What is it about Rush that turns people off?

rftag

The people that I know who hate Rushhave two basic reasons.

The first is the voice. I understand that. I don't think he has a good voice either. It didn't turn me off, but I'd put dozens of people ahead of him.

The second is the music. The people I'm referring to are big fans of all sorts of music. It's convenient and reassuring to dismiss their dislike as being from people who like simple familiar music, but the reality is they often find the complexity a distraction and even sometimes pretensious. They get that Rush can play, and are turned off by the showing off.

I don't agree, but nevertheless it's a honest opinion.

People who think Rush are pretentious are probably the same ones who think being stupid is a good thing.

They often seem to be quite impressed by the music, but inevitably say "the voice kills it."

When I first discovered Rush 40 years ago, Geddy’s voice irritated me quite a bit. I learned to appreciate and respect it, and then to like it a lot. Today, I couldn’t imagine any other singer singing Rush songs.

So I totally understand how his voice would turn some people off. It’s unique, and anything truly unique will always turn some people off.

• Like 1

it's easy to forget they're generally a well-respected, influential group. their haters are really vocal, probably because the devotion of certain fans reaches that grateful dead/phish level of fanaticism, but there's a reason they sold out arenas consistently for around 35 years. I wouldn't worry about it - you either dig it or you don't. there's people who think the beatles suck, people who hate led zeppelin, people who hate black sabbath, people who don't like cheeseburgers, pizza, chocolate... f**k them, who cares?

I think the Beatles are highly overrated, I don’t like Black Sabbath and I loathe Chicago Style Pizza.

You think the Beatles are highly overrated, don't like Sabbath, and like the synth era? :facepalm:

You're right about the casserole though. ;)

My first experience of rush was hearing a little bit of hemispheres on someone else's stereo, at time was into slightly more 'normal' stuff like queen/elo and just thought wow that's a bit too esoteric for me

A while later someone offered me a copy of 2112 and advised me to read the sleeve lyrics while listening to the story and that was it, instant click. Asked the guy if he had any more and he gave me Permanent Waves

Enough done. life. changed.

• Like 2

Everyone that I’ve tried to indoctrinate (if you’re in my car you’re listening to Rush bitch!) just can’t get past Ged’s voice.

I can appreciate that because it’s the same with me for a lot of the various metal genres and the growling, Cookie Monster “vocals”...hate it, can’t stand it, won’t listen to it regardless of how impressive their musicianship might be.

I’m also that way with James LaBrie...just cannot stand his voice. But I do love Dickinson’s operatic style. So it really makes no sense and is totally subjective to the listener.

• Like 2

it's easy to forget they're generally a well-respected, influential group. their haters are really vocal, probably because the devotion of certain fans reaches that grateful dead/phish level of fanaticism, but there's a reason they sold out arenas consistently for around 35 years. I wouldn't worry about it - you either dig it or you don't. there's people who think the beatles suck, people who hate led zeppelin, people who hate black sabbath, people who don't like cheeseburgers, pizza, chocolate... f**k them, who cares?

I think the Beatles are highly overrated, I don’t like Black Sabbath and I loathe Chicago Style Pizza.

You think the Beatles are highly overrated, don't like Sabbath, and like the synth era? :facepalm:

You're right about the casserole though. ;)

Casserole?!?!? BLASPHEMY on a Sunday!!!

Everyone that I’ve tried to indoctrinate (if you’re in my car you’re listening to Rush bitch!) just can’t get past Ged’s voice.

I can appreciate that because it’s the same with me for a lot of the various metal genres and the growling, Cookie Monster “vocals”...hate it, can’t stand it, won’t listen to it regardless of how impressive their musicianship might be.

I’m also that way with James LaBrie...just cannot stand his voice. But I do love Dickinson’s operatic style. So it really makes no sense and is totally subjective to the listener.

I am right there with you on the Cookie Monster vocals. Instant turn-off.

I am right there with you on the Cookie Monster vocals. Instant turn-off.

Yeah, I no longer give that stuff a chance.

• Like 2

My first experience of rush was hearing a little bit of hemispheres on someone else's stereo, at time was into slightly more 'normal' stuff like queen/elo and just thought wow that's a bit too esoteric for me

A while later someone offered me a copy of 2112 and advised me to read the sleeve lyrics while listening to the story and that was it, instant click. Asked the guy if he had any more and he gave me Permanent Waves

Enough done. life. changed.

Similar first experience here. It was a loaned copy of 2112, followed up by Signals. I was also an ELO fan, I liked their technical expertise. It drove my family crazy.

• Like 1

Going back to middle school - a 6th grade kid entering a school with kids who, at the time, may as well have been adults .. All of a sudden, the odd and obscure bands that I liked that no one else seemed to know about were either loved or hated by the throngs of older kids .... and back then, Rush was disliked by the kids who like prog - Genesis, ELP, Yes fans didn;t like Rush because they were a grating, glorified bar band .....

Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith fans weren;t thrilled with Rush either ..

( there were also the kids who liked James Taylor and Billy Joel, but we won;t talk about them )

Anyways, Rush has never fit neatly into any genre fan category ...

Even though in some circles, the appreciation for Rush has narrowed nowadays, I still feel there is some truth to this

.. and I've found people have a tendency to reject things very quickly that aren;t immediately familiar to them .. and Rush is unique

Plus, there is the factor of Geddy's voice ... I love it - it was the first thing that drew me into the band ... I guess some people don;t

Yeah rush was the nickleback of the 70s

As a fanboi i would try to sell the band to no avail. Of course years later they came around as fans

He who laughs last.....

