Hemisphere's 40th Anniversary Edition - Pre-Orders Now available.

Jag2112

Has anyone taken delivery on this yet? I've been on the fence about this purchase but will pull the trigger if the Pink Pop material sounds better and is expanded.

If you want it because it's one of the best sounding versions of Hemispheres out there (and I think it is) then I would get it. If you want it just for disc two I wouldn't bother. There is nothing on there that you don't already own. I don't think it sounds better, but your mileage may vary.

So I just received the triple record set for Christmas, and I was wondering at something. In the liner notes if mentions Alex plays a Rowland guitar synthesizer on the album. I’ve never heard of this previously, or frankly that he’d played one on any Rush record. Does anyone know which song he uses it on, and approximately when so I can listen for it?

Love the package personally. I’m quite liking these 40th anniversary packages, if only for the gorgeous liner note books that go into detail on every song. Also nice to finally own this legend on vinyl! :)

So I just received the triple record set for Christmas, and I was wondering at something. In the liner notes if mentions Alex plays a Rowland guitar synthesizer on the album. I’ve never heard of this previously, or frankly that he’d played one on any Rush record. Does anyone know which song he uses it on, and approximately when so I can listen for it?

Love the package personally. I’m quite liking these 40th anniversary packages, if only for the gorgeous liner note books that go into detail on every song. Also nice to finally own this legend on vinyl! :)

How many sets have we had so far?

I think they started with 2112, so three. Don’t know what they’ll do next year, since 79 didn’t have an album release. Maybe a Presto 30th Annoversary set?

See the Guitar Player 1980 interview. He's not "keen on it" He used it on Side 1 for some "texture." Has a "Gretchy sort of sound."

• Like 1

See the Guitar Player 1980 interview. He's not "keen on it" He used it on Side 1 for some "texture." Has a "Gretchy sort of sound."

I’ll check it out! Oh btw, in case the interview doesn’t say where on side 1 it is, do you happen to know what part it’s in?

I think they started with 2112, so three. Don’t know what they’ll do next year, since 79 didn’t have an album release. Maybe a Presto 30th Annoversary set?

If you count the debut album box set, it's four. That didn't have any extra music but it had a bunch of cool reproductions of promo posters, etc. They skipped Fly by Night and Caress of Steel.

I wonder how far they're going to go in the discography. So far, all the albums they've done reissues for have been the classics that have lasting staying power. They're obviously going to do the next three (Permanent Waves, MP, Signals), but are they going to go further into the 80s? How many people are actually going to buy a Hold Your Fire or Presto deluxe reissue for $150?

• Like 1

Hello,

does anybody here has the Super Deluxe edition? And if so, don't you feel both the box and the book surface kind of weird? whe I touch mine, silfer stains appear in what seems to be fingerprints, even If I just washed my hands..... The more I triy to keep that box clean, the dirtier it gets...

Do you have the same problem?

thanks

Jose

If you count the debut album box set, it's four. That didn't have any extra music but it had a bunch of cool reproductions of promo posters, etc. They skipped Fly by Night and Caress of Steel.

I wonder how far they're going to go in the discography. So far, all the albums they've done reissues for have been the classics that have lasting staying power. They're obviously going to do the next three (Permanent Waves, MP, Signals), but are they going to go further into the 80s? How many people are actually going to buy a Hold Your Fire or Presto deluxe reissue for $150?

I’d buy a Presto one in a heartbeat. That’s a great album ( if merely good by Rush’s standards ), and one I don’t believe has ever seen a vinyl release, correct?

Hello,

does anybody here has the Super Deluxe edition? And if so, don't you feel both the box and the book surface kind of weird? whe I touch mine, silfer stains appear in what seems to be fingerprints, even If I just washed my hands..... The more I triy to keep that box clean, the dirtier it gets...

Do you have the same problem?

thanks

Jose

I only have the triple vinyl edition and I’m not having this issue, that sounds really unfortunate though :(

I’d buy a Presto one in a heartbeat. That’s a great album ( if merely good by Rush’s standards ), and one I don’t believe has ever seen a vinyl release, correct?

It's out on vinyl. They reissued it in 2015 along with the rest of the catalog https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Vinyl-Rush/dp/B015NOT97M/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1545892452&sr=8-1

My point is, is it worth it to do new artwork and dig up archival stuff and do a huge deluxe box set, compared to how many people will be lining up to pay $150 for it, for an album that didn't make much of an impact commercially when it came out and isn't held up now as one of their better ones? I'd obviously buy it if they put it out, but at a certain point they might have to decide some of these albums aren't worth giving the same treatment as AFTK and Hemispheres.

• Like 1

I’ll check it out! Oh btw, in case the interview doesn’t say where on side 1 it is, do you happen to know what part it’s in?

I don't think he ever said, but I could be mistaken.

The first one is my favorite. Very tastefully done. Would have been nice to have a CD of the 2015 Magee remaster, but that hadn't been released yet. The first single would have been a nice touch too, but I'm not sure Geddy wants anyone to have that anymore.

I'd love to have each of the 2015's released on CD eventually. The bonus stuff so far isn't all that impressive except for the alternate Massey Hall tracks and the full Hammersmith show.

Darn. I just listened to Hems on headphones and couldn’t find anything I thought sounded like it. Was hoping you knew, lol. One day I’ll figure it out.

• Like 1

Darn. I just listened to Hems on headphones and couldn’t find anything I thought sounded like it. Was hoping you knew, lol. One day I’ll figure it out.

Delayed answer here (geddit?) ;)

I'm pretty sure the guitar synth is used during the "I have memory and awareness..." section.

Edited by Lurkst

It's the one 40th Anniversary set I never purchased and it's my favorite Rush album. The Tucson 2112 running slow is not that surprising, the live version of The Twilight Zone on the 2112 Anniversary set ran at the wrong speed as well. In fact one of the vinyl rips of the reissue set (FBN?) ran at the wrong speed as well.
  • Like 1

Reviving an old topic, not sure if this was discussed??  I tried searching but couldn't find....  anyway...

The point is that "2112" from Hemispheres 40th Anniversary, as advertised on Rush Backstage Club link where is says:

"LP 3 – SIDE F
Live in Arizona – November 20, 1978
1. 2112*"

this is surely incorrect -- the recording of 2112 certainly appears to be taken from the May 28, 1979 Stadhalle, Offenbach, Germany performance

and as mentioned above, this version on Hemispheres 40th Anniversary plays back a little slow which is unfortunate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, currygoat11 said:

Reviving an old topic, not sure if this was discussed??  I tried searching but couldn't find....  anyway...

The point is that "2112" from Hemispheres 40th Anniversary, as advertised on Rush Backstage Club link where is says:

"LP 3 – SIDE F
Live in Arizona – November 20, 1978
1. 2112*"

this is surely incorrect -- the recording of 2112 certainly appears to be taken from the May 28, 1979 Stadhalle, Offenbach, Germany performance

and as mentioned above, this version on Hemispheres 40th Anniversary plays back a little slow which is unfortunate.

Yeah that was sloppy labeling, it’s definitely the Germany show, “Black Forest” bootleg.

• Like 1