Eddie Trunk's top 20 Rush songs

zappafrank

43237936_2405776966106825_7702401977061212160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=60956315bd0e1f4a6fe7102e47680e60&oe=5C1F49E2

Making lists like this is pretty impossible when you love the band as much as I imagine we all do, but here are some quick thoughts:

#1 is way too pedestrian, IMO. Not trying to be snooty, but the song has never blown me away. I get why it's a crowd favorite, but for me it doesn't do much.

Red Barchetta also is too high, IMO. Again, the song doesn't excite me as much as other songs.

On the converse, another obvious choice for #1 - Tom Sawyer - would have been fine by me. Go figure.

La Villa needs to be higher. We're talking top 10.

Interesting to place Jacob's Ladder so high (if at all).

Regardless of level of fandom, the omission of Subdivisions is glaring.

No quibbles that Roll the Bones isn't on there. It's another one of those "take it or leave it" songs for me.

No opinion on Stick It Out being there - I just find it interesting it's there.

For me, the only potential fanboi inclusions would be The Garden or Headlong Flight.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Eddie Trunk is a piece of human shit.

Such a fraud.

Good for you brainwashed millennials to follow his every word and list.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

I met Eddie in Vegas after the Scorpions and Queensryche.

I purposely quizzed him for 5 minutes on rock and roll and metal.

The guy is a fuckking fraud.

Don't believe me.

Don't care.

Useless.

I met all the guys from Queensryche, Mikkey Dee from the Scorps who was so sweet and nice.

Even met Scott Ian that night. Not a big Anthrax fan but he was sooooooo cool!!!!

Eddie Trunk is a skunk. His rock and roll knowledge is that of a rotten walnut.

Real musicians know their shite.

Eddie Dump sucks arse.

I can't believe the guy actually talked to you and answered your questions for five minutes. What an asshole! :eh:

You missed the point. He's putting Trunk down because Trunk thinks he's this great wealth of knowledge when it comes to rock and metal. But all he really knows is the popular old school stuff. He doesn't try to expand his knowledge past that. Once grunge hit in the early 90s Trunk stopped paying attention to metal.

to be fair, you see that sort of that on this site as well

So once people hit their 30s and 40s, it’s possible they don’t follow the latest musical trends?

Bathory is in his early twenties, I am in my late. Neither of us particularly follow trends...so...your point?

43237936_2405776966106825_7702401977061212160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=60956315bd0e1f4a6fe7102e47680e60&oe=5C1F49E2

Making lists like this is pretty impossible when you love the band as much as I imagine we all do, but here are some quick thoughts:

#1 is way too pedestrian, IMO. Not trying to be snooty, but the song has never blown me away. I get why it's a crowd favorite, but for me it doesn't do much.

Red Barchetta also is too high, IMO. Again, the song doesn't excite me as much as other songs.

On the converse, another obvious choice for #1 - Tom Sawyer - would have been fine by me. Go figure.

No quibbles that Roll the Bones isn't on there. It's another one of those "take it or leave it" songs for me.

For me, the only potential fanboi inclusions would be The Garden or Headlong Flight.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Such a fraud.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Don't believe me.

Don't care.

Useless.

I met all the guys from Queensryche, Mikkey Dee from the Scorps who was so sweet and nice.

Even met Scott Ian that night. Not a big Anthrax fan but he was sooooooo cool!!!!

Eddie Dump sucks arse.

I can't believe the guy actually talked to you and answered your questions for five minutes. What an asshole! :eh:

You missed the point. He's putting Trunk down because Trunk thinks he's this great wealth of knowledge when it comes to rock and metal. But all he really knows is the popular old school stuff. He doesn't try to expand his knowledge past that. Once grunge hit in the early 90s Trunk stopped paying attention to metal.

So once people hit their 30s and 40s, it’s possible they don’t follow the latest musical trends?

Bathory is in his early twenties, I am in my late. Neither of us particularly follow trends...so...your point?

That Trunk and many of us on the forum weren’t in our teens when grunge hit. It’s really not surprising that bands and trends that started after that might not be our cup of tea.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Such a fraud.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Don't believe me.

Don't care.

Useless.

Eddie Dump sucks arse.

That Trunk and many of us on the forum weren’t in our teens when grunge hit. It’s really not surprising that bands and trends that started after that might not be our cup of tea.

Agreed I guess. I still gravitate towards music of my teens and what came before it.

I am quite happy with that to be honest.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Such a fraud.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Don't believe me.

Don't care.

Useless.

Eddie Dump sucks arse.

Agreed I guess. I still gravitate towards music of my teens and what came before it.

I am quite happy with that to be honest.

We all do I think. That’s why God created Sirius XM :)

When I was a 20-something I held a firm belief that there always have been and always will be great music from all cultures and times. I listened to everything I could and I maintained that for years.

In my 30's I began to fall behind anyway. I'm quite nearly 49 now and I am as far behind as ever. Nevertheless I maintain that philosophy. I'm still open to anything new and I still can readily get into things I've never heard before. I enjoy that passion and I hope it never goes away. I still spend a lot of time actively looking for new things to listen to.

