What Rush songs and/or albums had you hooked on the first listen, as opposed to having to listen to it many times before it got a grip on you?

rftag

A lot of Rush fans say that some songs or albums shouldn't be expected to be loved on the first listen but require multiple listens in order to 'get'.

There is certainly some truth to this. I considered "Camera Eye" filler for years before it eventually won me over (it's now been one of my favorite songs for years).

But the contrarian argument to this of course is that some of their songs and albums just aren't very good but emotionally committed fans will listen to their subpar stuff again and again and again until they find a way to like it, and then criticize those who disagree as not being sophisticated enough to understand why the song or album isn't as bad as it sounds.

From my own experience, I think both are true. There are definitely great songs, by Rush and other bands,that are too complex or different to 'get' on the first listen, and do require multiple listens to 'get'.

But sometimes the songs or albums in question do indeed suck and the argument that it requires multiple listens to 'get' is either pretentious bullshit or a reflection of the fact that if one is sufficiently emotionally committed to a band they can and will ultimately convince themself that unremarkable or even really bad music is nevertheless remarkable and even really good music.

Thoughts?

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

After first seeing Rush on late night TV in 1977, I proceeded to nag my parents every time we went into a store to buy a Rush album ..

Within a few weeks, I had all of 'em up to that point - Debut thru A Farewell To Kings .. and even though I might have been too young to appreciate everything in those vinyl grooves, I loved all of it .. Music, stories, esp Geddy's voice and the diversity in Alex's playing ..

Hemispheres and Permanent Waves were hits right off the bat w/ me, esp Hemi

But there was some underlying vibe on Permanent Waves - I'm not going to say that I didn;t appreciate or like, but in retrospect, I think it was that Geddy has somewhat come back down to earth with his vocals and the hysteria ..... This change was blunted by the fact that it would be May 1980 when I first saw them live - and that was a life altering experience ...

As I saw the live more, and songs from Moving Pictures began replacing some of my favorites - songs that had bonded me w/ the band - this was really the first change in the band that I didn;t particularly care for .....

I didn;t like Signals and I hated Grace when they first came out ..

Both Signals and Grace have grown on me, and I have an appreciation for both that is more than just nostalgia .....

Vapor Trails is one that has grown on me a lot too .... I do like Vapor Trails and Freeze is one of the songs I think of when the topic of "most underrated" comes up ...

The one song that really jumps out is Vital Signs .... Vital Signs was the song that sort of signaled ( .. ) the transition Rush was making, and at the time, I disliked it intensely .... But today, it could easily fit into my Top 10, definitely Top 20 Rush songs .... Some of Neil best lyrics in that one IMHO

There is a dark quality about Vital Signs that I can appreciate now ... That quality, unfortunately, I feel is missing from most their other 80s output

• Like 2

I'm basically a dumbass hesher with 90% of my shirts being black and hair to my belly button. first time I tried listening to a pirated copy of signals I thought it was patrick bateman's workout soundtrack or some shit. but once I actually listened to it and GUP I loved them both
  • Like 1

For me it was the opening bars of Tom Sawyer.

I bought Moving Pictures on a whim and I had no idea what too expect. Within moments of the song starting I kept thinking "this was 1981...music sounded like that?". Mind blown! Within a year I owned nearly every single album.

More recently, after a couple of years break, I started listening to them again. A Farewell To Kings and Roll The Bones brought me back. Then Hemispheres finally grew on me and now it's one of my very favourite Rush albums!

I'm basically a dumbass hesher with 90% of my shirts being black and hair to my belly button. first time I tried listening to a pirated copy of signals I thought it was patrick bateman's workout soundtrack or some shit. but once I actually listened to it and GUP I loved them both

I am still not much of a Signals fan, but I can accept any argument defending Grace Under Pressure as the bands best album. Rush have a few albums I think easily deserve that award, GUP is way up high on that list!

Debut, CoS, 2112, AFTK, PeW, Signals, PoW, Presto, and CA all clicked immediately. MP, Hems, GuP, CP were my biggest growers. FBN, HYF, T4E, VT, SnA never really moved up or down but I always did like. RTB has never been better than their worst album to me, though it has some good songs.

Debut, CoS, 2112, AFTK, PeW, Signals, PoW, Presto, and CA all clicked immediately. MP, Hems, GuP, CP were my biggest growers. FBN, HYF, T4E, VT, SnA never really moved up or down but I always did like. RTB has never been better than their worst album to me, though it has some good songs.

Roll The Bones is a f***ing classic!

Test For Echo is shite.

Fresh out of school,first job,shared a flat with a bloke who had a monster record collection.Played me Hemispheres which had just been released.I was hooked.Every album since I have loved despite all the stylistic changes,until Vapor Trails.I force myself to listen to it all the way through to this day but it has grown on me, both versions.It will never be Hem,MP,GUP,2112,etc but it’s ok.

Most of the albums immediately clicked.

The ones that didn’t click right away: Caress of Steel, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, and Snakes & Arrows.

Caress, Grace, and HYF are very enjoyable to me these days and have been for awhile now. Snakes still doesn’t click!

Albums that used to click but now don’t: Bones & Test.

P/g CA. 2112. Signals , cos all were incredible on 1 st listen. All the other albums took time or had songs that did. Hemispheres took the most time/ listens but now it’s a top 3 album Edited by Red3angel

Very few had me on first listen. Some of the newer stuff did more than the classic era. I liked Caravan, Far Cry, and Roll the Bknes immediately.

I’ll never forget how hard it was to.”get” Hemisoheres. I had Moving Pictured and signals alresdy and loved them. My buddy insisted that Hemispheres be next. It took a few good listens, but when it finally clicked, I was completely blown away and obsessed. I did everything possible to own the rest of the catalog. Caress of Steel was a chore to try to love. That was a great time

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone