Geddy joined Rush 50 years ago today

Jag2112

One of the great things I like about Rush was their stability in the line up after Neil joined.I remember there was talk about adding a keyboard player(Andy Richards??)around HYF era.I really don’t like it when bands change members.Bands like Pink Floyd and Dire Straits got fat with a gazillion extras onstage.Fot Rush its just been those three guys up there with a little’saved by technology’ helping them fill out the sound.Fifty years is a long time in a marriage and Geddy is still a sprightly young lad.
  • Like 6

One of the things I love about Rush is the fact that Geddy and Alex started together when they were kids. Can you imagine what it must have been like... somewhere around the AFTK Tour when they were headlining 5,000 - 12,000 seat venues... They MUST have, at least a few times, looked at each other and said, "Holy shit, we actually made it!" They were only 24 during that tour. I couldn't imagine.
  • Like 4

One of the things I love about Rush is the fact that Geddy and Alex started together when they were kids. Can you imagine what it must have been like... somewhere around the AFTK Tour when they were headlining 5,000 - 12,000 seat venues... They MUST have, at least a few times, looked at each other and said, "Holy shit, we actually made it!" They were only 24 during that tour. I couldn't imagine.

Well put.

Imagine August 17, 1974 when Geddy was 21, Alex was 20, and Neil had joined less than 3 weeks prior. Why that date? Because it’s the earliest concert date I could find with them playing a big arena. They were to share the night with Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann at the Charleston Civic Center which could then seat between 7000-9000. This was probably an even bigger night than any on the AFTK tour since it truly was the start of their arena life.

https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/uriah-heep-rush-manfred-mann-s-earth-band

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Well put.

Imagine August 17, 1974 when Geddy was 21, Alex was 20, and Neil had joined less than 3 weeks prior. Why that date? Because it’s the earliest concert date I could find with them playing a big arena. They were to share the night with Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann at the Charleston Civic Center which could then seat between 7000-9000. This was probably an even bigger night than any on the AFTK tour since it truly was the start of their arena life.

https://www.concerta...nn-s-earth-band

Actually, their first concert together was a couple days earlier - on August 14th, 1974 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. This was the very first show with Neil.

Source:

https://www.cygnus-x...rdates.php#RUSH

Edited by Jag2112
  • Like 3

Well put.

Actually, their first concert together was a couple days earlier - on August 14th, 1974 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. This was the very first show with Neil.

Source:

I love the bootleg for that show." Please welcome from Toronto Canada... Rush!"

pause.. "who???"

• Like 1

Well put.

Source:

:cheers:

I thought there was one before the one I posted. I just couldn’t find it.

:cheers:

So so young they were at that time.

• Like 1

So now wait. Was this BEFORE Alex and the other "original" Rush members had kicked Geddy out of the band? So Geddy's original join date? Or is this 50 years from when Geddy REjoined the band? This matters. It really does. I gots to know. I jist gots to know.

This is the 'anniversary' of when Geddy first joined the band, which was one week after Alex, John, and Jeff Jones performed live under the name of 'Rush' for the first time.

Edited by Jag2112
  • Like 2

Have to think that happened at least once on 8/1/15

There was a Rush before Geddy joined?

Yes, and it was the best version of the band ever.

Who knows, if Jeff had stayed on, Lunatic Fringe could have been a Rush song! :)

Someone named Jeff used to be in Rush?

Hey, that's my name.

I know a guy named Jeff

My dads name is Jeff. Actually its not but thats what people call him.

• Like 1