But unfortunately something does happen with age. I'm pretty sure the main thing that happens is life+time. Our lives hand us ever increasing things that we must do, and advancing time means we already have a wealth of music from before that we want to listen to again. When everything is new you have room for anything, but when you already love 500 bands you have less room for new bands.

The conceit that 'no one makes good music anymore' always seemed intentionally obtuse and aggressively defensive. Of course people make great music now. And I still intend to listen.

• Like 2

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Such a fraud.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Don't believe me.

Don't care.

Useless.

Eddie Dump sucks arse.

I think J2112 is saying it's just a little odd for a guy whose job was, up to that point, to keep up with new metal.

personally, I don't really give a shit if someone thinks art died the moment nevermind was released, and it's hard for me to talk about trunk as if he's a war criminal or something.

• Like 1

I'm 33. technecally past my new music discovery Age according to some studies, lol.

hasn't happened to me yet.....not saying it won't. i think it's different for everybody.

Mick

Provided you have enough disposable income you are just hitting your prime!

At 52 i am sit into new music but its tempered by not making as much money as i did earlier and spending money on mtn biking.

Edited by tangy

Eddie Trunk should be in Goodfellas.

Yeah put in a trunk. Permanently.

i would love to have seen joe Pesci just go to town on this guy, lol

"Think ya know metal....ya fukking moron?????!!!"

lol.

i hated that metal show BECAUSE of Trunk. just verbal diarrhea every second.

Mick

I love That Metal Show tbh.

• Like 1

When I was a 20-something I held a firm belief that there always have been and always will be great music from all cultures and times. I listened to everything I could and I maintained that for years.

In my 30's I began to fall behind anyway. I'm quite nearly 49 now and I am as far behind as ever. Nevertheless I maintain that philosophy. I'm still open to anything new and I still can readily get into things I've never heard before. I enjoy that passion and I hope it never goes away. I still spend a lot of time actively looking for new things to listen to.

But unfortunately something does happen with age. I'm pretty sure the main thing that happens is life+time. Our lives hand us ever increasing things that we must do, and advancing time means we already have a wealth of music from before that we want to listen to again. When everything is new you have room for anything, but when you already love 500 bands you have less room for new bands.

The conceit that 'no one makes good music anymore' always seemed intentionally obtuse and aggressively defensive. Of course people make great music now. And I still intend to listen.

Great post amigo

• Like 1

I'm 33. technecally past my new music discovery Age according to some studies, lol.

hasn't happened to me yet.....not saying it won't. i think it's different for everybody.

Mick

Eddie Trunk should be in Goodfellas.

Yeah put in a trunk. Permanently.

i would love to have seen joe Pesci just go to town on this guy, lol

"Think ya know metal....ya fukking moron?????!!!"

lol.

i hated that metal show BECAUSE of Trunk. just verbal diarrhea every second.

Mick

I love That Metal Show tbh.

Please don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the show too.

But then I met the clueless jerk off in Vegas.

Pat, JB, myself and many other awesome Rush Forum Members on here blow that fraud away. JMO

Myles makes Eddie Trunk look like a dumbass wanna be heavy metal drunk! JMO!

Why all the hate for Eddie? You do realize he's been in the biz for over 35 years....he was the first to play Metallica on the radio. The Metal Show? Geddy was a guest.

He has a great show on Volume Sirius XM where he talks about Rock music for 2 hours...he's flying the Rock Flag high.

Anyway, you don't have to agree with Ed's top 20, the idea is to spark conversation and maybe create your own list.

• Like 1

Why all the hate for Eddie? You do realize he's been in the biz for over 35 years....he was the first to play Metallica on the radio. The Metal Show? Geddy was a guest.

He has a great show on Volume Sirius XM where he talks about Rock music for 2 hours...he's flying the Rock Flag high.

Anyway, you don't have to agree with Ed's top 20, the idea is to spark conversation and maybe create your own list.

Eddie's podcast is very good. He's terrific at interviewing musicians because he's a genuine fan and asks questions he and other fans are actually interested in rather than just what you'd expect an interviewer to ask.

Eddie's podcast is very good. He's terrific at interviewing musicians because he's a genuine fan and asks questions he and other fans are actually interested in rather than just what you'd expect an interviewer to ask.

It's not really hate just rank indifference. The guy is able to make some sort of living at it so good for him, The last time I was motivated to listen to the guy was earlier in the year when he did his prog cruise interviews. That was a trip.

He's a good interviewer when he knows who he's interviewing, but his musical taste and my musical taste doesn't cross over all that much. I actually used to listen to the guy at least semi-regularly years ago but the story and the music doesn't change all that much so I don't feel any urge to continue. I think it's great to be able to make a career out of doing something you love so I don't hate that.

I've only listened to Trunk a few times but I disagree with the poster that says he's a fraud. He knows a ton and likes what he likes. If he hasn't kept up on new heavy bands well I can understand. I'm over 50 and I stopped pursuing new band sometime in the early nineties. Not saying that no one makes good music or anything like that, I just don't have the energy to have enthusiasm for young band. It's just not possible to get as excited about a new band now like I did in my teens and early 20's. Love listening and collecting the stuff from my era though.

Back to Trunk's list. Not bad at all would match about half of what I would pick