Top Five Albums Of Each Year 2000-2009: 2001

Segue Myles

So again! Now onto 2001! Music is slowly getting better this year...

1. Lacuna Coil- Unleashed Memories

2. Paradise Lost- Symbol Of Life

3. Jimmy Eat World- Bleed American

4. Sonata Arctica- Silence

5. No Doubt- Rock Steady

Honourable mentions:

Aaliyah- Aaliyah

Destiny's Child- Survivor

• Like 2

Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

Micro Cuts from this album is takes the idea of fusing rock and opera even more literally than Queen ever did, and coming from me this is the highest of compliments.

• Like 2

Micro Cuts from this album is takes the idea of fusing rock and opera even more literally than Queen ever did, and coming from me this is the highest of compliments.

Yeah...Nightwish were doing it before this and doing it better.

• Like 3

So, this album is so good it takes up all five spots for the year?

• Like 3

Yeah...Nightwish were doing it before this and doing it better.

Haven’t taken it upon myself to check out Nightwish yet, so buddy, I can’t agree or disagree with you. Can we agree that OoS is a killer album and easily one of Muse’s best?

And Muse being my third favorite band, yeah that pretty much gives it all five spots for the year for me, mainly considering I just don’t have a lot of 00’s albums under my listening belt. Did Toxicity come out in 01? How about I give that number two and leave the other three to be determined at a later date?

But yeah. OoS is a “pwoper” classic to me, especially in a decade where I’ve heard so few.

Okay wait wait, I found a few more:

1. Origin Of Symmetry - Muse

2. Is This It - The Strokes

3. Toxicity - System Of A Down

4. White Blood Cells - The White Stripes

And I don’t think this albums is deserving of a top five spot, but for name recognition, being a solid comeback, and having a couple great singles, Weezer’s Green Album could make that fifth spot on a good day. I haven’t heard anything else from this year deserving of being in the top 5.

And I don’t think this albums is deserving of a top five spot, but for name recognition, being a solid comeback, and having a couple great singles, Weezer’s Green Album could make that fifth spot on a good day. I haven’t heard anything else from this year deserving of being in the top 5.

I'm still working on my list but I'm pretty sure Toxicity will make it in.

• Like 1

I'm still working on my list but I'm pretty sure Toxicity will make it in.

What an album opening.

DUHN!

(what did it stop? is my player bro--)

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN !!!

there it is!

• Like 1

Iced Earth - Horror Show

Alice Cooper - Dragontown

Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories

Slipknot - Iowa

System Of A Down - Toxicity

Honorable mentions:

Rob Zombie - The Sinister Urge

Ozzy Osbourne - Down To Earth

Megadeth - The World Needs A Hero

• Like 2

Ben Folds - Rockin The Suburbs

Bob Dylan - Love And Theft

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Gorillaz

Honorable mention: Alicia Keys - Songs In A Minor

Oh gosh...I love Alicia Keys! I cannot believe I forgot this...

Iced Earth - Horror Show

Slipknot - Iowa

Honorable mentions:

You know...I've been really dismissive of Slipknot. I've always enjoyed them but quietly felt like they weren't a band to take super seriously. Recently I've come back to them and it's like I've never properly listened to them before. They are far more talented and creative than I ever realised! Same goes for Linkin Park.

Also you have Unleashed Memories. In my honest opinion, their best album. In my mind it's the only album I love as much as Kamracode by anyone. But we all have different ways of viewing and loving music.

I feel like the only person who dislikes System Of A Down...

How are you approaching them? I find it best to look for the comedy in their music first, then get to the substance of the really cool messages and musical ideas afterwards. I definitely didn't quite get the hype around them at first, when I was expecting every song to be Chop Suey. But once I tried just liking the songs for what they are, they revealed new layers of complexity and interest I hadn't been able to parse out when I was expecting everything to be as obvious as Chop Suey. Also, I feel like they're definitely a band you can bang your head to, and they can be very heavy when they want, but they aren't actually concerned with being metal for the sake of being metal, and more because its a good platform for their musical and lyrical ideas.

• Like 2

How are you approaching them? I find it best to look for the comedy in their music first, then get to the substance of the really cool messages and musical ideas afterwards. I definitely didn't quite get the hype around them at first, when I was expecting every song to be Chop Suey. But once I tried just liking the songs for what they are, they revealed new layers of complexity and interest I hadn't been able to parse out when I was expecting everything to be as obvious as Chop Suey. Also, I feel like they're definitely a band you can bang your head to, and they can be very heavy when they want, but they aren't actually concerned with being metal for the sake of being metal, and more because its a good platform for their musical and lyrical ideas.

I think the music is really annoying, hate the vocals, it's not a sound for me at all. I'm sure their is plenty of skill and craft, they are talented I have no doubt. But nearly two decades of hearing their music...eew...

I think the music is really annoying, hate the vocals, it's not a sound for me at all. I'm sure their is plenty of skill and craft, they are talented I have no doubt. But nearly two decades of hearing their music...eew...

Oh, I thought it was one of those things that you just couldn't get into, but it sounds like more of an over exposure after a bad first impression thing. Can't help you there, lol.

Oh, I thought it was one of those things that you just couldn't get into, but it sounds like more of an over exposure after a bad first impression thing. Can't help you there, lol.

I have heard nearly all their albums too...but...eugh...I tried though.

• Like 1

Iced Earth - Horror Show

Slipknot - Iowa

Honorable mentions:

You know...I've been really dismissive of Slipknot. I've always enjoyed them but quietly felt like they weren't a band to take super seriously. Recently I've come back to them and it's like I've never properly listened to them before. They are far more talented and creative than I ever realised! Same goes for Linkin Park.

Also you have Unleashed Memories. In my honest opinion, their best album. In my mind it's the only album I love as much as Kamracode by anyone. But we all have different ways of viewing and loving music.

Slipknot is dismissed by a lot of people. They are this strange brew of everything. They're metal, thrash, punk and a little bit of hip hop all rolled into one. So, I understand their wide appeal but also get those that don't like them. You never knew exactly what you would get with each album. Just that it would be their crazy mix of everything that they somehow made work.

System is very similar. They have their own identity but there's just a strange mix of everything that shouldn't work but does.

Edited by J2112YYZ