Rush were not the Nickelback of the 70's. Nickelback are one of the biggest selling rock bands of all time and they are not respected as musicians. Nickelback are one of the most well known bands in the world. In the 70's Rush was not that well known. Rush has never been and will never be as mainstream as Nickelback.

Going back to middle school - a 6th grade kid entering a school with kids who, at the time, may as well have been adults .. All of a sudden, the odd and obscure bands that I liked that no one else seemed to know about were either loved or hated by the throngs of older kids .... and back then, Rush was disliked by the kids who like prog - Genesis, ELP, Yes fans didn;t like Rush because they were a grating, glorified bar band .....

Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith fans weren;t thrilled with Rush either ..

( there were also the kids who liked James Taylor and Billy Joel, but we won;t talk about them )

Even though in some circles, the appreciation for Rush has narrowed nowadays, I still feel there is some truth to this

.. and I've found people have a tendency to reject things very quickly that aren;t immediately familiar to them .. and Rush is unique

Plus, there is the factor of Geddy's voice ... I love it - it was the first thing that drew me into the band ... I guess some people don;t

As a fanboi i would try to sell the band to no avail. Of course years later they came around as fans

He who laughs last.....

Rush were not the Nickelback of the 70's. Nickelback are one of the biggest selling rock bands of all time and they are not respected as musicians. Nickelback are one of the most well known bands in the world. In the 70's Rush was not that well known. Rush has never been and will never be as mainstream as Nickelback.

Indeed

However my point was that rush was hated/ridiculed then like nickleback is now......

Ymmv

He who laughs last.....

Indeed

However my point was that rush was hated/ridiculed then like nickleback is now......

Ymmv

Erm...because Nickelback suck. Rush released music with an edge slightly ahead of its time, even if it did fit the eras conventions.

He who laughs last.....

Indeed

Ymmv

Erm...because Nickelback suck. Rush released music with an edge slightly ahead of its time, even if it did fit the eras conventions.

Its your opinion they suck. My point is that back in the day the opinion of the masses was that rush sucks. ..

From my perspective there was a huge shift on how rush was perceived by music fans circa moving pictures and exit stage left

He who laughs last.....

Indeed

Ymmv

Its your opinion they suck. My point is that back in the day the opinion of the masses was that rush sucks. ..

From my perspective there was a huge shift on how rush was perceived by music fans circa moving pictures and exit stage left

But Nickelback aren't doing anything on the scale that Rush were. Comparing them is ridiculous...Nickelback are basic, cliche, trite. They aren't pushing boundaries, trying crazy new ideas, musically nothing is difficult to take in to an established rock fan. Nothing challenges.

It isn't "my opinion that they suck", it's just that because you compared them to Rush in their heyday it's really, honestly, easy to point out that's a terrible comparison. Rush put people off because they were too much. Nickelback put people off because they offer too little.

Silver Side Up is hardly a Caress Of Steel.

He who laughs last.....

Indeed

Ymmv

But Nickelback aren't doing anything on the scale that Rush were. Comparing them is ridiculous...Nickelback are basic, cliche, trite. They aren't pushing boundaries, trying crazy new ideas, musically nothing is difficult to take in to an established rock fan. Nothing challenges.

It isn't "my opinion that they suck", it's just that because you compared them to Rush in their heyday it's really, honestly, easy to point out that's a terrible comparison. Rush put people off because they were too much. Nickelback put people off because they offer too little.

Silver Side Up is hardly a Caress Of Steel.

Look at what is quoted above. Then read the title of the thread.

If you dont care for my explanation thats cool.

Out of curiosity were you a fan in the mid 70's.....

Among my friends and acquaintances I am the only one who really likes Rush.The problem being is Rush never set a toenail here in Australia and never got on the radio.One classic line a mate said was “I don’t know it ,I don’t like it”.Some of my more musically inclined friends will rate their musicianship and maybe an album (2112,PW,MP)but I don’t see any of these in their collections.When I wear my MP t shirt people come up to me and say great band but they are mistaken for an 80s Australian band called Moving Pictures who had a totally crap one hit wonder.

I liked that band. Angel and the Madman, Streethearts, Busting Loose...

In a Midwest jr. high, in the (late) '70s, my friends thought they were a sci-fi nerd rock band. They weren't cool like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd, or even The Cars and Jackson Browne. Me and the long-haired kid who always wore baseball concert t's were about the only kids who liked Rush. We were also the only kids into Monty Python, for what that was worth.

In an East Coast high school, early '80s, my friends thought Rush was laughably pretentious. They weren't cool like The Clash and The Police, or even The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. I didn't know anyone else in my grade that liked Rush, not even with MP being a huge hit. There was a lanky, long-haired neighbor kid who liked them though. His older brother would sneer at us for liking Rush. He (the older brother) ended up in prison for selling cocaine IIRC. Not saying he deserved it for dissing Rush, but...

At any rate, the important thing was that if you wanted to get the girl, you didn't tell her you liked Rush. That was a generally good principal to follow (like girls who like classic Star Trek, there's always the geeky exception; lucky the geek that finds one of those). Still kind of true that advertising a fondness for Rush does not position you for a top spot on the Darwinian totem pole (no matter to me as I'm married, but my Rush interest further convinces my wife that she married beneath her).

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2