The Beatles latest recording's. 94/95 Whats your favorite?

condemned2bfree

I recently heard the "Now And Then" song recorded at the reunion recording sessions 1994 -95 by The Beatles. I'd never heard it before and it sounds absolutely beautiful. Soulful, unorthodox and ethereal - wonderful. Other songs were the familiar Real Love, Free As A Bird and "Grow old with me" - which may be Now and Then- I'm not sure.

Now And Then really is an amazing song and from what I can gather was shelved- the others took priority being released as singles.

I get that Now And Then isn't as immediate as the other two, but for me its better. I wonder whether its because I'm so familiar

with the other two -hearing them from 1995, they were inescapable. Now and Then making impact by being "new"

Time will tell, but this song is already very special to me in ways the others just aren't.

John was so good at writing music!

Anyway I was just wondering what you folks thought of this song, along with the other "Threetles" songs from this recording session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPE795oaw6Y.

• Like 1

I've only heard free as a bird and real love. I didn't care much for free as a bird but I like the other one. Having John Paul and George each share a lead vocal line I thought was tacky. I don't believe that happened once on any of their original recordings.

Real Love was the best. Free As a Bird was good but more Wilbury-ish than Beatle-esque. I read they ditched Now and Then cause George didn't think it was strong enough. But Paul has hinted at finishing it off and releasing it officially. So we will see.
  • Like 2

Real Love was the best. Free As a Bird was good but more Wilbury-ish than Beatle-esque. I read they ditched Now and Then cause George didn't think it was strong enough. But Paul has hinted at finishing it off and releasing it officially. So we will see.

I hope Now And Then does get produced properly. The version that is roaming about is the rough unfinished version that was ditched. Yeah George wasn't keen on it.

Did you hear the story behind Now and Then, that "for Paul" was written on the demo by John? Seemingly going towards making up after falling out.

Free as a Bird does sound Wilbury ish, a bit pedestrian to me, its still great. I just love Now and Then and hope they go back to it, to finish it off. I think it warrants it.

• Like 2

"Real Love" is a fully realized song. "Free as a Bird" was an experiment, a successful one but lacking the cohesion that "Real Love" has. Word is that George Harrison realized "Now and Then" would have been the less successful song. He was probably right.
  • Like 3

"Real Love" is a fully realized song. "Free as a Bird" was an experiment, a successful one but lacking the cohesion that "Real Love" has. Word is that George Harrison realized "Now and Then" would have been the less successful song. He was probably right.

Free as A Bird and Real Love do have the disirable elements that can lead to success. As Lynne pointed out with "Now And Then" - orthodox verse and chorus's are just not there. Now And Then is very unusual that way, and would likely not be accepted readily by the public. But there is more to it for me, and something very special

with Now And Then.

This is why I love Now and Then. Its just pure emotion and melody without traditional constraints, expressed beautifully by John Lennon.

• Like 2

I'd never heard this one before. Thanks!

Btw, the link posted above is a fan-finished version -- which is actually quite good!

The other "new" tunes are fine and dandy but never grabbed me. I'm not a huge Jeff Lynne fan, and his "sound" is quite present, to my ears.

Loved "Anthology". Just picked up the book. It's huge!

• Like 3

Btw, the link posted above is a fan-finished version -- which is actually quite good!

The other "new" tunes are fine and dandy but never grabbed me. I'm not a huge Jeff Lynne fan, and his "sound" is quite present, to my ears.

Yes I have just seen its a fan finished version, which does sound really very good.

The only other version I have heard is the stripped down demo version, which sounds quite sombre in comparison. There is, as mentioned, talk of doing this song properly in the future. I hope this gets realised.

• Like 2

I hope Now And Then does get produced properly. The version that is roaming about is the rough unfinished version that was ditched. Yeah George wasn't keen on it.

Did you hear the story behind Now and Then, that "for Paul" was written on the demo by John? Seemingly going towards making up after falling out.

Free as a Bird does sound Wilbury ish, a bit pedestrian to me, its still great. I just love Now and Then and hope they go back to it, to finish it off. I think it warrants it.

Yea I had heard the "For Paul" story. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

I have that book- it's amazing!

• Like 2

Segue, What was your intention with your post? I must admit it gave me a 'WTH' reaction as well as other folks...

ttgP6E7.gif

Just got my copy of the single, "Free As A Bird". I love it as much as all the other Beatle material! I also enjoyed Paul and Ringo's talk on the subject on working with Jeff Lynne. He always wanted to be a Beatle...

zYW8fGq.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1