:banana:

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

The wiki article says there is a Far-eastern drink called Sarsi that is Sarsaparilla based drink is said to be popular in SE Asia and Australia, the Philipines, Malaysia etc.

I've had that!

I bought it by mistake in SEA, thinking it was some sort of cola that would go well with vodka. :no:

I'm sure it's delicious, but it was not what I was looking for!

Are there any drinks that use root beer/sarsaparilla as a mix? A "Colonel Bogey" perhaps? :LOL:

1 part brandy

1 part sarsaparilla

1 part ice

1 part determination

• Like 1

I've had that!

I bought it by mistake in SEA, thinking it was some sort of cola that would go well with vodka. :no:

Are there any drinks that use root beer/sarsaparilla as a mix? A "Colonel Bogey" perhaps? :LOL:

1 part brandy

1 part sarsaparilla

1 part ice

1 part determination

Just found this:

http://bartenderapp.com/ingredients/root-beer/cocktails/list_by_ingredient

spiked-root-beer3.jpg

• Like 1

I've had that!

1 part brandy

1 part sarsaparilla

1 part ice

1 part determination

Just found this:

http://bartenderapp....t_by_ingredient

spiked-root-beer3.jpg

Wow.

BbMedvq.gif

• Like 1

Lots of interesting sodas down here due to the Latin Caribbean population. Tamarind, Tangerine, Inka Cola and other golden colas, ginger beers that make Vernor's taste weak, Jupina and other pineapple sodas, and "da king o' mixers, yeah mon", Ting grapefruit soda.
  • Like 2

Have you ever heard of this drink? I became popular in the U.S. in the 1800's, and was a patented medication at first. Later it became a soft drink that was popular. It was NOT derived from the Sarsaparilla plant, but Birch [tree] oil and Sassafras Root bark extract. It was made in a small way in the U.K. [still is] partially as a legacy of the Temperance movement, 'In the north of England, sarsaparilla is produced by Fitzpatrick's, Britain's last temperance bar, indicating its previous importance to the temperance movement there.' [Wikipedia] Ruth Tobias notes that it evokes images of "languid belles and parched cowboys"

I looked up Sarsaparilla a while ago, even though Wikipedia didn't exist at the time, in my Parent's edition [1968] of The Encyclopedia Britanica, and then later, when watching NCIS first season where

a bartender refers to Sarsaparilla as 'Root Beer'. Even though I'd had one,made by a company called Sioux City back in the '80s at a restaurant called Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burgers, a fast food place

that provided a cooler with pop from around the globe. puXAYyN.jpg

2VX2zJX.jpgTropical Banana SodalYDm4VZ.jpg

I've tried Root Beer, as a kid and I liked it. Dr Peppers also - I don't know if that's classed as a Sarsaparilla, or a variant. Interesting the ingredients use Roots - Root Beer. There is another I loved as a kid called Dandelion and Burdock - from the roots again! Apparently this drink dates back some 500 years ago! Some say it still tastes like it : ) Ironically it was set out to be healthy, now with all the sugar. Still like these types of tastes, my waistline disagrees.

• Like 2

I thought drinking Sarsparilla made you go blind?

Or was that Moonshine?

:o

Moonshine, otherwise known as 'Bathtub Gin' is the famous one for that result...

Y5kEZ0S.gif

So from what i just read, Sarsaparilla taste like a more medicinal Root Beer. Well, Root Beer tastes like germolene smells and I like that so chances are I would like it. Also Sarsaprilla has Wintergreen and I love wintergreen mints (although they are hard to get over here).